What vehicle do you drive?

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I have had 2 of them. I have the 2023 (and the side mirrors don't retract like that).

It is the most fun, greatest car I have ever owned. You'll love it. Good choice.

My only beef with it was the is the deletion of almost all buttons and knobs in favor of an extensive touch screen interface. It's a DRIVER'S automobile. We prefer to keep our eyes on the road.

Mine is 6sp MT. VW said 2023 was the last year for it, but lied...

Nice choice! Great color.

These are mine:

View attachment 503681

Agreed; getting rid of buttons sucks but most of the time I am not really needing to touch anything anyways. I basically set my car temp once and rarely ever change it throughout the year. I have it set to automatically turn on heated or cooled seats pending the temperatures so I dont really need to adjust that either. The 24' model introduced the auto-folding mirrors.

Mine is a DSG as this will be mainly a daily driver for me (65 miles 3-days a week roundtrip to work) and my commute has some stop/go traffic. I also have a truck and SUV but since I drive to/from work a decent amount + other 100+ mile commutes here and there, I wanted something that will atleast put a smile on my face during said driving. Most people would buy beater cars, my mindset is "if you're in a car for extended periods often, get something that you actually enjoy driving."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Plus I added this recently:
1702157945435.png

It's pretty damn fun too...
I can use launch mode because this one is not a 6sp.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Agreed; getting rid of buttons sucks but most of the time I am not really needing to touch anything anyways. I basically set my car temp once and rarely ever change it throughout the year. I have it set to automatically turn on heated or cooled seats pending the temperatures so I dont really need to adjust that either. The 24' model introduced the auto-folding mirrors.

Mine is a DSG as this will be mainly a daily driver for me (65 miles 3-days a week roundtrip to work) and my commute has some stop/go traffic. I also have a truck and SUV but since I drive to/from work a decent amount + other 100+ mile commutes here and there, I wanted something that will atleast put a smile on my face during said driving. Most people would buy beater cars, my mindset is "if you're in a car for extended periods often, get something that you actually enjoy driving."
It is just about the most fun-driving car at it's price point. I love them both, but the black one is getting on in miles (120K+) and needs a few things.

I drive a ton.

I wish the winter wheel set fit both of them, but it doesn't. 17" wheels don't clear the calibers in the 2023, so I bought a set of Nexens (see my other posts on that quagmire). Buying tires, ugh. Too much data most of it unintelligible/uninterpretable. So far the Nexens are nice and much quieter than the Blizzaks. But they have not had their actual deep snow test yet.

Last edited:

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Besides-- even though it is kind of stupid, the VW voice interface is actually great. It's too stupid now to try and find the defrost "button" or set the temperature for the interior (especially at night; engineering geniuses at VW give you overhead lights that you can never shut off but NO backlight to the temperature control touch bars).

BUT you can say "Hey Volkswagon defrost the windows," or "Volkswagen set the temperature to 68 degrees" etc and it does do it. The BMW X3 used to just say "Pardon?"

I kind of hate doing it, but it works and it's easy. With the black car, using the knobs is intuitive and I can do most controls/functions almost without thinking. Both are 6sp...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The haptic buttons don't bother me, the software bugs drive me insane though. Heated wheel won't turn off and comes on by itself, infotainment screws up constantly, all driver assists fail constantly and for some reason GPS works about 50% of the time when using android auto.

It's a blast to drive though.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
It is just about the most fun-driving car at it's price point. I love them both, but the black one is getting on in miles (120K+) and needs a few things.

I drive a ton.

I wish the winter wheel set fit both of them, but it doesn't. 17" wheels don't clear the calibers in the 2023, so I bought a set of Nexens (see my other posts on that quagmire). Buying tires, ugh. Too much data most of it unintelligible/uninterruptible. So far the Nexens are nice and much quieter than the Blizzaks. But they have not had their actual deep snow test yet.

I have summer tires on mine but I do live in a place that gets some snow/ice (just not super often or in large quantities) so i'll likely just go all-seasons (blasphemous, I know). Likely the tried-and-true Michelin AS4+ or Continential DWS06+. We've just been having "good" winter weather here (low/mid 40s to low 50s; kind-of uncharacteristic) over the last month to make me not really bite-the-bullet.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I've taken the older R through white-out, mountainous terrain. It's damn good with snows, that is for sure. The summer Pilots that it comes with are super fun, but when you have to travel and conditions are extreme, I go with the snows. If you don't have to, then all-seasons are a reasonable and far less expensive option.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
The haptic buttons don't bother me, the software bugs drive me insane though. Heated wheel won't turn off and comes on by itself, infotainment screws up constantly, all driver assists fail constantly and for some reason GPS works about 50% of the time when using android auto.

It's a blast to drive though.
The heated steering wheel thing is a bit of a mystery to me too-- it comes on (but not full force as if you put it on manually). I have had some of the driver assist functions altered with an ECU (APR) tune on both. I am not a fan of the "car decides for itself" how close you can get to another car.

Last other bad decision for the vehicle was the hand brake delete (for me, anyway with a 6 sp mt). I mean, why?

Still best cars ever to drive.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The heated steering wheel thing is a bit of a mystery to me too-- it comes on (but not full force as if you put it on manually). I have had some of the driver assist functions altered with an ECU (APR) tune on both. I am not a fan of the "car decides for itself" how close you can get to another car.

