What vehicle do you drive?

Because all of those used cars - with the exception of the lexus and maybe Vette - will cost a ton to repair and maintain. While, for the posted price, you could have a newer car that won't shit the bed, then make you go broke. That Maser and Aston will NOT be reliable and you WILL spend a fucking ton to keep it going.

There is a very good reason that an 80-100k car new, turns into 1/3 of the price after a few years.
That Aston, was a fluke, that I listed as more of a shock that someone got such a deal; the 2006s on Manheim were selling for ~70k. If I cared enough, I might be able to go through the 1000's of old auctions and try to find its condition report. As for the Maserati, yea, I would hate to see the repair bills for it.

I doubt the newer model Porsche, BMW and Mercs break any more oft than a Ford if driven the same way. Sure its a bit more to repair, but if you find a good independent shop and dont look like a mark, it shouldn't kill someone that can drop 30K on a car.

I listed cars that should turn a Mustang buyers skirt. Generally, you dont buy a Mustang (or a performance package Focus) because its a reliable car.

There are no used cars that sell themselves on reliability for $30,000, they cost half that price or less and they are named Civic. For 30k, you could buy a 2010 Civic, mod it out to run 11s in the quarter and beat a Porsche around the N?rburgring; with money to spare. The only problem is you would still have a Civic that you couldn't sell for close to what you put into it.

That Aston, was a fluke, that I listed as more of a shock that someone got such a deal; the 2006s on Manheim were selling for ~70k. If I cared enough, I might be able to go through the 1000's of old auctions and try to find its condition report. As for the Maserati, yea, I would hate to see the repair bills for it.

I doubt the newer model Porsche, BMW and Mercs break any more oft than a Ford if driven the same way. Sure its a bit more to repair, but if you find a good independent shop and dont look like a mark, it shouldn't kill someone that can drop 30K on a car.

I listed cars that should turn a Mustang buyers skirt. Generally, you dont buy a Mustang (or a performance package Focus) because its a reliable car.

There are no used cars that sell themselves on reliability for $30,000, they cost half that price or less and they are named Civic. For 30k, you could buy a 2010 Civic, mod it out to run 11s in the quarter and beat a Porsche around the N?rburgring; with money to spare. The only problem is you would still have a Civic that you couldn't sell for close to what you put into it.
As someone who owned an M3 for 8 years, going the used route was great... but I definitely sank way more into maintaining that car than it was worth very, very quickly. Had it not been such a practical car, I probably wouldn't have kept it for as long as I did. Couple of thoughts as to what swayed me from going away from that route this time around:

You have to trust the previous owner(s) driving history and driving style and you're going to be paying for a lot more things on a used car that you wouldn't have to for a much longer time on a new car like the clutch and other items that wear down as you get into the high mileage areas. It was easy when I lived in LA as I knew where most people were driving and what kind of climate the cars were maintained in... if I were in the Pacific NW or in humid areas, I wouldn't be so sure.

Also it's not the typical maintenance items that are necessarily more expensive on the BMW or Merc... it's the unexpected shit on the more complicated cars. Have your fuel line get damaged? Congrats, you'll drop $1-2k on it on the M3 (ask me how I know). Catalytic converters take a dump? $2.5k please (thank goodness the warranty got extended for my model year due to a recall). VANOS decides to shit itself? Hope to hell that your engine is under warranty (or eat shit like my friend did with his far newer M3). It's not that those things can't happen with Fords or a Chevy or whatever, but chances are you can get a reliable replacement part far easier and cheaper

And one other thought - I used independent shops my entire time with the M3, but finding a good independent shop is a big thing. You can find Ford or Toyota dealerships all over the country... a BMW one? My buddy in North Dakota gets to drive to Winnipeg to get his maintained for things he can't do himself

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Regardless of how good of an independent shop you find VAG parts are fucking expensive.

Interesting. BWM was my other choice when I was looking for a car.

I guess I am glad I didn't go that route. $2,500 for some cats is beyond silly. The high quality performance street set of Cats for a Vette cost ~350.00 and a local muffler shop should be able to bang those out in a couple hours. At the dealer, for factory replacement, I couldn't see them charging more than $1,500, even if it was being charged to the factory as warranty work.

I keep reading about the "Corvette tax" on the Vette forums. It looks like they dont know about the BMW tax...

P.S. If yall are looking for a used car, I can look up and post the black book prices.

I'm not saying it's a bad route.. I got a hell of a car for 8 years. It's just at one point or another, you look at a car that eventually ends up worth $6-8k and you're wondering why you're putting $1k in on repairs and $1k on tires a year

You obviously have to pay to play, but for a performance vehicle that you're buying used, there's a lot more "premium" pieces that you need to pay for (and a big one people forget are that you're using pretty high end tires... the cheapest set of 4 tires I got for my M3 were $800ish a set. You can get 4 replacement sets for a regular ass car for that price)

Vette's aren't even that bad because they share a lot of parts with other cars, esp. the older Vettes where if you blew an engine, you could literally pull one out from a bunch of other Chevy's (not jsut Vettes) pretty damn easily. Blow a BMW M's engine and good fucking luck

Siliconemelons

I'm not saying it's a bad route.. I got a hell of a car for 8 years. It's just at one point or another, you look at a car that eventually ends up worth $6-8k and you're wondering why you're putting $1k in on repairs and $1k on tires a year

You obviously have to pay to play, but for a performance vehicle that you're buying used, there's a lot more "premium" pieces that you need to pay for (and a big one people forget are that you're using pretty high end tires... the cheapest set of 4 tires I got for my M3 were $800ish a set. You can get 4 replacement sets for a regular ass car for that price)

