What vehicle do you drive?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know that makes sense on paper but I’m going to pay cash. The convenience of having a wire sent is more than dealing with any paper work or talk on financing. I know I’ll get a ton of flack from everyone for my decision here but I’ll just have to take that.

I’m not worried about the price as much as the potential headache these new vehicles can have with the insane amount of gizmos and gadgets in them. I’m wondering if the days of keeping a vehicle 10 years may be gone.

Just got off the phone with one of the dealers. Going to put down a $500 refundable deposit. Ordering it will give me a little time to marinate more on the transition to a new vehicle and also some time to see if I can find an abs module from a salvage yard to fix my current truck’s abs.

Was talking with a diesel mechanic yesterday and he was trying to convince me to not go with diesel due to current towing requirements and all the added maintenance/emissions shit. He’s 100% right and I can’t disagree. I’m well aware of extra maintenance on diesel as I’ve had mine 13 years. I used to tow 16k lbs of boat and needed diesel. I guess I just want the option to be able to tow 14-20k at the bumper just in case. Who knows, maybe I’ll buy a boat in 6 years.

There's no getting away from cameras and other complicated electronics in a new car because most of that that stuff is required for now mandatory systems like lane assist, autonomous emergency braking etc.
That said, I think most people underestimate how much electronics there are in 10-20 year old cars. Even if that car has a knob you turn to control the interior temperature, that knob hasn't had a mechanical connection to a water or air control valve since the 90s, it's all controlled via some electronic module. It's just become more apparent to the average user when they now control temperature via a touchscreen instead of turning a knob on what is essentially a purpose-shaped computer keyboard.

For new cars, fully electric is actually the simplest option now since there isn't any emissions control shit to go wrong.

Towing a heavy ass boat, maybe, in 6 years? Sounds like the sort of abuse you get a rental for, not something I'd base my decision on now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Found two dealers who I feel comfortable putting an order in with.

It’s insane the amount of electronics in these vehicles. 6 or so cameras, sensors in all bumpers etc. All I can think about it how expensive this thing will be to repair. I’m starting to think that my ideology of driving vehicles 10-14 years just isn’t going to work anymore. It sucks. I go to ford, gm, duramax, power stroke forums and read people complain about dumb electronics shit that doesn’t work but don’t worry an OTA update is otw or fixed it.

Am I trying to avoid in inevitable? The future where cars are like iPhones with limited lifespan. How much weight should I put on people complaining about issues on forums? So far it’s nothing that seems to be a consistent issue for everyone. A few issues consistent for a few people. Allegedly Allison no longer makes the trannies for GM, they are “Allison certified”. I assume Allison sold the IP to gm because it wasn’t profitable enough for them. I’ve heard a few issues with this 10 speed Allison.

You guys buying all these new cars with fancy electronics shit like 360 degree cameras and shit, how often do you run into issues? Am I overthinking this shit?
The single rear back up camera on a big truck is the only 'new' electronic gadget that I find useful. That's mostly because 2500 and 3500 trucks have gotten way too big and especially tall. It also makes lining up a trailer hitch/ball incredibly easy. Other than that I turn off pretty much every other option in my truck. Rain sensing wipers, nah. Turn my mirrors down when I put it in reverse, nope. Auto high beams, dimmers, no thank you. Auto climate control, off please.

The only extra thing I like in my truck is a good stereo without needing to go aftermarket. The problem is you can't get that without going with the higher end packages.

Honestly if I had to do it again I would get a completely stripped down work truck, then put the saved money towards a nice car. New HD trucks are just too big and bulky these days to be a good daily driver. My new 3/4 ton feels like I'm driving one of my old dump trucks. I really miss the 3/4 tons from around 2004 - 2010.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw a Lamborghini SUV in my podunk town driven by a man, what self respecting man buys that shit? I'd rather drive a Pontiac Aztek then have to explain to a group of my friends that I purchased a Lamborghini SUV.
If you had the money, you would understand.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would buy literally any other car before I bought a Lambo SUV.
Lol

