What vehicle do you drive?

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I’m curious how long ago this was, from what I understand they’ve made quite a few improvements with infotainment. Redesign and just/are about to offer the fancy tonneaux cover.

At this point we’re still in “early adopter” territory so you pretty much have to expect some stuff like this. From what I can tell they’re moving in the right direction 🤷‍♂️
I drove it last winter, but it was definitely a launch edition vehicle.

I guess, for reference, that powered tonneau cover on the vehicle I drove was completely dropped, it's not even available now. In a way it's too bad, it was nice conceptually, but it definitely sounded terrible in operation. I predicted it wouldn't have any lasting durability and I guess I was right.

I should say, I don't think driving one for a day is giving any infotainment system a fair shake. Frankly, though, I'm pretty biased against OEM bullshit when Android Auto / Carplay are just about perfect. Just let me plug in my damn phone and use a superior interface that has a working data connection and all my accounts/settings already present.

Nothing wrong with being an early adopter, but for that price, I'll let someone else suffer. I would agree, they do seem to be moving in the right direction, but they have a big uphill battle considering they've got a big gap to close for profitability and some of those quality issues show a clear lack of polish. In my mind, they're sort of in the same situation as Ford right now - they have a great product, but sub-standard execution.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I drove it last winter, but it was definitely a launch edition vehicle.

I guess, for reference, that powered tonneau cover on the vehicle I drove was completely dropped, it's not even available now. In a way it's too bad, it was nice conceptually, but it definitely sounded terrible in operation. I predicted it wouldn't have any lasting durability and I guess I was right.

I should say, I don't think driving one for a day is giving any infotainment system a fair shake. Frankly, though, I'm pretty biased against OEM bullshit when Android Auto / Carplay are just about perfect. Just let me plug in my damn phone and use a superior interface that has a working data connection and all my accounts/settings already present.

Nothing wrong with being an early adopter, but for that price, I'll let someone else suffer. I would agree, they do seem to be moving in the right direction, but they have a big uphill battle considering they've got a big gap to close for profitability and some of those quality issues show a clear lack of polish. In my mind, they're sort of in the same situation as Ford right now - they have a great product, but sub-standard execution.
I'm a (semi)rational Rivian fanboy, so I'm pretty up to speed. The tonneau was designed w/ only one motor and it wasn't mounted in the middle so uneven tension while retracting caused the gears on either side to be 'out of sync'. Eventually they fully misalign and the cover is stuck.

I'm on board with the majority of OEM UIs being terrible, though I don't have much experience w/ the more modern implementations except our Model 3 which my wife primarily drives.

Tonneau teardown/review:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Interesting

Will have to see the stats. But I would have to wonder if this makes sense. You're taking 100% of EV power train complexity and marrying it to 95% of ICE maintenance. I'm sure it's going to be ungodly expensive.

Really I just want a dirt cheap fun 2 seat EV commuter car that I can charge 110 with no issues, but no can't have that.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Siliconemelons

Interesting

Will have to see the stats. But I would have to wonder if this makes sense. You're taking 100% of EV power train complexity and marrying it to 95% of ICE maintenance. I'm sure it's going to be ungodly expensive.

Really I just want a dirt cheap fun 2 seat EV commuter car that I can charge 110 with no issues, but no can't have that.

That truck is essentially how the Pacifica plug in hybrid works but with a full sized EV battery rather than a small one.

I have the Pacifica, rarely does the v6 drive the car even when the battery is out, and it is in hybrid mode.The v6 makes the energy to drive the electric motor. You can feel when the v6 gas takes over the drive if you push it hard, hills etc.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That truck is essentially how the Pacifica plug in hybrid works but with a full sized EV battery rather than a small one.

I have the Pacifica, rarely does the v6 drive the car even when the battery is out, and it is in hybrid mode.The v6 makes the energy to drive the electric motor. You can feel when the v6 gas takes over the drive if you push it hard, hills etc.

The article is saying the engine is only a generator.

Siliconemelons

The article is saying the engine is only a generator.

yes it’s an advancement on the platform, that the plug in hybrid Pacifica uses.

when my Pacifica battery is “out” the v6 turns on, it is not driving the car, it’s powering the battery / the electric motor. You can tell because acceleration does nothing to the v6 engine noise etc.you can watch you ev power consumption and when the gas kicks “completely” in you watch the ev power consumption drop to nothing, now yes in the case of the Pacifica if I push it hard or go up a hill, it kicks in to have the gas v6 drive the cars powertrain as a) the ev motor can’t do it, or b) it needs more power than the v6 can generate.

this truck is an advancement on that in terms of the v6 can now make enough power to always have the ev motor drive it

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
There are a lot of people doing corvette/mustang/miata conversions.

I'm with you and I'm eyeing the 718 EV as long as they don't jew me too bad on pricing.

• 1Jew

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I'm with you and I'm eyeing the 718 EV as long as they don't jew me too bad on pricing.
I'm sure it will be cool, but how will that be any different than every other luxury branded EV right now?

I guess my primary problem isn't just EVs, but the pricing and framing of the entire industry goes to the moon when you add inefficient low volume EV drivetrains on top of it. It's so bloated and with post-COVID pricing and inflation is in stark contrast to the minimalist schemes these cars now have. It's literally just a computer screen and two pedals now.

I realize there's a lot of regulatory differences and whatever, but at least the Asian automakers seem to be having some sort of vital innovation going on.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure it will be cool, but how will that be any different than every other luxury branded EV right now?

I guess my primary problem isn't just EVs, but the pricing and framing of the entire industry goes to the moon when you add inefficient low volume EV drivetrains on top of it. It's so bloated and with post-COVID pricing and inflation is in stark contrast to the minimalist schemes these cars now have. It's literally just a computer screen and two pedals now.

I realize there's a lot of regulatory differences and whatever, but at least the Asian automakers seem to be having some sort of vital innovation going on.
I want a small 2 seat EV since I've had sports cars all my life. I've done the cheap project car thing and didn't like it one bit. If I can get one of the 718 EV's thats reasonably close to my Model 3P in speed and looks and drives like a Porsche, I'm fine with that. There are currently 0 EV sports cars being sold aside from exotics and the original Tesla roadster.

I obviously am fine with the current state of EV's since I have two.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Interesting

I really want to see full price and mileage stats. I'm interested enough that I put in the $100 for a reservation - mostly as a gamble to re-sell my spot in line if it's an early model, but I might bite if I like it regardless. 140 mile estimated range on the battery seems low considering it's a 91 kWh battery. The F150 Lightning standard range can do 230 miles with a 98 kWh battery.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Bros, I had a dream I was driving a baby blue Singer Porsche. It has been prophesized!

Cad Cad , who and how do I sue someone for easy money?

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Bros, I had a dream I was driving a baby blue Singer Porsche. It has been prophesized!

Cad Cad , who and how do I sue someone for easy money?
Go provoke a walmart employee to attack you and then sue them, easy millions if you don't mind the risk.

• 1Mother of God

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>

It's Porsche, of course they are going to jew you on the pricing/options

• 1Jew

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Go provoke a walmart employee to attack you and then sue them, easy millions if you don't mind the risk.
mark-cuban-shark-tank.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Just got this to add to the German sports car collection...

Attachments

• sq5.jpg
    sq5.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users