When Is Cheryl's Birthday?

Simas_sl

shitlord
Don't cheat you fucks:

Albert and Bernard just met Cheryl. ?When?s your birthday?? Albert asked Cheryl.

Cheryl thought a second and said, ?I?m not going to tell you, but I?ll give you some clues.? She wrote down a list of 10 dates:

May 15, May 16, May 19

June 17, June 18

July 14, July 16

August 14, August 15, August 17

?My birthday is one of these,? she said.

Then Cheryl whispered in Albert?s ear the month ? and only the month ? of her birthday. To Bernard, she whispered the day, and only the day.

?Can you figure it out now?? she asked Albert.

Albert: I don?t know when your birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn?t know, either.

Bernard: I didn?t know originally, but now I do.

Albert: Well, now I know, too!

When is Cheryl?s birthday?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I thought this was an Archer thing, stopped reading two lines in. Disappointed.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I would ruin Cheryl. TBH I would ruin Judy Greer too. As long as she gets her rocks off on the rough play.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Going from 3 to 1 remaining is flimsy but technically valid. 10 to 5 and 5 to 3 is easy though.

Also, thank god Caps tied it up 1-1

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Potential solution:

July 16

Albert doesn't know, but he knows it wasn't a month with a unique date, the 18th or 19th (hence, how Bernard doesn't know). That eliminates May and June. We know Bernard wasn't told 18 or 19 (the unique dates), so he was told 14, 15, 16 or 17. Now he knows, meaning the elimination of May and June ruled out the only other possible date. The 16th is only used in July and May, and unlike the 15th and 17th, doesn't have multiple possibilities within the same available month (August). The 14th is used in both available months. Therefore, it is July 16th.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure we can choke it out of her. #GG
SUgiztH.png

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Potential solution:

July 16

Albert doesn't know, but he knows it wasn't a month with a unique date, the 18th or 19th (hence, how Bernard doesn't know). That eliminates May and June. We know Bernard wasn't told 18 or 19 (the unique dates), so he was told 14, 15, 16 or 17. Now he knows, meaning the elimination of May and June ruled out the only other possible date. The 16th is only used in July and May, and unlike the 15th and 17th, doesn't have multiple possibilities within the same available month (August). The 14th is used in both available months. Therefore, it is July 16th.
This is how I arrived at my answer as well.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Albert knows that Bernard used his answer to arrive at a conclusion. That tells him that the information he provided Bernard was enough for Bernard to solve it and therefore which day it was.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
All I care about is the year, because I just want to know if she is legal to bang. Because she is clearly crazy and we all know crazy chicks are great in the sack!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Anyone watch Brooklyn 99? Was that a real puzzle that Holt asked? IIRC, it went like this.

You're on an island with 12 people. They all weigh exactly the same except for 1, who is slightly heavier or lighter than the rest. The only tool you can use is a teeter totter, and you can only use it 3 times. How do you find the one person who is different?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Anyone watch Brooklyn 99? Was that a real puzzle that Holt asked? IIRC, it went like this.

You're on an island with 12 people. They all weigh exactly the same except for 1, who is slightly heavier or lighter than the rest. The only tool you can use is a teeter totter, and you can only use it 3 times. How do you find the one person who is different?
edit: I'm retarded, do 3 and 3, if they're the same, do the other 3 and 3, then 1 and 1

Szlia

Your solution does not work, because you do not know if the one guy is lighter or heavier, so you don't know in what set of 3 he is.

iannis

Musty Nester

6 + 6, 3 + 3, 1 + 1 + 1

You can measure 3 items with 1 measure. It is either 1 != 1 = 1 or it is 1 = 1 != 1. If you get lucky you can do it in 2 measures, but the most it should ever take is 3. 5 5 2, 2 2 1, 1 1.

The dates puzzle was pretty good, I thought. I actually had to jot down a fast table for it to become obvious.

This is a good one to throw at someone at lunch... it's not difficult so much as it's confusing if you're distracted. If one and a half eggs costs one and a half cents, how much do a dozen cost? You'll get a lot of 18 cents.