What vehicle do you drive?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven't seen an old civic 10+ years old for less than 10k in the past two years. I've considered selling my GTi to get an old beater so I have no debt but the prices turn me off every time. That prices includes non-running shitters.
Sounds about right. Nothing is going to be "cheap" for what we are used to. A deal these days is just 20-30%+ cheaper than what a dealer is selling them for.

Haven't seen any updates on the used car market in a while. It was starting to trend down but will probably stay fucked for a long while, before it settles into a new inflated higher normal.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Sounds about right. Nothing is going to be "cheap" for what we are used to. A deal these days is just 20-30%+ cheaper than what a dealer is selling them for.

Haven't seen any updates on the used car market in a while. It was starting to trend down but will probably stay fucked for a long while, before it settles into a new inflated higher normal.

Even the used market is all at dealerships now, no one sells on Facebook/Craigslist/Etc. Those prices would be a lot lower if dealerships didn't control just about all car inventory right now.

I just looked, I saw one car for less than 5k (Only looking at Hondas), it had 300k miles and was $3,400. Everything else was $7,500 and up with wild mile and year variations. This was looking at Cargurus since it seemed to have the most variety. Almost all of the cars were at a dealership.

Sludig

Buying a second vehicle will always be more expensive than keeping one on the road.
Direct cross savings on mpg etc, correct, insurance alone would eat up the savings for the most part. Though 100gallons a week at $3.3 (15mpg) is a chunk of change. But was thinking also in the sense of intangible opportunity cost of having to buy another truck sooner than I'd like and what the market would be like for something not electric without DEF bullshit or triple turbo blows up by 100k miles issues.

Granted still not the same as not treating a 911 or something as a daily.

Just need the wife to lose her love for the miata and let me drive it more, she's already said she lost some of the love for it (she doesn't like crawling down into it) So as long as we have 3 vehicles already we are covered for 1 being out of commission for any reason.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Even the used market is all at dealerships now, no one sells on Facebook/Craigslist/Etc. Those prices would be a lot lower if dealerships didn't control just about all car inventory right now.

I just looked, I saw one car for less than 5k (Only looking at Hondas), it had 300k miles and was $3,400. Everything else was $7,500 and up with wild mile and year variations. This was looking at Cargurus since it seemed to have the most variety. Almost all of the cars were at a dealership.
I bought 2 used vehicles at dealerships and got really good deals. I got my Tundra at one. I didn't want one that old, but the previous owner was an old guy and kept it in excellent shape and never missed services. Got it cheeeeap. Bought my Highlander out of state. $7k less than local used because it came from a market not big on AWD. Low miles, as new. It arrived the day they said it would, and they even sent me a 2nd fob for free 5 months after I bought it.

Sold GF's Honda at a dealership which I never would have done before, but they gave me exactly what I wanted for it and I didn't have to deal with shithead tire kickers coming to my house. Well, I did sell my Ford and Honda back to dealership, but that was only because they gave me what I paid for them just as covid car buying nuttiness started out.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
/Mario Here we go!

20230804_125719.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
E46 for me (and likely others) because it came out during my formative years and I always wanted one.
The E46 coupe is still a sexy fuckin' car. I don't care for the sedan as much.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
How I bought it

358162355_3484832915137685_5412567369666711233_n.jpg

Forks and Triple tree were bent - frame is straight (ok, about 0.5' off dead straight at steering head, but that is within factory tolerance and probably not caused by the accident)

IMG_6732.jpeg

Fitted new fork inners and had the triples straightened and all looking good geometry wise!

Rode it out of the garage tonight - still waiting on a Radiator and Front Guard (Fender?) but ready for registration and riding.

IMG_6803.jpeg

Headlight and indicators are all wrong, but they are factory Triumph (Off my '02 Bonneville America 800 - replaced by LEDs)
new ones will be ordered and fitted after rego check - can't have aftermarket ones on for the initial registration check - it wouldn't be passed.

Now to wait for the parts man to come . . . .

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
Took my Rocket III for a ride today - wow, what a machine!
A LOT of power . . . . about 140hp and 150 ft/lb torque . . . on a bike!
Amazing.

1692517510159.png

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Sludig

Call me when you want to step up to an H2.

Though I still wouldnt mind trying the newest Rocket amongst others just for the different form factor than a super sport.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do you assholes actually drive around w/o fire extinquishers in your car?

this looks fake to me, but buy a $30 extinquisher

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

do you assholes actually drive around w/o fire extinquishers in your car?

this looks fake to me, but buy a $30 extinquisher
Why? I'm not some dumbass that drives in areas where my extremely hot heads/exhaust/breaks are touching highly flammable material. I have also never taken such poor care of my car that it had a gas or oil leak that would pose a fire hazard.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So now that I've kinda given up on the fast car scene for now. (inventory, markups etc etc, and nail in the coffin being that I have utterly zero time to joyride with my farm + job and between here and Tulsa no roads that allow fun on the commute) Went back to a Tundra, and it should be good for >200k easy. THat being said still debating if it's worth trying to get a shitbox for most commutes since it's nearly 2 hours a day on the highway and that's just a lot of gas and miles for a 15mpg truck (hopefully 18 when I ditch the muds for some highway tires)

Would be nice to find something shit I can still try to make intersting, like we enjoyed our manual veloster Rally. I kinda would prefer to stay hatchback for some useability. But not sure what's going to be the best buy, any cheap pos I can find for like 10k but might only be 25mpg, or what might be worth getting that gets >30mpg. And if the potential higher cost of a hybrid or just higher cost with current gas prices would make that worth it. Just out of my element never shopping for mpg/basic bitch

I'm almost resigned to going out of state if I do, bumfuck oklahoma frequently has 2 year old cars with 50k miles on them, the mileage out here is ridiculous.

I did squeeze a few more rides out of my H2 death bike when we had a dip in temps, and I think I'll still hold onto it for now, it at least gets 40mpg cruising at 80mph, though 10k in positive equity would pretty much pay for the shitbox I could drive more of the year due to ac/heat

Used mazda3 manual

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Why? I'm not some dumbass that drives in areas where my extremely hot heads/exhaust/breaks are touching highly flammable material. I have also never taken such poor care of my car that it had a gas or oil leak that would pose a fire hazard.
Go watch a video of someone burning alive in a car crash and you’ll change your mind right quick. I’d rather be gassed by an extinguisher than go out like that.