What's your biggest loss in a game? (Data wipe, save corruption, impossible boss, etc)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was working my way through Gauntlet or Gauntlet 2 and i was near the final level and final whatever and getting to see the end of the game i had been playing for weeks and i even had a notebook with codes and stats. the game just shits itself and wouldnt allow me to play it any further, it was some kind of glitch or a feature. but i was so mad for weeks after that.
gfs_36949_2_9.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Sometime in like middle school, I was making my way through Brave Fencer Musashi. I got up to a certain point just fine, but on one particular day a friend had recently bought a power replay for the psx and wanted to try it. He came over, and wanted to see if there was any cheats for the game. I'm not entirely sure what he did, but I asked him to make sure he used a different save file, or created a different one. I guess he activated godmode, or something. All I remember was the town was on fire, no escape, no npcs.. I was just stuck. It's an image of horror that is kinda ingrained into my brain. First instance of progress just destroyed.

I also had another friend get extremely salty because a mutual friend let me borrow the N64 while he was away on vacation, and I put in a fuck ton of Harvest Moon 64 hours, getting a lot done.. He ninja erased my file, and we got into a fist fight every time we saw each other in the neighborhood for a like a month straight.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I’m like 7. Spent a weekend playing ninja gaiden on NeS with my brother. We stayed up all night. If we slept we would pause the game. Nintendo was burning up.

Our mom made us go to church. We had just got to the final level for the first time. Paused and planned to come
Back to it.

Come home and my dad had shut the game off so he could watch nfl pregame

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Neverwinter Nights. The first one. I got so far, near the end and something happened where the save got corrupted. The problem is, ALL of them were corrupted. None of them would load. Apparently this was a common problem at the time.

Another loss, this will seem really strange, but I adored the game Starflight for the PC from 1986. If you've never played it, THEN PLAY IT. Anyway, you start off with your home planet in a solar system in 125x100 on the galaxy grid. The way I used to play, was to get 16 cargo pods and go to a planet at 117x114, which had an abundance of Mercury and Promethium and 56% mineral density (which was high). These minerals sold for a lot in the game. I would pack up my 16 pods full which took like 6 hours to do and then be funded for a long time. This game however, never supported any graphics cards except CGA and EGA explicitly. Anything higher than EGA would not work. There was a patch later that came out that fixed this, but this patch also broke that planet at 117x114 - its no longer there.

That planet is forever wiped away, as no one I know has the *original* Starflight that was pre-patch.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had a day off school and decided to spend it getting all the ultimate weapons in FFX. I think I had probably 14 hours put into that and had just finished up doing the 200 lighting strike dodges when the power in our house blipped and reset my ps2. I did not save once throughout the day.

When I was doing the lightning strikes my wife at the time came home with groceries and walked in front of the TV and made me mess up when I was real close to beating it. I made her sit in the bedroom with the door shut as a punishment until I beat it not too long after

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I got my fully geared, max-level PvP Warlock hacked in WoW. They reset the account password but all my stuff (including bazillions in enchant components+mining gear) was gone and they refused to replace any of it since "the value of the stuff had already entered the WoW economy". I just couldn't bear to begin again so I logged off never to return to that character. Tried playing later as a Panda Warrior but the sting still...stung.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m like 7. Spent a weekend playing ninja gaiden on NeS with my brother. We stayed up all night. If we slept we would pause the game. Nintendo was burning up.

Our mom made us go to church. We had just got to the final level for the first time. Paused and planned to come
Back to it.

Come home and my dad had shut the game off so he could watch nfl pregame

is my ringtone, i choose songs i hate

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i was working my way through Gauntlet or Gauntlet 2 and i was near the final level and final whatever and getting to see the end of the game i had been playing for weeks and i even had a notebook with codes and stats. the game just shits itself and wouldnt allow me to play it any further, it was some kind of glitch or a feature. but i was so mad for weeks after that.
gfs_36949_2_9.jpg

similar to this my very first playthrough of the first final fantasy for nintendo and i'm like 90% into the game (i'm like 8 years old so it took me weeks to get this far) and my disc just stops working, probably my first true rage experience

• 1Like

Szlia

The Turbo Duo was one of the first CD Rom based console and it had an internal memory for the save files of CD games. It also played ROM based games (on a physical format called HuCards), one of which was Bomberman '94. As it was a 5 players game, I brought it to a gaming party at my PnP RPG club. We had some good fun playing Bomberman and I also showed them some CD games.... but when left alone with the console some guy (hi Jérôme!) managed to go to the file management system of the console and format it.... and it was an american console with the UI in english! That was a case of stupidity and not one of malice, but he got slapped all the same as he nixed dozens of save files amounting to hundreds of hours in many games...

Siliconemelons

If we are doing EQ, it would be a SK epic multi quest fail / scam - I don't know... but I never completed it on live...sad...so sad

• 1Rustled

Chris

Potato del Grande
Beat Emerald Weapon and accidentally deleted my save before I got to use the Master Materia or fight Ruby Weapon.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Temple of Apshai circa 1982 3.25" single sided floppy. Great game but..
The copy I literally stole out of a headshop (wtf were they doing selling video games?1) was fucked up in some way so that the really hard to get to dungeon Lvl 4 had some simple error where it'd load up lvl 3 again. Weak I know but old skool.
I played Fallout New Vegas and got utterly fucked by a dum dee doo quicksave combo and then being forced to choose ( I swear it wasn't obvious! /stoned) to slaughter all the Brotherhood of Steel folks as End Game Win. I swear I went into it thinking I was going to choose them to win ffs. /shame Quit immediately. Enjoyed Robot land sooo much!

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sim city 2000 - my big ass city was saved on a floppy because reasons and of course, one day it stopped wokring. I screeeeeee'd

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Not a single game, but when I was in middle school, I built my first gaming PC, which was a big upgrade from my old PC - a 5+ year old machine that could only run games at min settings. I used my old PC's hard drive as the Windows install drive for the new one.

That's a mistake you only ever make once in your life.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I never made it out of the starting area in Fallout New Vegas because the game kept eating my saves.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Stayed up most of the night duping gold in lineage 2. Duped until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

By the time I and two accomplices finished we had $200k worth of in game currency based on the current resale value.

Stashed my share on mule accounts, some got banned, some didn't.

When I eventually sold the remainder I got about $3000

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
PS4 somehow shat the bed and my precious savegames of Gran Turismo Sport, Uncharted 4, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and a few minor games were gone.
I learned from my mistake and am now backing up to PS+

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Final Fantasy 7 - Played this on release, and every time I defeated Diamond Weapon, the game would freeze on the Midgar Cannon cutscene. I must have beaten Diamond Weapon like six times, hoping it'd resolve itself. This is about when I discovered the wonder of store refunds, and was able to exchange it for another copy (which worked). So this probably doesn't even count towards this list, but it's a close call.
I was close to calling you out for confusing Weapons then I googled it and it was *I* whose memory of this was foggy... holy crap I would've bet $100 on the idea that your party never fought Diamond, only Ruby, Emerald and Ultima (the purple dragon-looking one). I thought Sapphire was owned in the sea by the Junon cannon and thought Diamond got a big hole blasted through it via the Midgard Cannon and that you never fought either of them (which is true for Sapphire, but yup... you're right... you DO fight Diamond).

God, I never NEVER thought I'd get a deet wrong about FF7. Dementia INC!!!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users