When is constructive criticism appropriate?

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
Today, one of my co-workers cried when I suggested that she socialize less. She spends so much time talking that it annoys a lot of people, and no one in my workplace has the balls to tell her. This has been going on foryears.Some people have indirectly (as a joke or to a group of people) asked her talk less. I work in a hospital, and I can say for a fact that her talking has delayed patient care.

I have a lot of experience suggesting stuff to people. I've done it many times at work, and people still like and respect me. So I talked to this person about her socializing, asking her if she would do it less, and she got all defensive, then started talking about random stuff not related to the issue at hand, and then drama'ed herself into crying. I did it in a reasonable and calm way, and people who heard me also agreed. I don't regret doing it at all. One of my other co-workers said that it may have been better if I had talked one-to-one, and I can see how that may have been better, but it's quite a bit more effective when you catch someone in the middle of the act. Also, I've always made suggestions in public (e.g., when someone is talking in the library and it bugs me).

This situation has left me thinking: when is it reasonable to tell someone that they bug you? You can give input into my situation, or you can talk about your own experiences in the workplace, with friends, family, girlfriend, or your spouse.

1) Is it always good to make a reasonable suggestion to someone, especially if you think it's constructive?
2) When should it be done and in what way?
3) When should you hold it in and not express your mind? Have you had experiences where you regretted not expressing your mind?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Do it when it's appropriate and do it in a way that does the least offending. Ie, in private, and not in front of anyone else. During my residency training there was some annoying cunt who talked non-stop, and she'd talk about other residents and it made me uncomfortable because I don't talk about people behind their backs, or talk about people period, so I didn't want to be associated with that shit. I just said "It makes me feel uncomfortable when you talk about people, please don't do that when I'm around." I try to frame shit as how I feel, instead of insulting them (ie, instead of "please quit talking about people, it makesyoulook like a retard.") Can't argue with howIfeel!

Blide_sl

shitlord
In the work setting, I just leave things be or take it up with my supervisor if it's impacting my work. From my experience, it's always a potential minefield if you call people on their bullshit when you're really in no position to. Like there's a lady I work next to who's literally on the phone all day doing jack shit. Everyone knows it (including her supervisor) but no one will call her on it because she's so politically well connected.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
In the work setting, I just leave things be or take it up with my supervisor if it's impacting my work. From my experience, it's always a potential minefield if you call people on their bullshit when you're really in no position to. Like there's a lady I work next to who's literally on the phone all day doing jack shit. Everyone knows it (including her supervisor) but no one will call her on it because she's so politically well connected.
Does her work affect the amount of work you need to do? If so, doesn't it eat you inside to know what she's doing nothing and you have to take the load?

To be honest, I am like this ideal knight kind of guy, and I don't care if I get in trouble for doing the "right" thing. I like to think that I put patient care first and foremost, and this woman at my workplace is a detriment to it. One of these days, I might find myself in the sewer for my character, but fuck it, I'm here to live life, not be some pussy, lol.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sorry, but if she cried when you suggested that she socialize less (and therefore allow people to do their work), she is a drama queen, and it wouldn't have mattered where/when/how you told her. There is simply no winning with some people. Hopefully, this will at least help in pointing out the elephant in the room. She should also leave you alone now, regardless of how attention-seeking she is, and if you're in the company of other people that were around at the time, she may be less likely to initiate anything.

That being said, I agree with aychamo in part, but I'd take it a step further. Yes, these things should be done in private, but if that's not possible (or you think that the individual may view a private conversation of this nature as cause for complaint), involve your supervisor or, if you have one, workplace relations advisor/harassment advisor. There are usually methods of reporting something like this to your friendly HR department as well. Most of the time, the situation can be approached more objectively by someone who isn't directly involved. If you take it on yourself to do something about the situation, you take it ALL on yourself -- success, failure, political consequences, etc. There is usually at least one forum in place to ensure that you don't need to take a personal risk to call someone out on their bullshit.

iannis

Musty Nester
Holy shit. God damn immediately if it has effected timely patient care in the past. And you don't have to be nice about it. Depending on where you work in a hospital you know there are some fairly long stretches of nothing important going on. She can talk all she wants to then, but needs to shut the hell up when something important actually does happen. And needs to be able to tell the difference.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Does her work affect the amount of work you need to do? If so, doesn't it eat you inside to know what she's doing nothing and you have to take the load?
In a sense, I was hired because I can easily take up her slack without it effecting my own work. She's one of those people that was hired decades ago to do something that has long since been made obsolete by computers. Of course now she's barely literate with computers and pretty incompetent in general so she's given little to do. Her last "big" project took her a year but still needed someone to come in afterwards and clean it up. That same assignment would have taken me no more than a week. She'll do everything manually when the software can easily automate things.

