Whats rustling your jimmies?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Looked them up. Man those are pretty nice. I like the design the way the window closes on it.
The only real negative out of the box is that if they're going in bedrooms light can come in if the windows are wider than the unit if that makes sense. Whereas most the traditional units with those plastic side panel things are at least somewhat opaque. I guess either way you have to rig something up as a curtain on the sides.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

There are ones on Amazon that U the other way - and with each make sure you are “balanced” correctly so you drain like you should or u get water in your house or it flips the safety and stops working.

if these things are permanent or long term, there are true mini splits that are 1 head and normal type power.

also a 2 or 3 head ain’t that hard to manage yourself - just gatta have a 220 for the outside

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Apple autocorrect. To my knowledge I have never typed "AB's" in my phone. If I have it certainly has not been more times than I've used "and." There are 10,000 other examples of it trying to autcorrect some of the most common words in the English language with an arbitrary word that some 10th grade Indian kid doesn't even know. Not to mention there's no way to just delete words from the dictionary. I have 5 shortcut / replacement rules for various words it wants to replace "and" with yet it STILL finds a way to fuck it up every time and picks even more obscure combinations of capitalization and letters. Really starting to tick me off as I get old and lazier about typing on my phone.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There are ones on Amazon that U the other way - and with each make sure you are “balanced” correctly so you drain like you should or u get water in your house or it flips the safety and stops working.

if these things are permanent or long term, there are true mini splits that are 1 head and normal type power.

also a 2 or 3 head ain’t that hard to manage yourself - just gatta have a 220 for the outside
Big side out is better, because that way the hot machinery is outside. Reverse that and like the piped ones, your generating heat in the room even if it exhausts out

Siliconemelons

Big side out is better, because that way the hot machinery is outside. Reverse that and like the piped ones, your generating heat in the room even if it exhausts out
Oh you mean for a "real" mini split with the head units and compressor separated - yes I suppose so, as the exchange is happening in the in-room head unit, rather than the exhchange and compression happening "outside"

This is the reverse "U" one on amazon I saw - I would get one if I had a window that fit it exact - my bedroom is the hottest room in the house, and I really do not want to re-duct the entire house.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 2.24.11 PM.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Oh you mean for a "real" mini split with the head units and compressor separated - yes I suppose so, as the exchange is happening in the in-room head unit, rather than the exhchange and compression happening "outside"

This is the reverse "U" one on amazon I saw - I would get one if I had a window that fit it exact - my bedroom is the hottest room in the house, and I really do not want to re-duct the entire house.

View attachment 512552
Yes I saw those too but I don't know how that works on most modern vinyl windows with the efficient gasket seals. And twice as expensive? For some reason.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
The only real negative out of the box is that if they're going in bedrooms light can come in if the windows are wider than the unit if that makes sense. Whereas most the traditional units with those plastic side panel things are at least somewhat opaque. I guess either way you have to rig something up as a curtain on the sides.
I recently replaced an old 12kbtu unit that was about the size/weight of the original volkswagen beetle with a Midea unit. Night and day, the thing is so quiet that I cannot tell if it's on sometimes. For the sides/etc, I keep mine in permanent year round as here in the middle o' the desert I need to run it in the winter sometimes. What I do is in lieu of the blocking that comes with it I use painted 2x4 and foil backed insulation. I also put use green treated (water) plywood painted white or whatever color the window metal hardware is. It's pretty invisible because you overlook the color. Then I caulk the piss out of everything. On top of that , I have heavy blackout shades that I put over the window.

but tl;dr , Midea units are the shit and the way to go.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nope. Oil heat. (Which costs me about 400 bucks a month in the winter). Just inconsiderate family that doesn't understand that shit isn't free.

No lie. My mother whom I didn't have the heart to throw in an apartment or some shit by herself, lives with me along with my two children. They have space heaters that they run sometimes on those frigid nights. Ok, cool. Caught my son and mother WITH THE FUCKIN AIR CONDITIONER AND SPACE HEATERS ON AT THE SAME TIME!

Needless to say, I flipped on both of them. Made my son remove the air conditioners from the windows, and I took the space heaters away. Told the kids the next step is their PC's (video cards) are next if my bill doesn't come in at half that next month.

Now they mad at me...

View attachment 512366
Work with a guy who looks just like you minus the hair.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Waiting for a technician to arrive-- I was told between 2pm and 5pm. It's 6pm and the technician is off the grid

• 1Rustled

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nope. Oil heat. (Which costs me about 400 bucks a month in the winter). Just inconsiderate family that doesn't understand that shit isn't free.

No lie. My mother whom I didn't have the heart to throw in an apartment or some shit by herself, lives with me along with my two children. They have space heaters that they run sometimes on those frigid nights. Ok, cool. Caught my son and mother WITH THE FUCKIN AIR CONDITIONER AND SPACE HEATERS ON AT THE SAME TIME!

