Wheel of Time

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Disparu pointed something out in his s2 ep1 video, that I don't think I've seen anyone comment on.
The logo. A spiral is not an wheel or Ouroboros. A spiral has VERY different connotations and concepts, then the infinity ouroboros, or wheel.
I think you are placing way too much agency into the small brains of people in charge of this show. They probably thought "SNAKE SPIN HAHA COOL" and then cautiously looked over at the local sichergeschlechtheitspolizei to make sure they didn't offend anyone by having that spontaneous thought.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First 3 episodes, to quote the kids these days, were so mid. The best part was one line by Verin when she tells Moiraine that even oaths have loopholes. But Moiraine being cut off from the source, fighting with Lan constantly, I mean that’s just the tip of the iceberg of stupid changes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
First 3 episodes, to quote the kids these days, were so mid. The best part was one line by Verin when she tells Moiraine that even oaths have loopholes. But Moiraine being cut off from the source, fighting with Lan constantly, I mean that’s just the tip of the iceberg of stupid changes.
Snooze fest

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I read this series so many years ago, it's probably a salvation that I don't recognize all the plot changes, but yeah, like so much today, the casting is simply horrible. And I'm not just talking about the fact that the show should be named "Wheel of Mulatto". The race swapping is cringe enough, but the acting/role is just... wrong for most characters. Also, the CGI for the trollocs is just horrible and Loial looks like a 70's era muppet.

I forget, but did Nynaeve have the same Arches experience in the book, because I don't remember it going down that way, and it was poorly done on the show.

So far, the only thing that they've done well in terms of plot/costumes are the Seanchen, and they'e shown up way too early.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I am looking at this with the better half. I keep pointing out shit that just didn't happen. Every miscast actor. Every little plot change...and she loves it.

This is made for the her and her friends that never read the books. Not me.

The most egregious of the changes is everything to do with Moraine. From the actress, to the bickering with Lan...Just everything.

The second worstestet thing? THAT FUCKIN MOLE ON THAT BITCHES NOSE!!!

I hate myself for watching this shit.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I forget, but did Nynaeve have the same Arches experience in the book, because I don't remember it going down that way, and it was poorly done on the show.
Nah. I don't remember exactly but the arch in her trial appeared, disappeared, and came back right away.

Plus those trials were different than I recall. I remember one arch was some maze or whatever she had to traverse. Another arch was something to do with her going back to the Two Rivers, and having to confront The womens circle. I forget the last one. Like I know it was with Lan, but it didn't happen the way they portray it on the show. I DO remember Siuan Sanche and other big wig Aes Sedai were waiting for her when she came out the final arch. Not Elayne and The Mole.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I am looking at this with the better half. I keep pointing out shit that just didn't happen. Every miscast actor. Every little plot change...and she loves it.

This is made for the her and her friends that never read the books. Not me.

The most egregious of the changes is everything to do with Moraine. From the actress, to the bickering with Lan...Just everything.

The second worstestet thing? THAT FUCKIN MOLE ON THAT BITCHES NOSE!!!

I hate myself for watching this shit.
Gaslight her and tell her when these events happen in the books it was a lot more epic.

Get her hooked on the novels and by the time season 3 happens she'll be just as pissed off as you are.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wasn't going to watch season two, but this thread kept getting bumped, and I already watched season one, so...

As a non-book reader, I have found it better than season one (and Ring of Powah) at least, but that's not saying much. Probably a 5/10 on the IMDB scale, so far.

One good thing is, it looks like they ran out of ugly people in Hollywood to cast and had to upgrade to decent looking. Although she may not have a huge part, unless she ends up following one of the main characters around:
2023-09-06 01.51.44 www.amazon.com 8c1ae0e3831d.png

Here are some uggo pallet washers, to get you back in the mood of the thread:

