What vehicle do you drive?

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
really nice looking vettes. can't believe they finally made a car that looks like a world class sports car. congrats guys
smile.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Any experience on how accurate the online price guides like NADA and Kelly blue book are for selling a used vehicle? I'm thinking of selling one of my trucks and it seems like the price they come up with to sell to a private party is incredibly high. Like 70-75% of what I paid for it and it's an 8 year old truck and I downgraded the condition.

Siliconemelons

Sold my wife's 2005 Civix with 26k miles for 7250 private party- just sat it outside on my lawn with a sign. KBB was 8ish and all trade offers I got where stupid at like 4k so I did all right.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
KBB gives a private party price in good shape and it has 72,000 miles on it in 8 years so it's in pretty good shape and nobody ever sat in the other 3 seats - a price of around $17k which seems really high considering I paid $23k for it new.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Any experience on how accurate the online price guides like NADA and Kelly blue book are for selling a used vehicle? I'm thinking of selling one of my trucks and it seems like the price they come up with to sell to a private party is incredibly high. Like 70-75% of what I paid for it and it's an 8 year old truck and I downgraded the condition.
I traded in my family hauler this past weekend, and I got 32 for it, 2 years old and 25k miles. I only paid 38 for it new!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Was pretty close to pulling trigger on new M4, but on a lark went to Audi dealer to see the S5 and drive it in person. Preferred M4. Wife however liked the little S3 so we drove that as well..... Was more fun than either of the other 2 and $20k cheaper than M4! Not sure what to do now.... Heard there is an M2 heading our way soon but not sure I want to wait. Wife is making me sell motorcycles so this is my ultimatum to her ha. Any suggestions? S3 is small as hell which is why I never considered it, but its nimble, quick and flat out fun to drive. M4 better looking exterior, feels more (substantial? not sure how to explain), and seems somehow faster but not as quick. Think I need to see BMW again before making decision. Also half looked at Lexus RC 350 F Sport but something about it keeps me away - its priced between S3 and M4. Hmmmm

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
RC-F, was at local Lexus dealer for like $65k - tons of RC-350 F Sports for much less but seems like just a "stylized" version of the base 350.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
RC-F, was at local Lexus dealer for like $65k - tons of RC-350 F Sports for much less but seems like just a "stylized" version of the base 350.
Yea it is, thats why I wondered since you said RC-350 the first time. I was like, why compare that to the M4?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, kind of a random grouping of cars - but I've pretty much decided on M4 if I'm spending $60k+. Only reason S3 jumped into picture was because it was fun and "cheap as shit." Gonna hit up BMW again tomorrow while S3 is fresh in mind.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think it depends on what you want out of a car and how long you are going to keep it. Audi has the nicest interiors IMO and the newer M series cars are a joke as far as M performance legacy goes. RC-F looks like a turd.

For pure performance/value in that sort of range, 1LT Z51 Corvette with adaptive suspension and performance exhaust. I'd drive one of those as well.

Also, why'd you skip over the S4? S3 is absolutely the most 'fun' non-R8 Audi car p/w and chassis wise but I think the S4 is a bit more sorted than the S5.

If you want a serious performance car more than a leather coach... wait for the new GT-350. 520+ HP flat plane crank V8, carbon fiber wheels on the R model... unghhh

rrr_img_93658.jpg

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, the Lexus' looks aren't for me - though I can see how they appeal to some people. S4 - seemed much bigger than S3 and if I was going to get something that large would probably just go with the M4. I should actually look at S4 as well before making decision though just to be sure. So many options for (relatively) high performing cars in the $45-$70k range its hard to narrow it down. Guess we'll just go with gut. Corvettes look nice too, might need to try one of those as well.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone working in the industry have any extra secret details on the Ram Rebel? I know it's got a lot of hate far and wide from usual RAM fans. But my fiancee is dumb about insisting she'd dump me if I ended up in a Tacoma/Tundra, for some reason is vehemently anti Silverado. Only Ford I'd want is a Raptor and that's a bit too spendy.

Ugly grill and tacky dumb seats aside. We both like the rebel, and I don't foresee actually attempting to tow anything other than a light trailor or 800lbs in the bed. I'd prefer something a bit beefier in the performance department, but if it comes out at 35k like rumoured, I'd be happy with it merely looking like a douche bag fast truck.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ya, the Lexus' looks aren't for me - though I can see how they appeal to some people. S4 - seemed much bigger than S3 and if I was going to get something that large would probably just go with the M4. I should actually look at S4 as well before making decision though just to be sure. So many options for (relatively) high performing cars in the $45-$70k range its hard to narrow it down. Guess we'll just go with gut. Corvettes look nice too, might need to try one of those as well.
What are your goals with the car? What have you owned in the past you are hoping to equal/better? Do you drive a car hard enough to notice a well engineered limited slip differential? Do you have preference in power band between NA or forced induction? Does it have to drive in snow?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya no snow, no experience with sporty cars period. Owned SUV's and trucks almost exclusively for 15 years... I just want something thats fun to drive - I know a car will never replicate the experience of the motorcycle - but something that I'm excited to get in and drive on the weekend.

