Wheel of Time series

Sterling

El Presidente
Knife of Dreams had a decent amount of filler that should be condensed like the previous 3 or so books, but it also had a bunch of Mat chapters and they were mostly excellent.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This is one of the few series I started and didn't finish. I think I only made it to like book 4 or 5 before I stopped mid book and just never went book. I think I've only not finished like 3 books in my life, and I read A LOT.

I can't even recall exactly what caused me to stop, I think it was a sense of "what the fuck is even happening." I think the book had a lot of different characters than the previous, and it just didn't seem necessary

Sterling

El Presidente
If you quit during 4 or 5, you probably wouldn't want to try the rest. Although with your reasoning it seems like series like Malazan and some others would be a problem too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This is one of the few series I started and didn't finish. I think I only made it to like book 4 or 5 before I stopped mid book and just never went book. I think I've only not finished like 3 books in my life, and I read A LOT.

I can't even recall exactly what caused me to stop, I think it was a sense of "what the fuck is even happening." I think the book had a lot of different characters than the previous, and it just didn't seem necessary

Did you find the first 2-3 books good, though? Just curious, trying to find where I should slot the first book in my laundry list of books.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Did you find the first 2-3 books good, though? Just curious, trying to find where I should slot the first book in my laundry list of books.

I honestly can't remember, it has been quite some time. Every once in a while I think about going back and trying again, I've just never got around to it. My book/audible queue is actually pretty large right now, which is abnormal. Lots of Will Wight, Jeff Wheeler, Alistair Reynolds, Peter Hamilton, etc

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Gotcha. I haven't really read much "fantasy" of this kind other than the expected: LoTR, Chronicles of Narnia etc back in the past (the pretty obvious stuff) I'm curious how I'm going to "like" it, or to what level after reading a lot of sci-fi & thrillers. Sitting on the Stormlight books from Sanderson. Looks like a pretty big investment, but apparently about as good as it gets in fantasy. Trying to burn through some shorter books before that.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
it was a sense of "what the fuck is even happening." I think the book had a lot of different characters than the previous, and it just didn't seem necessary

This was right about the time when Jordan married his editor and any semblance of quality control left the building.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I originally stopped at Winters Heart way back when I was still “reading” books. I decided to give the series a try again by listening to the audiobooks. It made a huge difference in how I enjoyed the Wheel of Time series. I haven’t read a book in years. I listen to them all now via Audible.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Not true.

Hmm. Upon actually looking it up, you're right. They were married long before Jordan wrote The Eye of the World. She did stop being so active as an editor when Jordan got sick, but that was 2005.

I stand by what I said about quality control, though. The series became dramatically fluffier around book +/- 5.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
It was originally supposed to be a triology if I remember right. Jordon got full of himself and started expanding it. I have no doubt that if he'd lived, he'd still be cranking out books.

I found the first 6 fairly good, went down hill from there. Sanderson made a good effort with what he was given though.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It was originally supposed to be a triology if I remember right. Jordon got full of himself and started expanding it. I have no doubt that if he'd lived, he'd still be cranking out books.

I found the first 6 fairly good, went down hill from there. Sanderson made a good effort with what he was given though.

I’m glad it was expanded past a trilogy for sure, but I’d say the series could have pretty easily been condensed to ~9 books without losing any plot lines that readers actually gave a shit about

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
When I pick up Eye of the World in '99, I honestly thought Path of Daggers was the last book.

• 1Solidarity

Arative

Vyemm Raider
It's either going to be a shit adaptation like seeker of Truth or a great one like game of thrones. If they stick to the source material and try to be faithful I think it will be good. Hopefully Amazon breaks out the brinks truck and spends big.

Sterling

El Presidente
The thing is in many ways this series is much more "high fantasy" than Game of Thrones. I mean GoT has dragons, which is obviously a thing, but WoT has a lot of shit. Trollocs, Fades, Draghkar and lots of other stuff. I just can't imagine it will have enough of a budget to do all that stuff at GoT quality levels.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I'd trust it with Netflix, but Amazon I feel will give us Hercules The Legendary Journeys style.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I'd trust it with Netflix, but Amazon I feel will give us Hercules The Legendary Journeys style.
Yeah I think there's a really high probability that it ends up being more Sword of Truth/Shannara than Game of Thrones.

• 2Solidarity

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
A few things i think they have to do to pull this off.

Get with Sanderson, and spend a lot of time looking for areas to trim off tons of fat. Jordan was notorious for adding character tics and what everyone was wearing, seeing as this will be covered in the visual format, no time is lost here.

Cut a Majority of Perrin. Ignore Faile. Perrins story needs to be Defense of Two Rivers, Wolf Powers, White Cloaks, then Final Battle. Make his character progression a bit cheesy, wanting to be strong enough on his own, but learn how to be a part of a pack. Two parallels Blacksmith to Leader of men in battle. Lone wolf to Leader of the pack etc.
Cut out Masema, entirely. Cut out the small scale battles and the weevils.
Axe Aviendah's spirit quests. Make her a simple but important link to Rand and the Aiel.
Cut the political intrigue with Elayne.
Find a way to speed up all of the Tower bullshit with Egwene.
Clean up Matt's Seanchan alliance.
Cut Min. Make her predicitons come from Eladia or something and have that be her catalyst to turn etc.
Should be right around 10 Seasons at 12 1hr. Eps each. Plenty of all aspects that makes the books good.

After cuts are made and you have a definitive season / episode count, write up ironclad casting contracts. If done will yes these people will be come famous a la GoT, but you can't let the salaries blossom into the millions per season over however many actors. Instead offer them incentives on the back end. Also leverage their age most of the characters are late teens into the fact that the work after this will be worth a lot more etc.