Wheel of Time

Xevy

Log Wizard
I looked up Lanfearr's actress to see how old she is.

Was not expecting that.

She's 36. She's a few months older than me. I had her pegged at like early 40's at least.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I looked up Lanfearr's actress to see how old she is.

Was not expecting that.

She's 36. She's a few months older than me. I had her pegged at like early 40's at least.
Ya. She definitely looks to be in her 40's. Shes still attractive "in the right light" but either way, she doesnt look decrepit. Or to be specific, she doesnt look as bad as the rest of the cast.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
When I was reading the books, when describing Lanfear , at least as Selene, I thought of more of a Kristen Kreuk look. Kinda like how she was in Smallville back in the day.

Though by the casting of everyone, it is so off that it is clearly intentional. I think my previous post a few years ago stand where I basically said that this show won't take "off" as LOTR, GOT or Harry Potter. Because those were more or less (at least as much as can be expected) true to their source material. Especially in terms of casting. You didn't see something on screen and get this uncanny valley feeling even if they are real people because you "know" that is not how they should look. They've altered so much of the plot, story, characters that you can't have a "red wedding" event where George.R.R Martin said that it was his favourite thing at the time the episode was annouced that people who had read the books were taping their loved ones reactions. LOTR, GOT, Harry Potter got hype at the start from the fans of the books. They saw the things, recommended the movies/shows to friends, they were "good", had to wait a year for next installment, didn't want to wait, bought books, became fans, recommended them to others. Positive loop. Bookstores were filled with those books that were usually in the back in the hidden section of "fantasy", now they were are display tables.

Fans of the books of this show can't recommend it, because it's not longer "from" the books. Rather than a positive spin, you get a negative one. If someone who hasn't read the books but like it start talking about it to someone who has, it's like an argument starting rather than "yeah it was great, but the book gives even more details". It's "none of that should have happened, what are they doing, they shouldn't look like that, he wouldn't do that, that makes no sense, if they did that then what about the plot twist that is supposed to happen in 4 books from now? etc."

Amazon is Amazon, it has money and is invested. It might last, but if this was a regular network TV show, I don't think it would last long. Wheel of Time could undobtedly been a new GOT. With even more funding, perhaps even bigger due to fantasy now being more mainstream, and this has a lot of magic and even natural "girl power" and diversity. Though that wasn't enough and they had to push it way beyond.

Shame.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amazon is Amazon, it has money and is invested. It might last, but if this was a regular network TV show, I don't think it would last long. Wheel of Time could undobtedly been a new GOT. With even more funding, perhaps even bigger due to fantasy now being more mainstream, and this has a lot of magic and even natural "girl power"
Weird how they hired a flaming activist showrunner for WoT, but hired regular vanilla showrunners for RoP.

No real consistency in what they're doing.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Nynaeve lol? Did she even do anything in the finale, let alone the season, besides look upset and constipated? Did she even channel this season? Agree with you on everybody else.

After a few good episodes, finale fell flat. Felt super rushed/condensed and would have been far better spread over 2-3 episodes.

One of the only things I was looking forward to was the sword fight between Turok and Rand, and they neutered it Indiana Jones style.

These hack writers are seriously the worst.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

think it is still one of prime's top shows, nielsen
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 09-59-20 Top Ten Nielsen.jpg

e3 came out on sept 1 and e4 on sept 8

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Zindan Zindan for that synopsis of the finale, take what Burns Burns said and replace "Lan" with "Rand." Lan is with Moiraine on the beach all episode, Rand is the one who (possibly) kills Ishamael.

Overall the season was maybe better than season 1, but still a fucking infuriatingly bad adaptation of the books. As said many times in this thread, if they had stuck with the source material like GoT, Harry Potter, many, many others, it could have been phenomenal. I have such a weird love/hate relationship with it, but the love part is decreasing rapidly. It's hard to enjoy writing you love being brought to life on screen when it's deformed so badly.

At this point I think the best thing would be for this show to stop, and for someone else to pick up the IP and do an animated adaptation ala Arcane. That would have so much potential if they stuck to the fucking books.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Zindan Zindan for that synopsis of the finale, take what Burns Burns said and replace "Lan" with "Rand." Lan is with Moiraine on the beach all episode, Rand is the one who (possibly) kills Ishamael.
Opps, was too busy looking up the names of the Forsaken, and how to spell them, to notice I was getting other names messed up.