Speaking of all that - was at BMW dealer this afternoon and saw an M235i next to the M4 I'm negotiating - test drove it and really enjoyed it. I know its not a true "M", but it accelerates fast as fuck and seems pretty fun. Wish they'd take the "M's" that are all over the car though - I'd actually prefer it to say 228i or whatever. I think I've actually pretty well decided I'm not going over $50k - guess after I left the dealership my frugal nature came out again and knocked sense into me. Still like the look of M4 better but the M235 might suffice. I hate doing this kind of shit... like house hunting. Cheers for advice!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ya no snow, no experience with sporty cars period. Owned SUV's and trucks almost exclusively for 15 years... I just want something thats fun to drive - I know a car will never replicate the experience of the motorcycle - but something that I'm excited to get in and drive on the weekend.

Speaking of all that - was at BMW dealer this afternoon and saw an M235i next to the M4 I'm negotiating - test drove it and really enjoyed it. I know its not a true "M", but it accelerates fast as fuck and seems pretty fun. Wish they'd take the "M's" that are all over the car though - I'd actually prefer it to say 228i or whatever. I think I've actually pretty well decided I'm not going over $50k - guess after I left the dealership my frugal nature came out again and knocked sense into me. Still like the look of M4 better but the M235 might suffice. I hate doing this kind of shit... like house hunting. Cheers for advice!
OK so - here's the thing with all of those cars - you are paying the money for luxury, not performance. Fake carbon fiber is great for looks, but doesn't make the car fun to drive. The M235i doesn't even have an LSD... unless you pay for the option lol. The M235i is not really an M car, it's an M branded 235i, you are buying the M badge you hate.

I know you are stuck on Euro automakers right now but you want seriouslyfuncars without getting above 50K, I'd test drive all of these:

Subaru BRZ (budget for a turbo and this will not stop putting a smile on your face for the price)
Subaru WRX STI (I'd actually recommend not buying one this MY... fun ass car but dated engine... but you will immediately see why the M235i is kind of a joke after driving one to the limit)
'15 Mustang GT (full disclosure, I own one and it's possibly one of the nicest driving touring cars in this price bracket that is equally at home on a track, you can't beat 435HP NA fast revving - well appointed for the price)

If you are OK with the hot hatch idea (admittedly a more niche appeal in the US still):
VW Golf R
Fiesta ST (more fun)
Focus ST (more groceries)

Don't get me wrong, the M4 is a nice car. But it's basically the performance of a 32K Mustang GT for 33K+ (considerably + to equip it comparably) more. A nicely equipped M4, I'd just swallow the pill and buy a (maybe slightly used) GTR and be done with it. So the flip side is, if I were going 'just luxury' I'd pick Audi for the nicer interiors. S3 is a good car as well, but again, you are paying for that luxury not so much added performance.

EDIT: also, keep in mind the M series cars are notoriously hard to modify/tune. On the flip side, for an extra 10K into many domestic or japanese performance cars, you can run hilarious levels of HP/ton and kill yourself on public roadways all day long, just like on a motorcycle. Science!

Siliconemelons

Buy a used GT-R?

And for trucks, wait for new Nissan Titan? It's not a tundra! Haha and will have a Cummings! Vroom! Haha lol

...after I left the dealership my frugal nature came out again and knocked sense into me...
Sooo many more options around or under 50k, if you switch to used market. If you want to test drive them, look for Carmax, I think the sales staff are hourly. You will generally pay at least 10% premium to go through a dealer, usually 15%+.

The following cars are a sample of what dealers are paying in the last 30 days(if you are willing to look, you can find close prices from private party):
Porsche 2012 Cayman coupe $41,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,000 miles
Corvette 2014 (7th gen) Base Coupe $49,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,000 miles
Corvette 2009 (6th gen) Z06 Coupe 2LZ $41,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,000 miles
Nissan 2009 GT-R Coupe Premium $53,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,385 miles
Maserati 2009 Granturismo Coupe $41,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,000 miles
BMW 2010 M6 coupe $36,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,646 miles
BMW 2011 M3 coupe $35,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,900 miles
Audi 2012 S5 V8 Coupe Prestige $37,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,700 miles
Audi 2013 TT RS AWD Coupe $47,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */,400 miles

Prices for used sports cars, generally start going up a little now and will plateau in the summer

Want to go cheaper, go down a year or up in miles, want to pay more, do the opposite.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for that list - I actually think I've just about wrapped up a deal on a used 14' 435i from BMW Dallas (I live in OKC). They're going to drive the car up to me and take my trade in back, sign the docs at my door. I've never heard of that kind of service, but I'm pretty impressed! Tough to justify $70k+ M4 price tag, though it is a brilliant car. Drove 435i at OKC BMW today new (that thing was damn near $60k new... cares are expensive as fuck these days) and loved it as well so found one used and went to work, M package, right color, etc. Should be here this week..........