Wheel of Time series

Maul

Dental Dammer
Really enjoyed the book, last battle was gripping and alot of loose ends tied up nicely given the limited space. Fain was really poorly done though.

I just find it funny that of the best four books in the series, three weren't even written by the original author. At least Sanderson is half way done with the next Stormlight Archive book, need me some shard plate action.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No matter how you felt at the end of the series, when you got to here

2oX0jyn.jpg

You were pretty pumped.

2oX0jyn.jpg

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
I wish Sanderson had been able to provide exact numbers of troops involved. I know we can probably make good guesses, but relying on "hundreds of thousands" and "outnumbered 10 to 1" doesn't give it as much impact as specifics.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I was reading random chapters from the book just now and i noticed something. The voice Rand hears at the end of chapter 23 isn't the dark one.

95% certain its the creators voice, which means it was the creator who saved rand in EoTW.

Morph_hammer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished the book. Overall I liked it, the pace of Sanderson is so much better than Jordan's describe-it-all.

Wish it'd have a longer epilogue though. I guess we will never know what happens afterwards, because spin-offs and sequals are out of the question..

mysterion_sl

shitlord
...the pace of Sanderson is so much better than Jordan's describe-it-all. Wish it'd have a longer epilogue though. I guess we will never know what happens afterwards, because spin-offs and sequals are out of the question..
While probably way better than Jordan could have done, I was kinda disappointed. Normally I really like descriptive battle scenes with lots of surprises (read Stackpoles DragonCrown War Trilogy!!!) but Sandersons narrative was kinda bland most of the time, with admittedly a few awesome scenes.
and then he wraps it up in 4 pages or so? WTF!!?! Tolkien dedicated a whole book (if you count the trilogy as 6 books) to the events after the ring was destroyed. ONE SIMPLY DOES NOT END THE STORY IN MORDOR! I really hated that I had to read about 14.000 pages to have not a single major storyline wrapped up neatly ... did they live happily ever after?

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While probably way better than Jordan could have done, I was kinda disappointed. Normally I really like descriptive battle scenes with lots of surprises (read Stackpoles DragonCrown War Trilogy!!!) but Sandersons narrative was kinda bland most of the time, with admittedly a few awesome scenes.
and then he wraps it up in 4 pages or so? WTF!!?! Tolkien dedicated a whole book (if you count the trilogy as 6 books) to the events after the ring was destroyed. ONE SIMPLY DOES NOT END THE STORY IN MORDOR! I really hated that I had to read about 14.000 pages to have not a single major storyline wrapped up neatly ... did they live happily ever after?
I agree with you and Morph_Hammer. I thought he handled the book and the Last Battle very well, untill the shockingly short, bland and somewhat weird epilogue. I probably missed something about Rand living on in Moridins body, but that was not really the bad part.

One thing that irked me was the fact that after 12k pages of making Rand "care again" about himself and the ones around him, he suddenly turns into a chuckling, pipesmoking tourist, sneaking out to see the sights of the world, leaving his friends and father to mourn at his pire. The focus in the epilogue on his 3 "girlfriends" felt off too, since I always thought these to be poorly fleshed out, and definately less important then most of the other interactions between key characters.

I also would have liked to see a longer epilogue where things wind down, and key characters get to see some fruit of their labors. A few scenes in the Two Rivers, people licking their (emotional) wounds but also a glimpse of things starting to rebuild. I could have lived with the fact that Rand would not even be part of that. Instead Rand is kept alive and sneaks off?

Ok, I am probably missing something huge here with the Moridin-thing, anyone care to enlighten me?
smile.png
If it's just the old "he had to die according to prophecy but lives on in another body, neener, neener" adagio then I get it, but I feel that I am missing a deeper meaning here.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ok, I am probably missing something huge here with the Moridin-thing, anyone care to enlighten me?
smile.png
If it's just the old "he had to die according to prophecy but lives on in another body, neener, neener" adagio then I get it, but I feel that I am missing a deeper meaning here.
Basically cos his body was so screwed up, for him to live a new life (post-Dragon Reborn) I suppose he needed a functioning body. Tbh, I reckon it was the Creator (the aiel woman at the end) who did the body swap.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Maybe Jordan wrote in the body swap because he was dying of cancer at the time and wished he could do the same.

wish there was a fan abridged version for the books jordan wrote, maybe reducing it down to 6-8 books. ...a community polled/consensus of what to cut out would be ideal.

roddo_sl

shitlord
All I know is I was a sophomore in high school, way the fuck back in 1990 when I started reading this, and after waiting 23 years I was like wtf, nothing was ended properly except egwene and gawyn dying. Every other storyline was flapping in the wind.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
The end kind of reminds me how Memory, Sorrow and Thorn ended.

