Wheel of Time

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So, I had given up after episode 1 because there were too many stupid and useless changes for my taste...even though I expect changes to bring books to TV. The changes they made felt dumb to me and I felt didn't really do anything to help the transition from books to TV.

In this thread, and some friends told me that episode 2 and 3 were bit better and followed the book more closely. Also I read something that Brandon Sanderson said about the TV show, that it was kind of different turning of the wheel. I think that's a cop out, but I decide to be a bit more open minded and accept that it's not the same turning of the wheel so to speak and it's going to be different.

I did enjoy episode 2 and 3 a bit more looking at it this way, the changes bothered me less. At the end of episode 3 though, I realize that changes aside, this is just not a good tv show. The pacing is off, the dialog is painful at times which isn't helped by pretty bad acting for some of the actors/actresses. Some are ok but a lot are just bad.

So I really gave up now, not going to watch past these 3 episodes. I really wanted to like this, and I feel I gave it a fair chance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Also I read something that Brandon Sanderson said about the TV show, that it was kind of different turning of the wheel. I think that's a cop out, but I decide to be a bit more open minded and accept that it's not the same turning of the wheel so to speak and it's going to be different.

That's because it is a cop out. That's not how the damn Wheel works. It's not a record player on endless repeat with a few variations. What's worse is all the idiots on reddit who lap that shit up. Dude wants to change things? Fine, go ahead, we can't stop you. But, don't fucking try to give a lore reason for your shit, cause it just proves you're a retard who doesn't understand the lore. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool...etc etc.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah there wasn’t a mcu style multiverse where infinite realities happened similar but different. That’s stupid of them to even try to throw that out there.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure the actor playing Rand is a pale mullato.
He reminds me way too much of Hayden Christianson. With a horrible sweater.

Oh one more rant. It was so stupid the dark friend girl made a comment about Rand being gay, and he’s all “I’m not but I’m totally cool with it”. Then ten seconds later she reveals she knows all about his actual love life, even by name. She wouldn’t think to ask if he’s gay. Was just a Netflix style shoehorned wokeness line that stood out like a sore thumb.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah there wasn’t a mcu style multiverse where infinite realities happened similar but different. That’s stupid of them to even try to throw that out there.
Well, no. In the books there are several depictions of alternate worlds, with different timelines. All are real. We see this with the Aes Sedai ceremony, we see this with the Traveling Stones throughout The Great Hunt with Selene / Rand. We see this at the end with Rand & the Dark One. This is what made Ishmael insane, the knowledge of always being reborn as the DO's servant and why he wants to try and end the Pattern, rather than just "win" the fight for that particular World.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well, no. In the books there are several depictions of alternate worlds, with different timelines. All are real. We see this with the Aes Sedai ceremony, we see this with the Traveling Stones throughout The Great Hunt with Selene / Rand. We see this at the end with Rand & the Dark One. This is what made Ishmael insane, the knowledge of always being reborn as the DO's servant and why he wants to try and end the Pattern, rather than just "win" the fight for that particular World.
I remember history repeating itself over a vast time frame but not alternate realities happening at the same time. Could just be my failing memory but I thought alternate things they were seeing in the aes sedai rituals were just visions of what could be, not that it was legitimately happening concurrently.

The theory that the show is one of those alternates just seems like an extremely lazy way to hand wave away all the changes they made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember history repeating itself over a vast time frame but not alternate realities happening at the same time. Could just be my failing memory but I thought alternate things they were seeing in the aes sedai rituals were just visions of what could be, not that it was legitimately happening concurrently.

The theory that the show is one of those alternates just seems like an extremely lazy way to hand wave away all the changes they made.
It is lazy, but there is precedent within the books for something like that being possible, especially via the Traveling Stones.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It is lazy, but there is precedent within the books for something like that being possible, especially via the Traveling Stones.
Hmm yeah, I remember that now. The portal stones led to other variations of worlds. The closer to the real one they were the more solid they were, time was different in those worlds. I was thinking only of the main world and the visions and trials.

Either way, if that’s the route they go with on the show....dumb. Like why even do that. I mean it doesn’t really matter, they made the decisions and it was a bad one, so whatever I guess.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I will be okay with whatever stupid changes they want to make as long as rand dies at the end of an episode halfway through the season and a voiceover says I WIN AGAIN, LEWS THERIN, then the show resets with more changes.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Another theory would be that this is a completely different cycle of the wheel than the books, so things could be different.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Another theory would be that this is a completely different cycle of the wheel than the books, so things could be different.

No, it's not a theory, that's literally what they are using as an excuse for these changes. The alternate timeline discussion was a tangent. Again, that's not how it works. Yes, the same themes and similar events reoccur, the champions of Light do battle with the DO and his minions. What doesn't happen is every 50k (or however many) years the same people with the same names are born in the same named places. That's like fucking Matrix shit, lol.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
100% guarantee The Dragon Reborn is gonna be a chick in the TV show, and i'm pretty sure its gonna be one of the 2. I bet it'll be the huge reveal in the season finale to shock viewers. They've dropped a few minor hints in lines at this, Moraine even flat out said The Dragon Reborn could be a man or woman, and there's some new weird undertones about Nynaeve being born elsewhere.

the other dumb thing about episode 3 was how Nynaeve tracked them around thousands of trollocs and Shadar Logoth. Like no explanation or anything. I forget in the books, I know she catches up with them but isn't it quite different?

• 1Worf

Raes

Vyemm Raider
the other dumb thing about episode 3 was how Nynaeve tracked them around thousands of trollocs and Shadar Logoth. Like no explanation or anything. I forget in the books, I know she catches up with them but isn't it quite different?

Don't forget the fact that they were all mounted until they got to Shadar Logoth. Nynaeve was on foot. And, even though she's the village Wisdom/healer, didn't go back after the attack, and also somehow knew the others had left, and was able to track them...somehow. But, it's fine! Gotta leave some stuff out, cuz it's tv, not a book!

• 1Like

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
So.. since I only watched first 3 episodes, there's no Elyas Machera so far in the story, so Perrin isn't going to feel bad for killing two Children of the Light but has been instead made feel bad for killing his wife by accident. Patchetic. Also, what was that thing about Whitecloaks actually killing an Aes Sedai?

Where's Min Farshaw in the series currently? Isn't she pretty important for the story, considering she's one of the Holy Trinity to balance the Dragon Reborn?

• 1Like