2023-09-06 01.32.02 www.amazon.com 812d6a3924e2.png

2023-09-06 01.38.01 www.amazon.com e65386f52ef7.png

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, they get some average looking actress to play a character who's supposed to be like the hottest chic who ever lived...
And when you compare her to the rest of the cast, it works.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, they get some average looking actress to play a character who's supposed to be like the hottest chic who ever lived...
And when you compare her to the rest of the cast, it works.
Reminds me of a couple bases when I was in the Army. Just a sea of dudes everywhere, but that one homely chick that signed up to be a cook? You'd knock the brakes off her ass at the drop of a hat. But then you go home for Christmas and get a harsh, cold reminder, from your ex-g/f that your standards just fell off a cliff.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Reminds me of a couple bases when I was in the Army. Just a sea of dudes everywhere, but that one homely chick that signed up to be a cook? You'd knock the brakes off her ass at the drop of a hat. But then you go home for Christmas and get a harsh, cold reminder, from your ex-g/f that your standards just fell off a cliff.
1694024181748.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wouldn't even care about the ugly cast if the showrunner didn't state that it was a personal agenda to make that decision.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
They actually did a good job with the tower stuff compared to how bad they shit the bed with other things, like casting.

Rand, Nynaeve, Elayne, and blockhead Elaida get a pass on casting and character adaptations.

Matt and Min get a fail, but tolerable fail.

The rest of the protagonists are total disasters. I’m not a huge fan of the series, but if I could make Henry Cavil play Lan, then there would be a chance.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The rest of the protagonists are total disasters. I’m not a huge fan of the series, but if I could make Henry Cavil play Lan, then there would be a chance.

Funny, I think Lan isn't really a big issue, he's just a little bit more emotional than he was in the books but he's otherwise a pretty convincing Warder. But they just gave him shit scenes in this season because of all the bickering with depowered Moiraine that wasn't in the books..

For me the main casting issue is Perrin, he looks like a dumb mouthbreather. Hell if it wasn't for Giant Mogatoo Loial around him in the scenes, you'd think the dude playing Perrin is playing an ogier because he looks distractingly out of place. Also not really sure why they gave him the angst of killing his own wife accidently, it's not like Book Perrin needed reasons to be emo even without that.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Funny, I think Lan isn't really a big issue, he's just a little bit more emotional than he was in the books but he's otherwise a pretty convincing Warder. But they just gave him shit scenes in this season because of all the bickering with depowered Moiraine that wasn't in the books..

For me the main casting issue is Perrin, he looks like a dumb mouthbreather. Hell if it wasn't for Giant Mogatoo Loial around him in the scenes, you'd think the dude playing Perrin is playing an ogier because he looks distractingly out of place. Also not really sure why they gave him the angst of killing his own wife accidently, it's not like Book Perrin needed reasons to be emo even without that.
Wasn’t that a theme in the books though? Perrin always took his time thinking shit out, and always thought people took him as slow? Not defending the casting, just that the idea of him being perceived as slow was in the books. It’s been awhile since I’ve read the first books, so I could be misremembering?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Wasn’t that a theme in the books though? Perrin always took his time thinking shit out, and always thought people took him as slow? Not defending the casting, just that the idea of him being perceived as slow was in the books. It’s been awhile since I’ve read the first books, so I could be misremembering?

That's fair, but there's a wide range of casting choices between looking "slow" and looking like you lick windows sprinkled with paint chips. The problem is that his "thinking things through" isn't really getting through to the audience in the show, he's done almost nothing except kill his own wife accidently so far, he's just plodding along following some secondary characters.

Hell, I just checked the actor and it's funny because on GIS there's a mix of pictures of him in the Perrin role and pictures taken outside of the show, and he has his mouth open or half-open in all the pictures as Perrin, but looks normal in other pictures.

I guess the director told him to act brain-damaged in which case this actor deserves a Grammy.

Unrelated but I find it funny how the showrunners decided to absolutely sprinkle diversity everywhere, even in places where it makes little sense (which is dumb because the books have a pretty large diversity but it's just in different regions and lands, not every wee village is a melting pot of cultures and races), so you end up having black / brown / yellow / white people living together in pseudo-medieval times without anyone batting an eye, but the moment the NPCs see a ginger dude it's a huge plot point or cause for panic.

Last edited:

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
That is funny about ginger aels

Perrin vs Moraine for % of screen time mouthbreathing would be interesting