I'd love to see that lady get fired or at the very least humbled. She's a useless individual that has somehow developed quite the ego due to her political connections and how long she's worked there (30 years). She loves giving unsolicited advice for things she literally knows nothing about. I will admit I hate sitting next to her but it can be mildly entertaining sometimes just to see some of the ridiculous drama that she stirs up. Since she doesn't do any real work, she's somehow got her finger in all the drama that happens in the town.

Unsurprisingly where I work is for a local government. The place is poorly run but that slowly seems to be changing. Our particular department has been leaderless and directionless for several years due to politics. The reason that lady can even get away with doing jack shit is that there's frankly not enough to do anyway. We finally got a department head at the beginning of this year so hopefully that'll improve things but I don't intend to stick around to see what happens. Already got a good offer and also don't particularly care to be surrounded by the drama that inevitably follows new leadership.

Do it when it's appropriate and do it in a way that does the least offending. Ie, in private, and not in front of anyone else. During my residency training there was some annoying cunt who talked non-stop, and she'd talk about other residents and it made me uncomfortable because I don't talk about people behind their backs, or talk about people period, so I didn't want to be associated with that shit. I just said "It makes me feel uncomfortable when you talk about people, please don't do that when I'm around." I try to frame shit as how I feel, instead of insulting them (ie, instead of "please quit talking about people, it makesyoulook like a retard.") Can't argue with howIfeel!
This. The whole "I" statement thing is in nearly every book on effective communication. It reduces feelings of antagonism and encourages people to work with you if they are at all inclined to help.

Still though, unless it's necessary, you don't really want to be the douche that's sticking his nose in everyone's business. It also depends on your relationship with the person. Criticism in public tends to be humiliating or uncomfortable regardless of whether or not it's constructive. Telling someone to shut up in a movie theater isn't really criticism and "serious" breaches of etiquette like that deserve a little public pressure and humiliation.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Based only on the information you provided here, what you did was very unprofessional. If someone who worked for me did that, it would be a problem. You shouldn't have confronted her, you should have provided documented evidence to her supervisor to substantiate the impact to customer service, or at the very least talked to the supervisor and make them aware. And you surely should never confront anyone in public like that. This whole "ideal knight" thing and talking about doing what's right doesn't fly, because you were not right in this situation.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My experience in management is dealing mostly with people in their teens and 20s when I worked for Gamestop, very few of my employees were over the age of 30. A few were, but not many. From my experience though, most women can not take constructive work criticism well at all. They take it as a personal attack more often than not. Even if it is something as simple as "I need you to not come back from your break 10 minutes late every day, you're inconveniencing other people and it throws off our entire schedule for the day", they are going to act as if you just personally offended them, you might as well call them fat, you'll get roughly the same reaction.

I'd like to think that this is something they grow out of once past their 20s in general, but I'm not sure that they do. I work in an office now with multiple middle-aged women, and they don't seem to handle it any better at all. I'm going to have to assume that the rare woman who can stay professional in all situations are the ones that are going to work their way up the corporate ladder pretty well, but they are few and far between. I know women have been complaining for years that they don't have the same opportunities for advancement into the higher ranks of companies that men do, but I don't know that it's flat-out gender bias keeping them down, I think it's their own professionalism doing it a lot of the time.

I also don't think it's a reaction to me just being male that they can't handle constructive criticism well, as a DM I had several female managers under me that did really well and were very professional, but more often than not the female employees under them HATED their guts. More than once I had to transfer female employees to different locations because they could not be civil or work at all with female supervisors. I never once in all my years at that job had to transfer a male employee purely because he didn't get along personally with his supervisor/boss.

I'm sure I'm coming off as a chauvinistic jerk here, but that is my experience only spending about 6-7 years in middle management with large numbers of people below me that I had to fire, hire, and evaluate on a regular basis.

edit - to address the original situation in the thread though, you should never be telling someone else how to do their job unless you are their supervisor. If you see something wrong, you have to send it up the chain of command to be dealt with appropriately.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, at my job if you would have done that you would have had a grievance filed against you. In no way is it your jor or right to confront her on ANYTHING, that's what supervisors are for.

I'm not saying she was right and she shouldn't stfu more in the work place, but it wasn't your job to tell her, it wasn't your job to do it in front of others and it's not your job to be the "ideal knight" out for justice, you take things to your supervisor and let them handle it, that's what their job is for, you'rs is to do your job and not critique others.

Based only on the information you provided here, what you did was very unprofessional. If someone who worked for me did that, it would be a problem. You shouldn't have confronted her, you should have provided documented evidence to her supervisor to substantiate the impact to customer service, or at the very least talked to the supervisor and make them aware. And you surely should never confront anyone in public like that. This whole "ideal knight" thing and talking about doing what's right doesn't fly, because you were not right in this situation.
Agree. The three right answers to OP's question are:

1. If the person asks you for it (and this is only situationally applicable depending on the relationship you have with the person)
2. If you are the person's supervisor.
3. If one or two are applicable (and ONLY if 1 or 2 are applicable), only in private, never in public.