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
No book knowledge the wife was very confused as to why he turned to ash and was happy. I had to explain when killed like that they are removed from the wheel. I assume they will explain next season but seemed like an important thing to just hard cut away from.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No book knowledge the wife was very confused as to why he turned to ash and was happy. I had to explain when killed like that they are removed from the wheel. I assume they will explain next season but seemed like an important thing to just hard cut away from.

Was it implied that his sword magically balefired Ishamael? I wasn't honestly sure why he turned to ash like that, that's not how anything is ever depicted in the books.

That scene was just pure garbage honestly. Made zero sense.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That whole last scene with Turbo-Shield-Egwene and Rand just walking forward to pig-stick Ishmael was awful and anti-climactic. The writers get an A for Forsaken casting and a B for the Seanchan, and an F for everything else. Turning Lan into some woke Samurai pussy has to be the worst though.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Was it implied that his sword magically balefired Ishamael? I wasn't honestly sure why he turned to ash like that, that's not how anything is ever depicted in the books.

That scene was just pure garbage honestly. Made zero sense.

I highly doubt Ishamael was supposed to be balefired in the finale. Balefire is easy enough to make with CGI since the person just disappears and events around them are undone due to balefire's tendency to burn a person out of the pattern so much it undoes other threads around them.

When Ishamael turned to ash and crumbled away, I assumed it was the Dark One claiming him, since in the books he returns later in another body under the name Moridin, the new leader of the Forsaken. Which isn't a reward from the Dark One but actually punishment since he really really wanted to be dead for good.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did the Rand vs. Ishy fight at least have Rand get stabbed in the right side, which allowed him to burn Ishy to a crisp? That stance was a big part of Rand & Lan interaction, and has far reaching consequences throughout the rest of the series (in the books at least). Did Ishy fight with a Staff?

• 1Worf

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Did the Rand vs. Ishy fight at least have Rand get stabbed in the right side, which allowed him to burn Ishy to a crisp? That stance was a big part of Rand & Lan interaction, and has far reaching consequences throughout the rest of the series (in the books at least). Did Ishy fight with a Staff?

Rand does get stabbed in the side, but they completely changed it because it's Mat who throws a crafted polearm (a pole with the Shadar Logoth dagger attached at the end of it) at Ishamael but Ishamael is only an illusion and so the spear hits Rand in the side. The ugly wound is a plot point just like the books, but they manage to heal it mostly (it leaves a horrible scar). Ishamael used no weapon, he just kept launching fireballs at Rand who was protected by Egwene's shield. Rand then channels fire through his heron-mark sword and stabs Ishamael. The sword becomes fire and the blade melts, the heated hilt brands a heron in Rand's palm. Ishamael falls to the ground, looks happy to finally die, and crumbles into ash.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Rand does get stabbed in the side, but they completely changed it because it's Mat who throws a crafted polearm (a pole with the Shadar Logoth dagger attached at the end of it) at Ishamael but Ishamael is only an illusion and so the spear hits Rand in the side. The ugly wound is a plot point just like the books, but they manage to heal it mostly (it leaves a horrible scar). Ishamael used no weapon, he just kept launching fireballs at Rand who was protected by Egwene's shield.

I really don't understand their motive for changing that at all.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I really don't understand their motive for changing that at all.

Me either... I mean, the crafted polearm itself was kind of almost clever because it looked like the weapon Mat gets much later from the Tower of Ghenjei, and he is supposed to be proficient with that kind of weapon in his past incarnations. But they could have had that for Mat while also keeping Ishamael being the one to stab Rand with something... Plus the point of the wound was that Rand felt the evil of the Dark One from it, while this stab wound from the dagger is going to be from another evil entirely since Shadar Logoth is its own particular thing (and faction later).

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My favorite part was when Lan barehanded the arrow but then the guy on the cliff never shot again.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
My favorite part was when Lan barehanded the arrow but then the guy on the cliff never shot again.

Did you see how many Seanchan soldiers there are? They get one arrow each. They shoot it and go get it back. It was his one arrow and Lan fucking stole it and used it to stab someone else.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Me either... I mean, the crafted polearm itself was kind of almost clever because it looked like the weapon Mat gets much later from the Tower of Ghenjei, and he is supposed to be proficient with that kind of weapon in his past incarnations. But they could have had that for Mat while also keeping Ishamael being the one to stab Rand with something... Plus the point of the wound was that Rand felt the evil of the Dark One from it, while this stab wound from the dagger is going to be from another evil entirely since Shadar Logoth is its own particular thing (and faction later).
Yea, and its when Padan Fain slashes that old wound from Ishy with the SL dagger that Rand gets the idea on how to cleanse Saidin. My guess is that they will have Nyn come up with the idea... because Womyn Better.

• 3Like