I mean, I don’t disagree. I got the Cayenne GT instead. Looks better, cheaper, and also more classy and faster. But, there is definitely an appeal to the Urus, in dark colors.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If it was a Urus, iirc those are fast enough that I wouldn't care if it looked like an old vw beetle, though im sure it's not going to handle a salom course great.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are other options:
1707008922332.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If it was a Urus, iirc those are fast enough that I wouldn't care if it looked like an old vw beetle, though im sure it's not going to handle a salom course great.
It will handle better than 95% of all cars sold today.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Saw a Lamborghini SUV in my podunk town driven by a man, what self respecting man buys that shit? I'd rather drive a Pontiac Aztek then have to explain to a group of my friends that I purchased a Lamborghini SUV.
I feel the same way about Porsche Cayennes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I don't like it but it's like the poor man's Porsche to me. They got pretty cheap before Covid but I'd rather hold out for a Cayman S.
I remember years ago when BMW came out with the station wagon version of the Z3 thinking that’s the only BMW the wife of that poor sap driving it would let him buy.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Used were going for close to 40k when I was looking but I couldn't bring myself to buy one.
What we going for that little? Something 5-8 years old? Base models? Go look for a GTS, Turbo, or Turbo GT and you're paying $100-$200k used. I would agree that the Macan is not a car Porsche "should" make, but the sale of them allows Porsche to make the 911 variants and other shit we want.

The Cayene is my daily and its damn fucking good. But, I still have a GT3 and a Turbo S for when I want to "drive" something.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cayenne is a great used buy, the depreciation on those is huge. Over here, 25k gets you a 2011 Cayenne, a clean 1999 911 or a pile of rust that has been sitting in a field for 30 years if you want the really desirable model.

1707028653917.png

1707028696435.png

1707028727075.png

1707028776850.png

1707028803396.png

1707028829389.png

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I was curious so loaded up the configurator and basically just tried to max it out. I'm sure there's another $15k in there somewhere. Dunno what I'd get if I had ~200k to spend on a sporty/performance small SUV.

1707034081454.png

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
There's no getting away from cameras and other complicated electronics in a new car because most of that that stuff is required for now mandatory systems like lane assist, autonomous emergency braking etc.
That said, I think most people underestimate how much electronics there are in 10-20 year old cars. Even if that car has a knob you turn to control the interior temperature, that knob hasn't had a mechanical connection to a water or air control valve since the 90s, it's all controlled via some electronic module. It's just become more apparent to the average user when they now control temperature via a touchscreen instead of turning a knob on what is essentially a purpose-shaped computer keyboard.

For new cars, fully electric is actually the simplest option now since there isn't any emissions control shit to go wrong.

Towing a heavy ass boat, maybe, in 6 years? Sounds like the sort of abuse you get a rental for, not something I'd base my decision on now.
You’re spot on. I thought my truck from 09 would last forever due to “lack of electronics”. Meanwhile it’s been completely cucked by a broken ABS module that’s discontinued and can’t be repaired because newer (2005ish+) vehicle electronics often use PUFs on silicone I believe. I think that whole “not buying a new car due to electronics” ship sailed sometime in the 90s. Yeah, the logical decision would to buy based on current needs.
The single rear back up camera on a big truck is the only 'new' electronic gadget that I find useful. That's mostly because 2500 and 3500 trucks have gotten way too big and especially tall. It also makes lining up a trailer hitch/ball incredibly easy. Other than that I turn off pretty much every other option in my truck. Rain sensing wipers, nah. Turn my mirrors down when I put it in reverse, nope. Auto high beams, dimmers, no thank you. Auto climate control, off please.

The only extra thing I like in my truck is a good stereo without needing to go aftermarket. The problem is you can't get that without going with the higher end packages.

Honestly if I had to do it again I would get a completely stripped down work truck, then put the saved money towards a nice car. New HD trucks are just too big and bulky these days to be a good daily driver. My new 3/4 ton feels like I'm driving one of my old dump trucks. I really miss the 3/4 tons from around 2004 - 2010.
Yeah I actually did read people on forums saying these new HDs were physically bigger. Think I read one that said new gym HDs are 5 inches longer than they used to be. Not sure when that changed happened but probably after mine. I’m used to driving a big 3/4 truck but I am curious if I’ll notice the size difference. If I could get the ABS module fixed/replaced on this truck then I’d just keep it since it’s still a solid work truck. It’s nice having a truck old enough that you don’t worry about minor scratches and shit when your hauling gravel or doing other work truck stuff.

• 1Harrow

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
You’re spot on. I thought my truck from 09 would last forever due to “lack of electronics”. Meanwhile it’s been completely cucked by a broken ABS module that’s discontinued and can’t be repaired because newer (2005ish+) vehicle electronics often use PUFs on silicone I believe. I think that whole “not buying a new car due to electronics” ship sailed sometime in the 90s. Yeah, the logical decision would to buy based on current needs.

Curious where you saw/heard that. I wouldn't think a vehicle of that vintage would would have much in the way of any security functions - cybersecurity only started being a really hot topic about 5ish years ago. I can't speak to everything a supplier might add though to prevent tampering, especially for a safety critical part. I would think it would be potentially repairable.