Wheel of Time series

tad10

Elisha Dushku
In the Silmarillion a brother and sister marry. It does not end well.

Tolkein just wanted to remind everyone that he read the Norse Poetic and Prose Eddas when hew was 17. A brother and Sister marry in Heinlein and that ended fabbo. I'd give a solid slver penny to read unexpurgated Heinlein - there was an SF author into weird and interesting sexual situatiions - there is no such thing as unexpergated or bowderlized Tolkein just edits by Christopher Tolkein to make a couple of bucks for the Estate. As for Robert Jordan who the fuck knows - or cares after the sixth or seventh book.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You’d probably like the Sword of Truth series. It has an OP character like Rand and all kinds of crazy sex shit. Bloody blow jobs, rape, you name it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Terry Goodkind is definitely a special human being that's for sure. But that weird football like game he created was so fun to read haha.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
If you want a book to bludgeon you over the head with the author’s political stance over and over and over again, sword of truth is for you. Oh and a main character whose power is literally “you can use magic but it only happens when you need it to advance the plot of the story”.

Plus Terry Goodkind is a megacunt. And Tad is on drugs

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
That said, the political stuff does make Sword of Truth a fascinating sort of trainwreck. Especially since it wasn't until the halfway point of the series that he really committed to using the books to proselytize for sucking Ayn Rand's metaphorical dick, and he had already established things in the first half of the series--back when he was mostly just trying to write a fantasy series--that actively contradicted Objectivism. Watching him scramble to deal with that was fun.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That said, the political stuff does make Sword of Truth a fascinating sort of trainwreck. Especially since it wasn't until the halfway point of the series that he really committed to using the books to proselytize for sucking Ayn Rand's metaphorical dick, and he had already established things in the first half of the series--back when he was mostly just trying to write a fantasy series--that actively contradicted Objectivism. Watching him scramble to deal with that was fun.
Goodkind does not like his works of art to be called fantasy

First of all, I don't write fantasy. I write stories that have important human themes. They have elements of romance, history, adventure, mystery and philosophy. Most fantasy is one-dimensional. It's either about magic or a world-building. I don't do either.

Except for when his writing is just so good that it is fantasy and lifts the whole genre up

What I have done with my work has irrevocably changed the face of fantasy. In so doing I've raised the standards. I have not only injected thought into a tired empty genre, but, more importantly, I've transcended it showing what more it can be-and in so doing spread my readership to completely new groups who don't like and wont ready typical fantasy. Agents and editors are screaming for more books like mine

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'd be curious to see what happens if someone just read the 1st book, and the last book of series.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Oh, and while I didn’t think the first book was that bad (a bit rapey perhaps), this synopsis had me rolling

Underground Reading: Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
From the comments:

* The bit where Richard, who has no sculpting experience at all, carves a beautiful statue which instantaneously inspires a mass rebellion in the evil empire he's been imprisoned in. The statue is of himself looking buff.

This is where I quit the books. I did enjoy the ending of the 4th book where a character got back at his cheating wife by getting fantasy aids from some hookers and giving it to the wife and the royal family she slept with.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
The Eye Of The World

$2.99 Kindle version currently.

How long are these books good for? Seems like a really solid series, according to a few people I have spoken to.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
The Eye Of The World

$2.99 Kindle version currently.

How long are these books good for? Seems like a really solid series, according to a few people I have spoken to.
People shit on the series but there's more good than bad. The 3 main protagonists are good and there's plenty of good shit that happens. That being said, especially in the middle books, there's need for better editing. Books 7-11 should probably be 3 or 4 books instead of 5. The Sanderson stuff is almost completely the other direction in that he wrapped things up maybe too fast and his take on some of the characters, particularly Mat seemed off but mostly he concluded the series satisfactorily. It's worth reading through.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Winters heart was the death of these books for me. Could not get past it.

• 1WTF

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Right, those two books are awful. Not as bad on reread, just skip the shitty character chapters.

Overall I would still recommend reading the series. It’s a good bit of world building and some good characters and plot lines. The main problem is there are awful characters and pointless plot lines that take over the middle part of the series.

Also I hate the semi cliffhanger ending of the series.

Sterling

El Presidente
Right, those two books are awful. Not as bad on reread, just skip the shitty character chapters.

Overall I would still recommend reading the series. It’s a good bit of world building and some good characters and plot lines. The main problem is there are awful characters and pointless plot lines that take over the middle part of the series.

Also I hate the semi cliffhanger ending of the series.
Yeah, I mean the Faile shit and the Camelyn shit could have been a handful of chapters instead of like half those 2 books.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I hated Winters Heart the first time through. However, I've grown to like it more on rereads. Crossroads of Twilight can eat a dick though. Knife of Dreams was another hard book to get through at first, but its not so bad now.

Del

Vyemm Raider
I somewhat enjoyed Winter's Heart. It had more going for it than Path of Daggers. Crossroads of Twilight is the worst book I've ever read, though, so fucking pointless. Knife of Dreams was actually pretty good, which is a shame because it gave me hope for the end of the series, but I found Sanderson's ghostwriting to be mostly mediocre. I forced myself to read just to finish the story.