Vette's aren't even that bad because they share a lot of parts with other cars, esp. the older Vettes where if you blew an engine, you could literally pull one out from a bunch of other Chevy's (not jsut Vettes) pretty damn easily. Blow a BMW M's engine and good fucking luck
Re: Tires . or you have a truck SUV or van... I have never left a tire replacement for all 4 under 600$ even if I was to get the least expensive truck tires, buy 2 get 2, buy 3 get 1 whatever the hell deals etc... I envy cars that drive up and get the 4 tires for like 35$ each haha

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>

The last part about sharing parts is the main thing with American cars. The repairs/parts are generally cheaper even in a car like a Corvette because the parts involved are used in a huge number of cars. When you start talking about something like an M3, those engines were basically designed and built specifically for the M3. When you have a car that is built in such low numbers, the parts tend to be expensive. In something like a Corvette, half or more of the engine components are also used in like the Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Camaro etc. More parts built = cheaper price

The last part about sharing parts is the main thing with American cars. The repairs/parts are generally cheaper even in a car like a Corvette because the parts involved are used in a huge number of cars. When you start talking about something like an M3, those engines were basically designed and built specifically for the M3. When you have a car that is built in such low numbers, the parts tend to be expensive. In something like a Corvette, half or more of the engine components are also used in like the Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Camaro etc. More parts built = cheaper price
Same thing goes with mods... so many shared engines meaning shared parts which makes it extremely cheap if you go down the modding route

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Trying to find my lesbian mother a deal on a subaru and this gave me a giggle.. but i'm biased.

Subaru of Kings Automall: Thank you for choosing Subaru of Kings Automall!
System: We have alerted the online representatives that you are waiting. Someone should be with you momentarily.
System: A representative has joined the conversation. Compose your message and then click send.
You: Hello
You: How much do you really want for this 2014 Outback 3.6R limited?
Ruben Loaiza: Hello, How may I help you?
Ruben Loaiza: I am sure that we can work out a favorable price for you.
Ruben Loaiza: My name is Bob foster I am a sales consultant here and can help you negotiate a price with our management.
You: I'm not particularly interested in negotiating i'd just like to hear your price and i'll go from there.
Ruben Loaiza: Please give me a moment while I get that for you.
Ruben Loaiza: I was asked to try to get an offer from you, however, but I have asked as well. Will you make an offer?
Ruben Loaiza: Have you test driven a similar Outback?
You: Yes
Ruben Loaiza: Yes OK you have test driven. I have given the stock number to my manager to get a discounted price. Will you make an offer?
You: $1 bob

Siliconemelons

1$ Bob, priceless! Hahahah

maybe I should look at a Subaru, with that style of offer first you can tell they have a lot of cutback they can do.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Refreshing to see some realism and objectivity from people regarding what's affordable at a given price point - IE. not used Euro cars, lol.

Prices due to volume was spot on too; it does make a big difference a lot of the time. BUT, something like a 3 series BMW, which is not a cheap car given what you are buying, sells in huge, huge numbers around the world and parts/labor are still through the roof compared to other cars in the segment. They charge like they do, because they can. A good Independent shop is the way to go.

I may have just shot myself in the foot with my newest daily driver choice. I was originally going for a Lexus IS-F, but instead picked up a 2014 BWM 550i M Sport. Planning on unloading it before the warranty and free maintenance expire. Black on black (only 2 blue in the whole country and too many bullshit options on those).

image.php

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...I may have just shot myself in the foot with my newest daily driver choice. I was originally going for a Lexus IS-F, but instead picked up a 2014 BWM 550i M Sport. Planning on unloading it before the warranty and free maintenance expire. Black on black (only 2 blue in the whole country and too many bullshit options on those).

image.php
Beautiful car. It's got the same engine as my X6 and the exhaust sounds amazing!! Is that Carbon Black? (M exclusive color)

I still want to hear what the $4500 Bang & Olufsen stereo sounds like!

Siliconemelons

How much will you love it when your transmission fluid mixes with the coolant?
Round headlights not old style square- nor is it the current generation (no step on back bumper) - he should be good :)

Mother inlaw had a 2001 xterra - thing was a fing rock- the bastard did do the Nissan creek noise but so did my 2009 murano and the dealers just say "its just how they sound" - kinda like how 99% of all 90-2010 fords sound the same lol

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Beautiful car. It's got the same engine as my X6 and the exhaust sounds amazing!! Is that Carbon Black? (M exclusive color)

I still want to hear what the $4500 Bang & Olufsen stereo sounds like!
Pic is the Carbon Black - which is really a metallic blue and awesome, which is what I wanted - but they couldn't find me one and I didn't want to wait 4 months to have it built.

The B&O would have been sweet, but too much money for sound I think. And, speaking of sound, I think the exhaust is crap; a Prius sounds ballsier!! Already have a new exhaust being fabbed up
smile.png

redruM_sl

shitlord
So how do you feel about black wheels redrum?
I like black wheels, what can I say
smile.png

Easy to clean and can be dirty for a while and no one would be the wiser......

I am thinking my next car will be either:

CTS-V Sedan (09+)
Lexus ISF
CLS55 AMG

Unsure.....

Siliconemelons

I like black wheels, what can I say
smile.png

Easy to clean and can be dirty for a while and no one would be the wiser......

I am thinking my next car will be either:

CTS-V Sedan (09+)
Lexus ISF
CLS55 AMG

Unsure.....
I love black rims that are done right, ones that actually go with the style and flow of the car- its rare. Jeep and Ford had some stock-option black/dark grey rims for their GC and Mustangs lately that I think look really nice.