Needless to say, I flipped on both of them. Made my son remove the air conditioners from the windows, and I took the space heaters away. Told the kids the next step is their PC's (video cards) are next if my bill doesn't come in at half that next month.

Now they mad at me...
People who owned my last house had ac and heaters in every room. HVAC wasn't very effective. It took me just a few minutes to track down the problem. The main duct had been punched into place, and they hit it right where the duct flap was and bent it shut. The result was the house was either colder than fuck or miserably hot, so they used that portable shit. Their electricity bill must have been shocking. Took me maybe 10 mins to fix. They had an alarm system with matching smart thermostat. Thermostat could save up to 30% from electricity bill. The catch? It would turn the HVAC unit off at like 1AM to 6AM or something, with no way to disable it. Imagine trying to sleep with 100F inside and 90% humidity.

The kicker is they lived that way for years. Any sane, reasonable person would spend one night in misery before calling HVAC tech to fix.

They also never had a remote for the garage door, so they spent years opening and closing it by hand. Took all of 5 seconds to program one.

They also didn't know how a stud finder works. The garage was full of those storage things on the wall. They put in screws all over everything 1 inch apart. It took me every second of two hours to remove them all, and that was with a fucking electric drill.

TO this day, I have no idea how people could be that stupid and lazy.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Took two pairs of jeans to the UPS store for an Amazon return. Used the kiosk. Said I had to go to the counter because the items couldn't be returned in the plastic bags because they could be damaged. Had to be packed in a container.

No proble, we always have boxes at home, so went home and put them both into a small box. Girlfriend offered to take them back to the UPS store, went to the counter, but now said they couldn't be packed together. So they sold her at least one soft plastic shipping envelope....

I started to ask why.... Why pay $4 to return a $20 item? Why no soft packaging, then they sold her soft packaging? Was it two bags, or could one go in the box? Why not just bring one or both home for another box, since she'd have to come home anyway and I pass by that UPS store three times a work day anyhow? Why does shit like this get needlessly annoying.

But I'm learning to not give myself a classic midlife heart attack, so I just thanked her for taking care of it.

Sure, it was only $4, but still,

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

• 1Rustled

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Took two pairs of jeans to the UPS store for an Amazon return. Used the kiosk. Said I had to go to the counter because the items couldn't be returned in the plastic bags because they could be damaged. Had to be packed in a container.

No proble, we always have boxes at home, so went home and put them both into a small box. Girlfriend offered to take them back to the UPS store, went to the counter, but now said they couldn't be packed together. So they sold her at least one soft plastic shipping envelope....

I started to ask why.... Why pay $4 to return a $20 item? Why no soft packaging, then they sold her soft packaging? Was it two bags, or could one go in the box? Why not just bring one or both home for another box, since she'd have to come home anyway and I pass by that UPS store three times a work day anyhow? Why does shit like this get needlessly annoying.

But I'm learning to not give myself a classic midlife heart attack, so I just thanked her for taking care of it.

Sure, it was only $4, but still,

I Dont Arrested Development GIF
All men's plight. Should see how much my wife wants to spend on gardening to grow a bushel of onions.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
People who owned my last house had ac and heaters in every room. HVAC wasn't very effective. It took me just a few minutes to track down the problem. The main duct had been punched into place, and they hit it right where the duct flap was and bent it shut. The result was the house was either colder than fuck or miserably hot, so they used that portable shit. Their electricity bill must have been shocking. Took me maybe 10 mins to fix. They had an alarm system with matching smart thermostat. Thermostat could save up to 30% from electricity bill. The catch? It would turn the HVAC unit off at like 1AM to 6AM or something, with no way to disable it. Imagine trying to sleep with 100F inside and 90% humidity.

The kicker is they lived that way for years. Any sane, reasonable person would spend one night in misery before calling HVAC tech to fix.

They also never had a remote for the garage door, so they spent years opening and closing it by hand. Took all of 5 seconds to program one.

They also didn't know how a stud finder works. The garage was full of those storage things on the wall. They put in screws all over everything 1 inch apart. It took me every second of two hours to remove them all, and that was with a fucking electric drill.

TO this day, I have no idea how people could be that stupid and lazy.

To some people, it's "easy" for them to just coast in life, completely oblivious to how much harder they end up working because of it. Kind of like that 80 year old still working in retail compared to the guy retiring in his late 40s because he made harder choices.

FwordVpWIAEgqxW.jpg:large

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1707084430859.png

Walmart email harassing me for reviews on random bullshit that I purchased in-person at the fucking store. All kinds of rustled about that.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Now they mad at me...

View attachment 512366

That's hilarious, except the bill. Now I'm wondering why in the blue hell anybody would run an AC and a space heater at the same time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Library doesn't have any copies of Dredd, Casablanca, or Doctor Zhivago, but they have like 6 copies each of The Hate U Give and Hidden Figures.

Edit: This library is in Massachusetts. Stay out of Massachusetts

Last edited: