What's your biggest loss in a game? (Data wipe, save corruption, impossible boss, etc)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've had a few:

Mega Man 3 (NES) - Got very far in this over what seemed like weeks. Problem is I was co-playing it at a friend's house on his copy, and when we'd get a password we'd save it. Every stage could take an entire afternoon because we weren't very good. Finally we had most of the Doc Robots down and it was almost time for Wily Castle, which I was incredibly stoked for. Well, long story short, he lost the piece of paper with our passwords on it, think his mom threw it away not knowing what it was. So that was that for our MM3 game. We never resumed our playthrough, but I think he later finished the game on his own and I emulated it about 8 years later to finally see the rest.

Final Fantasy 7 - Played this on release, and every time I defeated Diamond Weapon, the game would freeze on the Midgar Cannon cutscene. I must have beaten Diamond Weapon like six times, hoping it'd resolve itself. This is about when I discovered the wonder of store refunds, and was able to exchange it for another copy (which worked). So this probably doesn't even count towards this list, but it's a close call.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Back in 1998 I was playing this and ran into the brick wall that is Riovanes Castle, where you fight a trio of very nasty bosses in a row. The game has you fight a relatively normal battle before this (which locks you into the area) then asks if you want to save. I said yeah because up to that point I had no reason to suspect anything. My characters were underpowered because I avoided as many random fights as I could, something I did a lot of in 90's RPGs. I actually made it past the first boss due to heavy gimp-tactics with autopotion, only to be squashed by the second with no way to leave to the overworld and shop or re-strategize. That was it for the playthrough, and I lost probably around 30 hours. Even if you get past that fight there's another super-hard fight after it before you can leave. The rest of the game (it's about halfway) never reaches that difficulty again. On my second run I made sure I was completely prepared before I went to that place again. But not TOO prepared (see below).

Xenogears - There's a one-on-one mech fight with Vierge about 8 hours into the game, in a dungeon that you can't leave once you reach the save point / boss. Levels don't help, only parts for your mech. If you have the latest parts for your mech you can roll the fight. The latest parts happen to be sold by a robot right next to the save point, which seems to be the designers' way of telling you "you must have the latest equipment to proceed". Problem is, they also give you the option to fight the robot merchant (why?) which I don't think happens anywhere else in the game. So when I first talked to it and saw a "fight!" option I chose that, defeated the robot, and saved. Then I fought Vierge with outdated equipment and it was straight-up impossible. Friends told me at the time that you get upgrades from the robot right before the fight...the robot I killed off. Had to start the game over again.

Final Fantasy Legend 1 - Yet another save-trap, though this save-trap was my own doing. Throughout my FFL1 playthrough on emulator (circa 1999, so I still hadn't learned my lesson) I was using a single save state to save rather than the ingame save system. At the very least I made a backup save about halfway through the game. I was racing a friend to see who could beat the game first, so I didn't level up adequately for the final dungeon. That and, ya know, I ran from everything in 90's RPGs. The enemies seriously ramp up in power around the final dungeon, and I found myself in the middle of the dungeon having trouble winning any fights. That's when I discovered that the random attacks were all predetermined (i.e. if you're going to get attacked in five steps and lose half your party to one round of preemptive attacks, you'll still get attacked in five steps and have the battle repeat itself if you reload the save). This meant I was trapped in a dungeon I couldn't leave and couldn't avoid the random fights or their outcomes. Ended up reloading the save from around halfway through and replaying the rest, this time stopping to prepare for the final dungeon. I lost the race.

Final Fantasy Tactics again - Playing the PSP version of this in 2012 or so, I made sure to be powered-up and prepared for everything the game threw at me. I leveled the characters way up, maxed out skill trees, always had the best equipment. Then I ran into the chocobo war in Chapter 4. It's a fight near the end of the game where you have to take on a flock of chocobos in a swamp. Unlike almost every other main story fight in the game, they level up with you due to being classified as monsters. High level chocobos are complete murder-machines in FFT, and bombard your party with huge-damage range attacks before your party even gets to move most of the time. Because of this, my powered-up, high-level party would get DESTROYED by this fight every time I attempted it. I might take out one or two of the eight chocobos, but no amount of strategy-altering helped when they always got the first turn due to their speed. This one is interesting because I wasn't trapped by a bad save system; the game just punished me for being overpowered. Had to start the entire game over, again, and this time I probably lost around 60 hours. This is my biggest game loss, I think. I've heard of similar things happening to people in FF8 due to the final boss leveling up with you, but I always had low levels when I played that game (finally, my 90's strategy of running from everything in RPGs paid off).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Everquest: I was working on my Rivervale faction(for some reason - I don't remember) and was handing in Runnyeye beads to the sheriff. I accidentally handed him my Holgresh Elder Beads(identical icon as the runnyeye beads) and he ate them. I figured no big deal, I'll just camp another set that week. They patched the next day and removed them from the drop tables, instantly making them insanely expensive to buy and impossible to camp.

Last edited:
  • 7Worf
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 13 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I lost an entire rimworld that I'd been "playing" for months to a bad patch.

But that doesn't really count. Games like that are fishbowls. I just started another one five minutes later.

spronk

FPS noob
mario kart 8 on wii u - i had like 70% of the single player stuff done and 1500 (?) stars or whatever in multiplayer and my wii u got corrupt and it couldn't recover. not even the multiplayer, that got reset too. after that i said fuck nintendo and don't start a game on their platform unless i am sure i will finish.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
High level chocobos are complete murder-machines in FFT, and bombard your party with huge-damage range attacks before your party even gets to move most of the time.
Truth!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My World of Warcraft OG Nax scourge invasion Haunted Memento disappeared from my inventory.

