What vehicle do you drive?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A Boxster is my dream car, but can you realistically find them or Caymans south of 30k unless they are ancient?
What do you consider ancient and does it need to be an S? It looks like you can find ~20 year old Boxter/Cayman with basic options for under $30k from a private seller, if you keep an eye on the market and jump on it when you see it. From what I remember, Autotrader was always high when I was looking, and they have some 15 - 20 year old Caymans for $25 to $30k.

If I found a 2014 c7 at the right price I would consider it. They still seem like they're closer to 40k right now.
They are getting close; THIS 2014 C7 (2LT, which is 1 package above base) just sold for $36k. I have no idea if that's an anomaly. So if you keep your eye on the market, you might be able to catch one under $30k. Be aware: Traditionally sports car prices bottom out in March, or at minimum stay level, till a peak around August.

Edit: HERE is a 2014 at $32k. 119k miles.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What do you consider ancient and does it need to be an S? It looks like you can find ~20 year old Boxter/Cayman with basic options for under $30k from a private seller, if you keep an eye on the market and jump on it when you see it. From what I remember, Autotrader was always high when I was looking, and they have some 15 - 20 year old Caymans for $25 to $30k.

They are getting close; THIS 2014 C7 (2LT, which is 1 package above base) just sold for $36k. I have no idea if that's an anomaly. So if you keep your eye on the market, you might be able to catch one under $30k. Be aware: Traditionally sports car prices bottom out in March, or at minimum stay level, till a peak around August.

Edit: HERE is a 2014 at $32k. 119k miles.
I’m all for this but be wary that GM will discontinue pivotal electronics parts that can’t even necessarily be replaced by a dude who does PCB repair. I’d actually do a quick search to see if modules are available for the model year you’re looking at - ABS, TCM etc.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
would you sacrifice your car and wreck another?

Following the incident, a total of 5,000 riyals were demanded by the other driver due to the damage caused. Meanwhile, Al Anzi has won hearts on social media and has been a centre of admiration for his actions.

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
Price can depend on how long you want to sit around looking, you might be able to find a good deal on a car that would normally be north of $30k. There are also a few cars that have removable targa tops, which aren't as expensive as a full convertible but function almost the same.

For example you might be able to find a 20ish year old Lotus Elise (Targa Top) for around $30k from a private seller (this one pictured was $34k from a dealer):

I'm not sure if you include corvettes in "American muscle cars" since they are smaller and much nimbler than Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers. You should be able to find a C5 convertible and early year C6 convertibles for under $30K. You should be able to find plenty of base model C6s for under $30K, which all have targa tops.

They were asking $25k for this 2006 C6 last summer:

This 2002 C5 is currently for sale for $17k:
Honestly, a ~20 year old Porsche sounds like a good fit for what you are looking for... but alas.
The Lotus Elise is a fantastic car. On my wishlist.
It's nimble as hell, and you'll want to be as well since (with the top on) it's kinda hard to get out of.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alright I need used car recommendations.

Small 2-4 seat convertible available with manual transmission. Possibly consider the right coupe/sedan/hatch. I have a good BMW mechanic we go to already so that's covered.
<$30K

Decent P/W ratio (more is better, just don't want a dog)
> 2000MY and maintainable (so no classic or weird shit with no parts)
reliable enough to take small regional road trips
GT(ish), at least comfortable
enough trunk to fit say 2 small suitcases

So far I think I've crossed off the following:
modern muscle cars (too big)
Miata ND/Fiat 124 (passenger foot well hump thing was annoying)
Focus ST (friend had one, ambivalent at this point)
Audi TT
WRX (had some, moved on)
Boxster 986 (neighbor has one)
S2000 (might have been cool if they had continued to be produced)
MR2
RX8 (had one, fuck apex seals)

Possibles:
BMW 1 or 2 series convertibles (M2s being closeish price wise is dangerous...)
BMW Z4 3.0si or M
Audi A3/4 (unfortunately doesn't look like S3 ever came with manual?)
Mini Cooper S or JCW
???

Any recommendations?

325i or 330i in E46 or E93 guise? E46 been going up in value for a few years now, E90s are probably at the bottom of the curve now. I like the E46 more mechanically, less complicated. E93 has a metal folding roof which is a lot quieter at speed. Skip 335i or M3 for GT usage imo, too much risk of high repair costs.

Mercedes SLK perhaps, I have little experience with them though. They definitely came with manual transmission in the EU market, friend had one

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A Boxster is my dream car, but can you realistically find them or Caymans south of 30k unless they are ancient?
Just look. It will have miles, but the brand is robust and reliable. Repairs and maintenance can be costly, but the shit lasts.

I would 100% go for a 6 cylinder Caymen or Boxster if she’s been well maintained and is rust free.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just look. It will have miles, but the brand is robust and reliable. Repairs and maintenance can be costly, but the shit lasts.

I would 100% go for a 6 cylinder Caymen or Boxster if she’s been well maintained and is rust free.

You almost got me then saw 4 boxsters (3 silver...) in the grocery store parking lot. lmao

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
You almost got me then saw 4 boxsters (3 silver...) in the grocery store parking lot. lmao
How many BMW's and Audi's did you see? Or rather, how many were blocking your view of the Porsches?

In the mean time, ever thought about manual swapping one of these:

2003-Ford-Thunderbird.jpg

:trollface:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How many BMW's and Audi's did you see? Or rather, how many were blocking your view of the Porsches?

In the mean time, ever thought about manual swapping one of these:

2003-Ford-Thunderbird.jpg

:trollface:

I'm not that old. Also if they had done another gen they probably would have looked awesome. Oh well.

I can't tell the difference between crossovers so I think there must have been some BMWs and Audis there. I did notice a Civic Type R or whatever and an Aston Martin. Otherwise just run of the mill 100k pickups and 20k porsches.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There’s actually a psychological term associated with seeing things because you are interested in them.

Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

Anyway, people buy them because they are great cars. Just make sure to get a fun and interesting color, not white or gray.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I’m just gonna wait for that roadster Elon is talking about. Heard him say it’ll implement spacex thrusters and need to temporarily hover on “take off”. Imagine sitting in your 200k+ Porsche getting dunked on by a 90k Tesla.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Starting in July, New Jersey EV owners must pay an annual $250 road tax fee in an effort to offset the state's loss in fuel tax revenue. The new fee will increase by $10 each of the next four years until it reaches $290 in 2028. To make matters worse, New Jersey requires buyers and leases of all new vehicles to pay four years of registration fees upfront and the new EV fee will be included in that initial payment.

Therefore, beginning in July, any new electric vehicle purchased or leased in New Jersey will cost $1,060 more than it does today.

• 3Worf

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • 1Solidarity

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
If you want a 500hp convertible your choices are either a 5yo camaro/mustang or a 10yo corvette. The corvette will hold more value long term as its got more demand as a collectible if you don't rag it out.

Siliconemelons

End your search now… after all this talk and back and forth of what you want, and need as part of what would be the perfect drop top ..

I found it, after searching deep in my soul - it came to me last night in a dream…

I meant nightmare …
1712405716604.jpeg

• 1Triggered

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Picked up free wood, not sure it was worth the pain but fuck paying a hundred something for about this much delivered. Just a little sketchy on highway bumps with the weight I sure could feel it.