What vehicle do you drive?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, this video essentially reinforces that - I feel the same way. In a world of amorphous white/black/grey blobs I love that a vehicle like that exists, really, but the execution is hilarious, and yeah those guys are (not quite at the same level) Top Gears heir apparents. Their GX550 video dropped today and it was also brilliantly reviewed.
I wish they were harsher at times though but that's the realtors of having to get auto makers work with you.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Love Throttle House. Best car show on YT.

Cyber Truck as a design exercise is interesting. But, as a vehicle to live with, it’s fucking stupid.
Great review video. Pretty much solidifies for me that I can't get one. Between the a pillar blindspots, frunk that could potentially amputate fingers, sharp body panels, and basically only camera based rear view mirror, it's way too compromised to be a daily driver, especially with a kid.

If I was young and single it'd get some attention, but I think it'd be mostly like a Nissan GTR, where it'd be the wrong attention.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Welp, tempted fate and got what i deserve i guess. Water pump siezed and snapped the serpentine belt as i was pulling into work. Took out a radiator hose too.
damn, you got karma'd the fuck up

i wouldn't be talking about nutting for a while, unless you hate jimmy, then keep on talking about jimmy

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Welp, got my 24 Silverado 2500 duramax order in. Amazing how expensive these have gotten but hey I’m comparing to buying 14 years ago.

I think manufacturers have done a lot better on making vehicles look good stock with options offered. Current truck I leveled and added new wheels and tires. Keep the new one completely stock.

Probably should have looked at f250 but fuck the wheel options and chrome tailgate/front grill are ugly. Also trying to resist adopting a fully aluminum truck. Shit is hard to do body work on if you ever get in a fender bender.

• 2Like
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Good ole boy mechanic is working out. Dude with a garage with lifts behind his jankity house. Trucks in various stages of repair around the property. 3-4 dudes wrenching around. Sure enough the clamp on the turbo downpipe was loose resulting in exhaust leak. The intermittent excessive white smoke was most likely when it was doing a regen.

The EBCM is as I thought - they have come up with the same conclusion which is really directly from GM on how to go about fixing this code and that is the hydraulic modulator valve is recommended to be replaced first (this directly attaches to ebcm) and if that doesn’t work then the ebcm. Of course my dealer was a retard and wanted to replace the ebcm. The dealer mechanic is one dumb dude, he tried to say I needed new UCAs when upper ball joints were bad LOL.

So do to nature of 50/50 chance modulator valve could be issue I think the best bet is to try a salvaged unit that contains both valve and ebcm. I’ve found one online but they will call their local yard to see if they can find locally.

Im still going to go ahead and sell the truck and stick with the new order. It’s time to just embrace the future and the headache of dealing with hard to find parts isn’t worth the squeeze. This will be a great truck for someone who has time/tools to fix it and tinker. It’s an 09 2500 duramax LTZ with 130k miles. I think I could maybe get 18-24k for it if I sell privately…

It does have one bad rear park assist sensor which throws “service park assist” on dash. Wondering if it’s worth fixing before selling? Could probably fix for under 300 with part + labor. Juice worth the squeeze on that?

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
If it is just a sensor, pop under there and toss in a new one. They are cheap. $35 for 4 w/new housings.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
If it is just a sensor, pop under there and toss in a new one. They are cheap. $35 for 4 w/new housings.
Agreed, could even just be the connector. I'd try re-seating all 4 connectors first (assuming you don't have the dtc to pinpoint the correct one).

Each is most likely either 2 wires or 3. If 2 wires the SONAR module is stimulating the sensor, a little harder to troubleshoot if it turns out to be a harness issue. If 3 wires, most likely it's power, ground, and LIN, so, you'd be able to confirm continuity to ground and likely 5V on the power pin with a simple multimeter.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
. The dealer mechanic is one dumb dude, he tried to say I needed new UCAs when upper ball joints were bad LOL.

On most vehicles the ball joints are pressed into the control arm and not replaceable separately so that would be the correct fix. Even if they're replaceable it's often worthwhile to swap the entire control arm since about the same amount of work, and since pressing a ball joint out of a used arm sometimes mangles it to where a new one won't seat properly you run the risk of having to order more parts halfway through a job. I'd always do it that was if I was running a shop, less chance of comebacks.

Looking for a 09 Silverado 2500, the cheapest balljoint is about $7 and a full control arm is $25. No way I'd bother pressing one out for $18 savings. You'd get new bushings too.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
On most vehicles the ball joints are pressed into the control arm and not replaceable separately so that would be the correct fix. Even if they're replaceable it's often worthwhile to swap the entire control arm since about the same amount of work, and since pressing a ball joint out of a used arm sometimes mangles it to where a new one won't seat properly you run the risk of having to order more parts halfway through a job. I'd always do it that was if I was running a shop, less chance of comebacks.

Looking for a 09 Silverado 2500, the cheapest balljoint is about $7 and a full control arm is $25. No way I'd bother pressing one out for $18 savings. You'd get new bushings too.
$25 for an entire UCA? Cheapest I’ve seen oem is around $150. Sounds like maybe cardone or someone else..

Yeah most are press in however I have aftermarket UCAs that add a little bit more travel due to slightly cranked torsion bars. They use a GM bolt in ballpoint from the 90s that’s like a $20 moog part. It’s an easy swap.

Even if they felt uncomfortable bolting in the new ball joints, I would have preferred they tell me “hey your balljoints are bad, they look aftermarket, normally we replace the entire UCA so that’s what we suggest” rather than telling me I need an entire UCA. It’s fine, I’ve always used a third party shop for suspension since these guys can’t catch small things like that.

Their diesel mechanic is a retard. He should have suggested I replace my hydraulic brake pressure modulator valve before my ebcm. New diesel shop behind some old dude house with good ole boys is working out a lot better for me now it seems lol.

Sludig

@burrenI know you like the F type, but what about cross shopped on a couple year old modest C8. Like think just lt1, not really got the money for a z06 like I could dream.

Was thinking getting the F more towards next year trying to snag a 2020+ for a good discount, but I'm not sure what prices will do with any economic downturn tempered against apparently production stops in a couple months and closed to any further new orders. So kinda thinking about jumping. Don't think I'm going to get an M5 Comp down to where I'd like it for another 5+ years.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
@burrenI know you like the F type, but what about cross shopped on a couple year old modest C8. Like think just lt1, not really got the money for a z06 like I could dream.

Was thinking getting the F more towards next year trying to snag a 2020+ for a good discount, but I'm not sure what prices will do with any economic downturn tempered against apparently production stops in a couple months and closed to any further new orders. So kinda thinking about jumping. Don't think I'm going to get an M5 Comp down to where I'd like it for another 5+ years.
The new Vette is quick and handles well, but I don’t like the exterior looks of the C8 generation. Interior is cool though. Compared to the Jag, I would imagine the Vette will be more reliable, but even the F-Type should be fine these days.

I have a C6 Z Vette and love it. It’s my second Z in the last decade. It’s scarier to drive than the GT 3 by a mile, and yet it’s more comfortable too. I always thought Vettes were a good package, even if they aren’t that sophisticated.

Sludig

The new Vette is quick and handles well, but I don’t like the exterior looks of the C8 generation. Interior is cool though. Compared to the Jag, I would imagine the Vette will be more reliable, but even the F-Type should be fine these days.

I have a C6 Z Vette and love it. It’s my second Z in the last decade. It’s scarier to drive than the GT 3 by a mile, and yet it’s more comfortable too. I always thought Vettes were a good package, even if they aren’t that sophisticated.
Basically I guess I'm bad at gauging how it'd feel. While it handles great I'm sure, I'm worried I just won't like the NA engine after being underwhelmed on the stang. Need to just find some for rent for a day kind of thing.

Need to see the trunk. Jag fit a lot in the ass, id be worried I have to split my work gear into passenger plus drunk which would get annoying daily.

Back of my mind is somewhat reliably and why I was looking for 20+, drawback is face lift and neutering the exhaust

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Basically I guess I'm bad at gauging how it'd feel. While it handles great I'm sure, I'm worried I just won't like the NA engine after being underwhelmed on the stang. Need to just find some for rent for a day kind of thing.

Need to see the trunk. Jag fit a lot in the ass, id be worried I have to split my work gear into passenger plus drunk which would get annoying daily.

Back of my mind is somewhat reliably and why I was looking for 20+, drawback is face lift and neutering the exhaust
C8 won’t have anywhere near the trunk space. I wouldn’t use it for trips.

face lift Jag is definitely not as cool. Fixing exhaust is easy though.

Sludig

Issue with fixed exhaust is just aftermarket louder, and if lucky keep the switchable, but from what I saw, still were a constant loud. I liked the soft/loud swap if I needed to be stealthy at 2 am or whatever. Though most importantly, is the crack and pop of the tune. Aftermarket exhaust won't really get that. Though maybe VAP can tune for it, I don't know. The more recent models I saw were detuning the v8 down to like 450hp? But allegedly just a flash away from being back at 550.

Sludig

While a competition is out of the possibility i think. Since I'm not tracking mainly highway baboon, any huge reason to avoid a lower trim M5, still has a Twin turbo 8 at least.

Somewhat similar than this though id still look a little lower miles. 2018 BMW M5 Sedan

Every car reviewer is also like Omg anything with a B58 engine, wondering if there's anything with that I'd be happy with. I realize my tastes are kinda retarded and I still think I'd almost like a tastefully rice'd hopefully supered 370z just from a nostalgia looks even if it doesn't have the power.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While a competition is out of the possibility i think. Since I'm not tracking mainly highway baboon, any huge reason to avoid a lower trim M5, still has a Twin turbo 8 at least.

Somewhat similar than this though id still look a little lower miles. 2018 BMW M5 Sedan

Every car reviewer is also like Omg anything with a B58 engine, wondering if there's anything with that I'd be happy with. I realize my tastes are kinda retarded and I still think I'd almost like a tastefully rice'd hopefully supered 370z just from a nostalgia looks even if it doesn't have the power.
Non-comp M5s are totally fine. They actually have a better looking gauge cluster. People get fixated on the bigger number of HP in the competition trim.

there isn’t a car with the b58 that I like, but I feel nearly all of the BMW range is ugly now. The B58 is popular because it can be modded to 550-600 hp without touching internals and its reliable. Do you want to replace the turbo, intake, exhaust, and have it tuned in order to get there? Not a cheap or quick endeavor.

C7z with either transmission is a torque monster and fast and sounds good for under $75-80k clean. Last generation Mercedes AMG GT coupe? Audi RS5?

• 1Like