Actually, according to the Silmarillion, the desctruction of the ring was like, 6% of the whole story. with like 60% of it before and 34% of it AFTER.

You're actually forgetting that Tolkien's way of writing was quite a bit different. Today's authors write stories. Tolkien made up the stories to have a background for the elvish languages he also made up. The events leading to the destruction of the One Ring of Power were just a tiny fraction of the interesting part of the whole world.

I'm still kinda sad that Tom was nowhere in any movies. Not even the extended version has him.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
All I know is I was a sophomore in high school, way the fuck back in 1990 when I started reading this, and after waiting 23 years I was like wtf, nothing was ended properly except egwene and gawyn dying. Every other storyline was flapping in the wind.
I hear you. I was 21 when Eye of the World came out. The first few books were great fun.

I re-read the first 10 and then the last 4 over the last few weeks. I love the world and background still, but really Jordan just went crazy with the side stories and bit part characters. I enjoyed the story a lot more when I was younger, and it really has not aged well for me, especially the middle books.

At the end I felt there were way too many loose ends and parts that were left dangling. What the fuck was the point of the Galad brother storyline. It was like a footnote with no real bearing, yet the guy had dozens of chapters devoted to him. I felt the Seanchan stuff could have been handled much better, as well. It makes no sense for Cadsuane to be the Amyrlin at the end to me. Really, I have no idea what the heck her character was there except to add yet another woman in charge character to a story that has no shortage of them. I really hated the way they wrapped up the Padan Fain storyline, too.

I did like the way the story ended. I just wish Jordan had done this story in four novels concentrating on the three main characters, then afterwards he could have written spin off novels with other stories and characters in the same setting. The Black Tower could have had it's own storyline, instead of the mish mash that was presented in abbreviated form.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I hear you. I was 21 when Eye of the World came out. The first few books were great fun.

I re-read the first 10 and then the last 4 over the last few weeks. I love the world and background still, but really Jordan just went crazy with the side stories and bit part characters. I enjoyed the story a lot more when I was younger, and it really has not aged well for me, especially the middle books.

At the end I felt there were way too many loose ends and parts that were left dangling. What the fuck was the point of the Galad brother storyline. It was like a footnote with no real bearing, yet the guy had dozens of chapters devoted to him. I felt the Seanchan stuff could have been handled much better, as well. It makes no sense for Cadsuane to be the Amyrlin at the end to me. Really, I have no idea what the heck her character was there except to add yet another woman in charge character to a story that has no shortage of them. I really hated the way they wrapped up the Padan Fain storyline, too.

I did like the way the story ended. I just wish Jordan had done this story in four novels concentrating on the three main characters, then afterwards he could have written spin off novels with other stories and characters in the same setting. The Black Tower could have had it's own storyline, instead of the mish mash that was presented in abbreviated form.
Seeing how the series ended, I kinda sat there thinking wtf why was there so much focus throughout the series on characters who barely mattered at the end. Like massive portions of the books are dedicated to things that didn't end up mattering or to characters who played the tiniest of roles.

Paden Fain was the worst offender, a character introduced in the first book, featured heavily in every book, with multiple books featuring him as a primary antagonist.. and then he goes out like he did. It felt like the only reason they even wrote him in at the end was cause not doing so woulda been a serious violation of the rules of writing, and honestly I am not sure showing up at the end and shooting a couple random stage hands and then dying with no impact on the larger story avoids that violation.

I was deeply disappointed with how this series ended. I personally blame Jordan because I think he prolly wrote this ending in a huge rush and then they tied Sanderson hands and made him stick to a script that really made very little sense.

In the end I will think about this series the same way I think about Dune. It ended with Chapterhouse dune and then some random fucks showed up and wrote a bunch of bs to try to end it.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Just started reading the series, on book 1 still. So far kinda boring. However I now know where like 1/3rd of the people I knew in EQ and WoW got their names.