Whats rustling your jimmies?

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Theres a movement now locally to return to cash, especially small stores, theyre refusing cards. Their charges for taking debit and credit cards with exchange rates being a touristy place are hammering these small businesses. Anyway, ive no problem with that, actually using cash suddenly makes money feel real and ive curbed my silly spending on impulse things a lot. But my gripe is I have to now remember to carry cash, or my card to go to an ATM. Why cant ATM's not allow you to tap on a contactless area, then face id or fingerprint your phone to get cash out?
Depends on the bank. My bank up the road allows me to use my phone wallet on their ATM. As a result, I never carry that card. However, they don’t allow contactless in the actual bank, so if I go inside to do a transaction, I never have my card and have to fill stuff out.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Theres a movement now locally to return to cash, especially small stores, theyre refusing cards. Their charges for taking debit and credit cards with exchange rates being a touristy place are hammering these small businesses. Anyway, ive no problem with that, actually using cash suddenly makes money feel real and ive curbed my silly spending on impulse things a lot. But my gripe is I have to now remember to carry cash, or my card to go to an ATM. Why cant ATM's not allow you to tap on a contactless area, then face id or fingerprint your phone to get cash out?
This is why I'm a proponent of "Just put the card fee on like a tax, pay with cash, save the 2-3%". See how fast some people move back to cash, and stop imposing a penalty on the merchant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
This is why I'm a proponent of "Just put the card fee on like a tax, pay with cash, save the 2-3%". See how fast some people move back to cash, and stop imposing a penalty on the merchant.

That's exactly why they forbid charging the customer the card fee. The only place I ever see them do that is in the gun world, and even then it's officially "Price shown reflects a 3% discount for cash". I'm all for it. No need to punish the vendor for my laziness. When they don't have a cash discount, that just means we're all paying the credit card fee no matter how we pay them.

Im sure I've said this here before, but credit cards that offer cash back and other bullshit like that really piss me off. The cash they're giving me is from the vendors. I'd rather they just charge the fucking vendors less so the vendor can charge me less. Fuck those stupid games.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Inspired by Hoss post in the pickle thread.

I don't think I've ever gotten one of those "pick the squares" captcha right on the first try. Every mother fucking time theres like a corner of the bus or motorcycle sticking partway into a square, and I click it, and the little electronic bitch is like "haha wrong try again".

There is some fundamental logical error built into these things. If the square has even part of a motorcycle wheel in it that counts, fuck you.

Fucker

Log Wizard
That's exactly why they forbid charging the customer the card fee. The only place I ever see them do that is in the gun world, and even then it's officially "Price shown reflects a 3% discount for cash". I'm all for it. No need to punish the vendor for my laziness. When they don't have a cash discount, that just means we're all paying the credit card fee no matter how we pay them.

Im sure I've said this here before, but credit cards that offer cash back and other bullshit like that really piss me off. The cash they're giving me is from the vendors. I'd rather they just charge the fucking vendors less so the vendor can charge me less. Fuck those stupid games.
I always figured cash back and other perks came from people who keep a large running total on their cards. Shave off a few percent of that 28% these suckers are paying and give it to me.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I don't think I've ever gotten one of those "pick the squares" captcha right on the first try. Every mother fucking time theres like a corner of the bus or motorcycle sticking partway into a square, and I click it, and the little electronic bitch is like "haha wrong try again".

There is some fundamental logical error built into these things. If the square has even part of a motorcycle wheel in it that counts, fuck you.
I have to use captcha every day. Swap to the audio version. It's 100% every time. If you occasionally get someone speaking softly with a foreign accent don't bother answering just hit the "gimme a new one". Shit made my quality of life improve drastically once I started doing this.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I always figured cash back and other perks came from people who keep a large running total on their cards. Shave off a few percent of that 28% these suckers are paying and give it to me.
That 28% goes to the shareholders of Visa, MasterCard etc.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

You sounds like a robot

I have to use captcha every day. Swap to the audio version. It's 100% every time. If you occasionally get someone speaking softly with a foreign accent don't bother answering just hit the "gimme a new one". Shit made my quality of life improve drastically once I started doing this.

Ableist asshole. What about those of us who are deaf in one ear and can't hear out the other?

• 1Worf

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Any time in the last 10 years I've dealt with any type of contractors or getting work done on my house there's always a surcharge for paying with CC. It's consistently been 3%. When I did my patio room renovation I literally went to the bank, and paid $3 for a sheet of checks (since I haven't had a check book in forever), so I could pay them with check, and almost just withdrew cash to pay them in cash. Which strangely enough they seem almost scared to take. heh

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Any time in the last 10 years I've dealt with any type of contractors or getting work done on my house there's always a surcharge for paying with CC. It's consistently been 3%. When I did my patio room renovation I literally went to the bank, and paid $3 for a sheet of checks (since I haven't had a check book in forever), so I could pay them with check, and almost just withdrew cash to pay them in cash. Which strangely enough they seem almost scared to take. heh
It's tied in with the restrictions placed on banks to monitor and flag accounts with inconsistent cash transactions for drug/trafficing violations. Ends up affecting lots of trades that operate as independent/owner/operator type businesses. Carpenters, handymen, truckers, etc fall into this. You don't even have to be criminally charged for the bank to legally close the account as "suspicious" and lock up your funds for years. It is getting harder and harder to operate with cash.

They do the same shit at airports. Civil Forfeiture is a huuuge grey area that invariable leans on the side of the seizure and can leave individuals with little or no recourse in the courts.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You sounds like a robot

Ableist asshole. What about those of us who are deaf in one ear and can't hear out the other?
Someone Beat GIF

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Costco-- yet again.

Or, most accurately, some of the douchebags that take advantage of Costco (who are almost always Asian or Muslim).

This time I was having a hot dog in the dining area (still one of the best values in cheap, on-the-go dining; $1.50 for a huge hot dog on a warmed bun with a soda).

An Asian family rolls in a rusty barbecue and 4 lawn chairs. AND COSTCO TAKES THEM BACK!!!

The barbecue was muddy and rusty and clearly used all summer.

It is amazing the level of human douche-baggery out there.

• 2Like
  • 1Potato
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Costco-- yet again.

Or, most accurately, some of the douchebags that take advantage of Costco (who are almost always Asian or Muslim).

This time I was having a hot dog in the dining area (still one of the best values in cheap, on-the-go dining; $1.50 for a huge hot dog on a warmed bun with a soda).

An Asian family rolls in a rusty barbecue and 4 lawn chairs. AND COSTCO TAKES THEM BACK!!!

The barbecue was muddy and rusty and clearly used all summer.

It is amazing the level of human douche-baggery out there.
Ya they have a 90 day return policy on almost everything. I've seen people return shit like TV's with the screen completely smashed and get their money back.

• 1Triggered

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Jeeeeeze. Clean you lightbulbs, and get matching bulbs.

I actually thought he was talking about that stupid looking light bulb on the right. Then I scrolled down a little and saw kwai chang kang hanging out and now I'm not sure which one he is referring to.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ya they have a 90 day return policy on almost everything. I've seen people return shit like TV's with the screen completely smashed and get their money back.
Yea which planetary orbit are those 90 days based on though? Pretty sure I've seen shit get returned that they had like 2 years ago.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Go to Lowe's

No more cash registers, only self check. WTF is this dystopia.

Go to commercial exit and guy is there. Says "your starting total is $28.96". I'm like wait, did you just say starting total? What does that mean?

He explains that he's been trained to say this because soon basically all transactions will have optional donations or additional purchases you can make on the payment pad.

What the fuck even the hardware store has forced microtransactions now.
robert duvall asterix GIF

• 1Like