Wheel of Time series

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just started reading the series, on book 1 still. So far kinda boring. However I now know where like 1/3rd of the people I knew in EQ and WoW got their names.
I had a lot of trouble getting into it myself when I first started Book 1. I actually stopped for a time before going back to try again, but once you get past the pretty slow paced opening of the first book it gets good.

Ashin

Imo it definitely picks up when they're on the run after fleeing Baerlon. Rand and Mat's chapters after that are quite awesome

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I started this series 15 years ago and stopped reading when Jordan died. By that point most of the characters just annoyed the shit out of me with all the braid tugging and lamenting how many women they had killed and all. Also, I started reading Game of Thrones around that time and it makes this series look completely Twilight-ish. Given that, are the last 3 books (the ones ghostwritten by Sanderson) worth reading or should I just go find summaries on how it all comes together?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I thought Sanderson did a decent job. Certainly made me want to read sanderson's other works. Would be worth the read just to finish out the series

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
It's worth reading, and Nynaeve stops pulling on her braid once she gains self-confidence. That, and she cuts her hair. Nynaeve turns out to be a decent character at the end.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
her hair was not cut

and i agree gawyn turned into worse than the girls ever were...
it was BURNED OFF during her testing at the white tower- they healed the burns afterwards
It's worth reading, and Nynaeve stops pulling on her braid once she gains self-confidence. That, and she cuts her hair. Nynaeve turns out to be a decent character at the end.

SAIDIN_sl

shitlord
Well despite my FOH name, I didn't buy the last book until about 3 days ago. The last book of the series by far the best. It was a battle scene for 90% of it.

I didn't expect Demandred to come out of nowhere with an entire hidden nation
Lan is a bad ass sir. Have a good day.
Gawyn and Galad ended up being entirely worthless. WTF ? When they came to light early in the series I was expecting them to have a purpose in the Last Battle. Nope.
Egwene martyrs herself. I didn't expect it to turn Harry Potter like with her "Let me be a hero, Rand"
Perrin ends the fucking book going on a search for Faile again. That shit was annoying in the past. Thanks for making him a whiney bitch again.

I honestly end this series wishing Sanderson was the one who wrote it from beginning to end. Maybe there wouldn't be as much rampant feminism or braid tugging. I had such a difficult time remembering all of the damn names too. Why introduce 1,000 different characters into a book ? That's all fine and dandy but I started skipping all of the girl POV chapters from book 6-11 and reading the sparknotes review of the chapter instead.

Asherah

I think Sanderson did an excellent job on WoT. I might be slightly biased since I love his other books though. As for WoT in general I think it has too much filler. The core is great, but it feels like Jordan ran into trouble with the main plot after a few books and started padding the books to keep his publishers/fans happy. I think the series would have been better if compressed to maybe 6-7 books.

[...]I honestly end this series wishing Sanderson was the one who wrote it from beginning to end.
voteban

sanderson's books might have been refreshing given the dull latter wot books but in no way is his other books better. i really think he appeals to the under-30 crowd (adhd crowd). imo wot is best read in and around puberty as it reads from a more innocent/naive/gentle generation, particularly its relationships.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I liked the Jordan parts; I started reading WOT after LOTR in middle school I think, and found them to be similar. Especially for their penchants for describing shit down to the very smallest detail - the biggest thing I remember from LOTR was Fangorn forest, and for WOT it was the fucking doublets of all the assholes at the one meeting Rand has in like book 7 or something. I tended to skim over those, but I think in large part to how they just had this entire world that was so real to them they could nail down the smallest things was part of why I really liked Jordan. Also, the "tone" of books is what tends to keep me reading. Jordan's tone was overall better for his series. Sanderson is very good; Elantris was a little oddly toned, but Mistborn was phenomenal. Still, for WOT as long as you skimmed past some of the women's chapters, the long, extended descriptions of things etc, I think it was better with Jordan.

HOWEVER, I will say that I think Jordan lost a bit of what I loved going to the end of the series, so when Sanderson arrived I think it definitely sparked some good things. Some characters became exceedingly more likeable, and I am unsure if it was the way Sanderson wrote them or the way Jordan wanted them written that did it, but I found there were characters I liked much more after he took over.

The last book was very good, though I did have an issue with...

Egwene dying. I have a hard time reconciling things like this that happen because someone deems it instead of it just seeming natural. I mean, it makes sense that someone would be a casualty, but partly due to Min's visions about Egwene and partly because of how it was leaked that Sanderson's widow wanted her to die caused the character death to just seem contrived. It wasn't really surprising however. Once Gawyn went full retard I was almost positive Egwene was fucking dying too.

Oh, and Siuan and Bryne dying was fucking terrible too, though really only because it all happened "off-screen" as it were. They stayed together the entire time, thought that Min's vision had been complete and then they die anyways, but the part that made it stupid was that you see Siuan making a specific decision, then later someones like, yea they totally died man. Would have been better if there were at least a few paragraphs describing their last actions, or the moment when they felt the other died and realized, oh shit.

Lan being a motherfucking badass makes up for it though. Holy shit man.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Seriously, fuck Robert Jordan. I shouldn't be in the 13th (and second to last) book in this series and still be reading about major characters refusing to accept their lot in life. This series should have taken six books max to finish. Two books full of all of them complaining about how they are just simple farmers and how much they hate the things they have to do is plenty. 13 is fucking outrageous.

/rant

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Anyone ever think about having cowboy sex with Nynaeve? You know, you're banging her doggy style when you say "Moiraine fucks better than you." Hold on!

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Just hit book 4 and what the fuck is wrong with these people? Lets see, about 7/10 times we sleep at an inn something terrible happens. Some tries to murder us and we get no sleep/have to leave town.

The alternative, camping out in the woods, works out just about everytime.

But fuck it, lets just pull into another inn so all hell can break loose soon. Even better lets stay at an inn and leave the horn in the room with 1 loser guarding it, I wonder what will happen, Hrm.

Anyway, really like the series so far, but everyone but Lan seems to do really stupid shit, I want more Lan and animal sex with Nynaeve.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well, at that point in the books yes, they are all pretty naive and stupid...except for Lan. So when you think about it that way, all is going according to how it should!

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
nynaeve ended up being my 3rd favorite char.

Matt>Lan>Nynaeve>everyone else

in all honesty i think Matt would kick Lan's ass in a real fight.

Lan is a badass motherfucker though. Matt just Wins because he is the Gambler.

As for Series Length...7 books tops would have been a significantly "tighter" story.

Gawyn and galadred imo were a waste of the last few books- they could have been so much Better, but Nooo they turned into dicks. ESPECIALLY Gawyn.

Sterling

El Presidente
Didn't really care for how Sanderson did Mat. Jordan Mat was definitely the best character though.