Last other bad decision for the vehicle was the hand brake delete (for me, anyway with a 6 sp mt). I mean, why?

Still best cars ever to drive.

I noticed it comes on automatically when it's cold enough, but sometimes in teh summer it jsut comes on and won't go off, I hate it. The too close/auto braking shit sucks too.

• 1Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
It's too stupid now to try and find the defrost "button" or set the temperature for the interior

Remove buttons, replace with voice controls that require a dozen+ electrical components to be in perfect shape; in order to work half the time.

If only there was a fun, cheap, more reliable option with knobs and buttons. Oh well.

I am not a fan of the "car decides for itself" how close you can get to another car.

While we're fantasizing, a hand brake and the ability to turn off all nannies would also be nice.

20231117_070315 - Copy.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Remove buttons, replace with voice controls that require a dozen+ electrical components to be in perfect shape; in order to work half the time.

If only there was a fun, cheap, more reliable option with knobs and buttons. Oh well.

While we're fantasizing, a hand brake and the ability to turn off all nannies would also be nice.

View attachment 503686
That was my other car-- BETTER in the snow than just about any other car of it's size. Another fun as hell car. BUT-- unlike the VW Golf R, the car comes with just too much cheap, shitty crap that needs to be replaced (or modified) for it to be at the level of the Golf.

Cheap as shit interior. Plastics that break and snap for no reason at all. Interior lighting that is dim and yellow. A radio and electronics that are so crappy that you need to replace them (unlike the VW that is just too technologically advanced for its own good).

However-- if you are willing to put $$ into the car, it becomes what the R already is. I upgraded the fuel injectors, the lighting, had an invidia up pipe and down pipe (the down pipe-- the single best mod for the money for the WRX), a full hand-made MadDad exhaust, an ECS performance tune, a short shifter, an after market radio and THEN the car was fun as shit. Stock it is okay, but nothing at all like the car it became. It makes no sense to me to this day to leave all the potential of the WRX for the end-user to tap into. It would be like buying a the best gaming computer in the world with a shit processor and an old TV as a monitor with no controllers... Maybe that is a bad example.

The WRX became a monster but it cost a ton to do it. Even the somewhat "sloshy" stock clutch on the Golf R has an elegance to it that Subaru stock clutches just don't have. I can get a short shifter for the Golf R. There are a lot of options, but even though VW probably hasn't changed the cable-linkage clutch mechanism of their cars in two or three decades, they don't really have to because (even with the long throws), the shifting is precise and exact. If you want to replace a working, fully functional longer throw with a short, notchy mechanism like an APR short shifter or the "Holy Shift" you can, but that's a matter of personal preference rather than required performance.

Subaru (and I LOVE them for an all season car-- I have owned THREE of them) does not really have an "upper eschalon" level of car, and don't try the STI argument because it doesn't hold water. They are all like trailer homes-- you can make them nice but you have to work hard at it to do so (and you'll still never have a mansion). The best and sloset thing I had in a Subaru to a "luxury" car was a v6 Outback.

Last edited:

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
And the fucking staties LOVED to pull me over in the WRX... The Golf R doesn't call that sort of attention to them.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
WRX are great, but it's harder and harder to justify some of the cost cutting as time goes on. At one point, WRX and Evo were basically some of the only affordable hot sedans/hatchbacks in the US and they were basically cheap enough and fast while still being a practical 4/5 door with AWD (unlike the smaller Golf). Nowadays everything has 200-300 hp turbo 4s, AWD is common, basic interiors are getting pretty decent and it's hard to justify 50k for a nicely equipped WRX when the biggest ask you have for the handling is pulling on a freeway on ramp. I think the glory days are over for that segment because everything is being price floored so high. They are basically double new what they were back in like 2009-2012 era.

• 1Solidarity

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
And the fucking staties LOVED to pull me over in the WRX... The Golf R doesn't call that sort of attention to them.

Sounds like they loved pulling you over for having lots of mods to make the exhaust and sound system loud, did you also get a wing?

I haven't been pulled over since buying it, spring 2021.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sounds like they loved pulling you over for having lots of mods to make the exhaust and sound system loud, did you also get a wing?

Officer, what do you mean "is it stock"?

spoiler.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>

Nope.
No wing and it wasn't much louder than stock.

Favorite ticket of all time: 29 in a 25 in Waitsfield, Vermont in the WRX.

• 1Tiresome

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nope.
No wing and it wasn't much louder than stock.

Favorite ticket of all time: 29 in a 25 in Waitsfield, Vermont in the WRX.
I mean those small towns that's a big source if revenue. Gotta be on very good behavior.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WRX are great, but it's harder and harder to justify some of the cost cutting as time goes on. At one point, WRX and Evo were basically some of the only affordable hot sedans/hatchbacks in the US and they were basically cheap enough and fast while still being a practical 4/5 door with AWD (unlike the smaller Golf). Nowadays everything has 200-300 hp turbo 4s, AWD is common, basic interiors are getting pretty decent and it's hard to justify 50k for a nicely equipped WRX when the biggest ask you have for the handling is pulling on a freeway on ramp. I think the glory days are over for that segment because everything is being price floored so high. They are basically double new what they were back in like 2009-2012 era.
I bought a brand new WRX hatch in ‘09 for $23,000. Was my last Subaru, unfortunately.