Maybe they nerfed it with a "this item will only last for ... " timer.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Everquest: I was working on my Rivervale faction(for some reason - I don't remember) and was handing in Runnyeye beads to the sheriff. I accidentally handed him my Holgresh Elder Beads(identical icon as the runnyeye beads) and he ate them. I figured no big deal, I'll just camp another set that week. They patched the next day and removed them from the drop tables, instantly making them insanely expensive to buy and impossible to camp.

They wouldn't replace that? sounds like they should when the two items share the same icon lol, thats whack though

I can't think of anything other than Final Fantasy 3 on the DS.
My one and only experience of "saving, do not turn off your console" actually corrupts your save data. My DS died on a car trip without me realizing it right when i went to save while being 90% through the game

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I can't think of anything other than Final Fantasy 3 on the DS.
My one and only experience of "saving, do not turn off your console" actually corrupts your save data. My DS died on a car trip without me realizing it right when i went to save while being 90% through the game

That's just incredibly bad luck. Something vaguely similar happened to me in the timing department when I played 7th Saga on one of my old desktop computers in the mid-2000's. I got up to the first boss (who throws lightning at the screen) and right after he used the attack, my monitor shorted out and had to be replaced. Just about the weirdest timing imaginable.

• 1Solidarity

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The Dragon Warrior series was pretty notorious for dropping saves, but DW4 was the worst. My brother and I teamed up on that game and had to go through the first 4 chapters a few times before we were able to stay in the 5th and finish it. I still remember the "lost save" sound in my head when I think of it.

Breath of Fire 4. I really hated the game as it was because it deviated so far from the consistent over-arching storyline across the first two and slightly on the 3rd. However, I still begrudgingly played it and got stupid far into this one area without ever coming across a save point. I then found a boss, but got the shit kicked out of me and lost like 4 hours of play time.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Some buddies were playing contra in college on a regular NES.

Getting up off the floor, I kicked it

Instantly reset and bugged out

I found it hilarious, they got upset. We smoked some weed and nobody cared

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Dragon Warrior series was pretty notorious for dropping saves, but DW4 was the worst. My brother and I teamed up on that game and had to go through the first 4 chapters a few times before we were able to stay in the 5th and finish it. I still remember the "lost save" sound in my head when I think of it.

Breath of Fire 4. I really hated the game as it was because it deviated so far from the consistent over-arching storyline across the first two and slightly on the 3rd. However, I still begrudgingly played it and got stupid far into this one area without ever coming across a save point. I then found a boss, but got the shit kicked out of me and lost like 4 hours of play time.

I actually liked BoF 3 alright. I never made it past maybe.. 50% in BoF4. I wish they would revisit the series after all this time (that isnt a mobile game).

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
My World of Warcraft OG Nax scourge invasion Haunted Memento disappeared from my inventory.

Maybe they nerfed it with a "this item will only last for ... " timer.
Naw they still last forever, I'm glad I saved up a bunch of them during the event, they sell for ridiculous amounts

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
whats the EQ thing called where you hand the guy stuff while another guy hands him stuff, and the person that does the final click gets the item?

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I spent half of my Freshman year of High School exploring FFVII and min/max'ing the fuck out of all the easter eggs. I even bought one of those magazines that tells you all the sekrets by doing some chores around the house.

I was probably around 99 hours of play time when I got to the Sephiroth fight. I had to go eat dinner or some menial task like that right before the fight, so I saved the game. When I came back the memory card file was corrupt and I was so disappointed that I didn't play my PS1 for months after that.

I finally bought the game on my PS4 a few months ago and might bring myself to try and give it another whack.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Star ocean 3(I think) was on final post end boss dungeon wanted to check out the story with the female character muscle memory overwrote the main save and I lost well over a 100 hours. From then on I made two saves every time.

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
First one was the water temple in Ocarina if Time. I took a wrong turn or missed a key, and lowered the water level. Couldnt go forward or back. Had to make a new start on that one.

Second was also from Zelda. I was at the end of Wind Waker and was just finishing all the side quests before I went to the final dungeon. My brother sold his gamecube with all the games without telling me. Only recently made a concentrated effort to beat it. Definitely worth it.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I was a big completionist in high school and would just burn days away making sure I had every side quest done and was max level before beating the game. Usually once I beat the game I really wasn’t interested in playing again except for a select few.

I had a day off school and decided to spend it getting all the ultimate weapons in FFX. I think I had probably 14 hours put into that and had just finished up doing the 200 lighting strike dodges when the power in our house blipped and reset my ps2. I did not save once throughout the day.

I still to this day have not played that game ever again.

• 1Worf

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Back in the early nineties I was working my way through Final Fantasy I on the NES. I had just got the second orb lit up. I came home from school to find my older adult brother who didn't even live with us playing it. I froze in my tracks and stared for a second at him with my mouth open. I finally was able to ask him if he had used the inn yet (since that was how you saved your game). He said yeah. I yelled at him that he erased my game, there is only one save slot! He shrugged and said sorry, you can erase my game and start over. I think I complained to our mom about it, but obviously nothing would be done.

I tried starting over, but at that point I had put in like 40 hours into it and didn't have the guide, and just couldn't force myself to grind my way back to where I was.

Damn you, Ricky!

• 1Like