Yes its annoying, but you deal. Way too much possibility of it backfiring on you no matter how annoying someone is. Otherwise you report it to the persons supervisor and let them handle it. If they choose not to, then find a way to deal with it or move on. Because if the person in a DIRECT position of handling it can't or won't then you will get nowhere.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
Thanks for your input everyone. I've come to agree that I should have done it in private. In that case, would you recommend that I ask to speak privately right when I feel the urge to do so, or should I wait until I catch the person later on (maybe even a day or two after). When I do it later on, people tend to ask me for examples, and I don't remember them clearly, and the discussion isn't as persuasive.

In regards to speaking with a supervisor, this woman has been with the hospital for 25 years or so, and she has a good relationship with my direct supervisors. My direct supervisors KNOW that she talks too much, but they aren't effective at telling her in a serious manner (because of their relationship + because they tend to get all worked up when disciplining people - e.g. this woman is also late for work a lot, and I've heard them say "are you late again" once and turn red - the woman just thinks it's a joke / cute).

Further, the woman has always told me to tell people directly if I have a problem with them. She is always boasting about how she never tells on anyone, and that it's somehow a good thing (makes sense since she is the one who deserves to be told on the most, lol).

Gedrah_sl

shitlord
In an ideal world, anyone could give polite constructive criticism to anyone, but in this world, some people are going to flip their shit (or perhaps just smolder silently) regardless of how well you word your request, how you approach them, how right you are, how inconsiderate they're being, or how obvious it should be that they ought not be doing what they're doing. Trying to correct someone else, you always run the risk that they'll backlash on you somehow, either in public or in private, immediately or later on. Maybe they'll just spit in your coffee? But in general, the larger and more corporate the company you work for, the more likely that the correct course is just to peacefully speak with their supervisor about the disruptive behavior, as that person is being paid to manage the other employee's emotions and reactions to bad news, not you.

However, as you seem to work in a tight, small group and the management are ineffective with this woman, and because you also mention that she tries to create an "anti-snitching" atmosphere where she can keep acting how she does, I can only say I don't envy you and maybe you or she will win the lottery and never see each other again? In my various warehouse jobs, for example, having an awful coworker was never fixed by talking with them or with management, it was either fixed when they wrecked something expensive with a forklift or when I got myself a change of scenery...

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Screw what's "socially acceptable"... this woman is raping your ears. If it's not the brutal truth and straight to her face, then don't bother saying anything.
If she can't handle it..oh well, that's her problem. She'll get over it.
People today are pussies. They don't want to hurt someone elses feelings and instead sugar coat things or "church" it up.
Be blunt!! "Look, you talk way too much and frankly the office is tired of listening to you flap your face." and go on your own way.

Sure, the person may bitch, piss and moan and not like you, but who gives a shit. Sometimes people just NEED to be put in their place, whether by a co-worker, supervisor, friend or whatever.
If they don't like it, doesn't matter. They'll live.

Screw what's "socially acceptable"... this woman is raping your ears. If it's not the brutal truth and straight to her face, then don't bother saying anything.
People today are pussies. They don't want to hurt someone elses feelings and instead sugar coat things or "church" it up.
Be blunt!! "Look, you talk way too much and frankly the office is tired of listening to you flap your face." and go on your own way.

Sure, the person may bitch, piss and moan and not like you, but who gives a shit. Sometimes people just NEED to be put in their place, whether by a co-worker, supervisor, friend or whatever.
This is retarded. Being an unprofessional jackass is likely to have professional consequences.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

HR thanks you for for giving them job security.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
If she's been getting away with it for 25 years, then good luck. Unfortunately, you might end up looking like the asshole for making waves.

Years ago I had a second job as a produce clerk, and this one other part-timer was an older woman who'd been with the company for 13 years. She'd milk the time clock just right to get credit (it had a 6-minute window) by punching in 4 or 5 minutes late and punching out a couple minutes early. Because of that window, she'd still get counted for full credit for that time. She took her time doing her work, her husband would call her the same time every day OFF of her coffee break, and she'd socialize sometimes. They wrote her up for stupid shit, but in the end it seemed pretty pointless. Until that time, no one had really bothered with disciplinary action, so she'd had a clean record. Another problem, was that other people in the company were worse than her, yet weren't getting written up by their managers.

In the end, my manager gave up because...she showed up every day. Flawlessly, despite being a nuisance for those above things, she never missed a day unless it was some super serious reason. He took solace in that, and figured it was better to have that minor frustration (and schedule her during times he didn't have to see her!), then someone that didn't show up at all.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
no idea where OP works but in a business environment unless you're dealing with a subordinate you keep your mouth shut, especially if she is more tenured than you.

gonna be hilarious when the anti-social dipshit gets canned by HR.