What vehicle do you drive?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just picked this 1987, garage kept Honda Helix with just over 12k miles on it for $1500. The guy before me picked it up an an estate sale with just over 8k on it. He did all the maintenance on it and upgraded all the lights to LED.
View attachment 488610View attachment 488611View attachment 488612

Nice looking thing, very 80s. Always loved that 80s futurism stuff. Had an 84 Corvette once and the geeky dash was half the reason I bought it.

1693376882136.png

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Took it for a ride this morning, and the Rocket iii is now ready for registration - and it's a fucking beast!
Better power to weight than my brothers C4 Corvette, and right up there with an Aventador . . (0.65hp/kg)

Rocket iii Start, Test, and Ride - YouTube
To be fair, pretty much every car, that was not made in the 80s, has better power to weight ratio than a C4. The fucking environmental laws of the 80s destroyed horsepower production for a good 10 or so years there.

I loved my F-Body Trans Am GTA to death, but that car was slooooow...for a sports car. It had the same engine as the the C4, that put out a whopping 170 HP.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
To be fair, pretty much every car, that was not made in the 80s, has better power to weight ratio than a C4. The fucking environmental laws of the 80s destroyed horsepower production for a good 10 or so years there.

I loved my F-Body Trans Am GTA to death, but that car was slooooow...for a sports car. It had the same engine as the the C4, that put out a whopping 170 HP.

Well, I drive a Golf GTi, and it's pretty quick, but the C4 (1989?) definitely moves . . . Unsure if it's tweaked or not.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, I drive a Golf GTi, and it's pretty quick, but the C4 (1989?) definitely moves . . . Unsure if it's tweaked or not.
I always thought it was the lighter weight that made the C4 faster, but after reading around a bit more on it, the 88/89 vette got much more HP out of almost the exact same powertrain due to various upgrades they gave the Vette. The F-Bodys (Firebird/Camaro) had cast iron heads whereas the Vette had aluminum heads (which was huge), a different cam/manifold/exhaust, and a better tune, which lead to an extra ~70-80 more HP (240-250 total HP) (at least according to factory specs).

For as shitty as the 80's laws were on it, the L98 (small block 350TPI) is a somewhat popular engine (since it was used in the C4, Camaro, and Firebird) and a lot of people have messed with them in terms of mods too. So your brother could be getting even more out of it.

I was mostly making a joke about how fucked over vehicles were by the emission laws, but more seriously, the C4 got upgraded in 1992 with the LT1 engine, which put out more HP (300) and was a better powertrain. The C4 ran from 1984 to 1996, so your brother could have a C4 that wasn't as handicapped by the 80s.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea the 84 I had was pretty good off the line but it ran out of steam pretty quick. Moved to an LT1 car later on and it was a huge difference, had some actual top end so you could wind it up more. Then moved to an LS1 car and that's probably one of my top 3 engines in the 30-odd cars I've owned. Just does everything right.

State of the car makes a huge difference too, they're all old cars and who knows what's been done with them. I did a serious tune-up on the 84 (completely resealed everything from the block up, changed the timing chain, restored fuel pressure to spec, rebuilt the injectors etc) and it got like 50 hp back. Went from slow to at least decent.

• 1Like

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea the 84 I had was pretty good off the line but it ran out of steam pretty quick. Moved to an LT1 car later on and it was a huge difference, had some actual top end so you could wind it up more. Then moved to an LS1 car and that's probably one of my top 3 engines in the 30-odd cars I've owned. Just does everything right.

State of the car makes a huge difference too, they're all old cars and who knows what's been done with them. I did a serious tune-up on the 84 (completely resealed everything from the block up, changed the timing chain, restored fuel pressure to spec, rebuilt the injectors etc) and it got like 50 hp back. Went from slow to at least decent.

Well, he lives in Western Australia, so it's probably an ex-US Military member's car.
Also: WA has some of the most lenient emissions laws in Australia, so . . .. . I"m assuming it's 'had some work'

Attachments

• IMG_4585.jpeg
    IMG_4585.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, he lives in Western Australia, so it's probably an ex-US Military member's car.
Also: WA has some of the most lenient emissions laws in Australia, so . . .. . I"m assuming it's 'had some work'

89 had better aluminium heads already (84 and early TPI cars had bad flowing iron heads), just a cam and a tune will do a lot. Corvette or not, it's still just a small block chevy, mod options are plentiful.