Where are all the MMORPG games? lol

Where are all the MMORPGs, A+++ titles?

• Total voters

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
There are plenty of MMOs. Almost all made in Asia; they launch, their population crash two weeks later and they close after two to three years. Most of the time, they don't even bother with a worldwide launch.
Spot on, went to go check out what Sword of Legends was up to and shut down…it was one of the better ones but apparently no real updates and never fixed the optimization.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ashes of Creation is about the only MMO that I am looking forward too. They are up to 200 employees working on it and announced Alpha 2 for September(They said 3rd quarter but yeah..September). The monthly chat videos showing portions of the game look promising. Will this end up becoming the "next" MMO? Stay tuned.....

Other than that, not that much on the horizon that gets my interest.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Chicks or “chicks”?
The only IRL people I know that still admit to playing a lot of Retail WoW are three biological women all in their 30s who work in IT middle management and are also very active TikTok users. 2 are very high rated M+ healers, and all of them have like a bajillion pets and mounts. Like an unhealthy amount of mounts.

Xerge

<Donor>
AoC and New World are the only contenders for the usual MMOs currently, then you have niche markets like the recent Pax Dei. 2025/26 years will be interesting for the MMO market. Also i'd like to point out some current MMOs and games in development are waiting on 5x/6x release cards to work with. AoC is waiting on the end cycle of 5x for example. Was I allowed to say that?

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Much like RPGs, its because they aren't a genre, they're an element now. When even your Call of Duty has a persistent online background level with tiered rewards, all games are MMORPGs now.

Some games might hide their gear resets behind a seasonal pass facade, both to push fomo player engagement and to reset player gear to allow new players to not have to play twenty year's worth of expansions to catch up, but its still a persistent online character.

As for WoW mount hunting, in any game with constant gear resets, which are basically required to have a reasonable cost of entry for new players, the only thing that has any long term value are out of the ordinary cosmetics, whether they're Invincible's Reins or a Peter Griffin in a top hat skin in Fortnite.

Hell, WoW itself even codified that in Shadowlands, blocking a ton of cosmetic drops behind covenant choices so you could only farm one fourth of them at a time to stretch out total play time / months subscribed.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ashes of Creation is about the only MMO that I am looking forward too. They are up to 200 employees working on it and announced Alpha 2 for September(They said 3rd quarter but yeah..September). The monthly chat videos showing portions of the game look promising. Will this end up becoming the "next" MMO? Stay tuned.....

Other than that, not that much on the horizon that gets my interest.
AoC is "play to crush", right? Player-built cities, with other players being able to raid them?

I give it two years tops before it has to close due to lack of players.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think the industry is still reeling from the success of WoW, and lot of investors see below 10M subs as a failure because of it.

The market is ripe for a new "GOOD" mmo, anytime one launches it gets massive numbers on steam like New World did which shows there's interest for the genre. Most people knew New World was horrible, and still they bought it hoping it would be fixed before they got bored which never happened.

Games like Ashes of Creation and Star Citizen are probably scaring the investors too seeing how long a development cycle they have even though they are not typical development cycles.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The only IRL people I know that still admit to playing a lot of Retail WoW are three biological women all in their 30s who work in IT middle management and are also very active TikTok users. 2 are very high rated M+ healers, and all of them have like a bajillion pets and mounts. Like an unhealthy amount of mounts.
What about Mist Mist ?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The Dune game looks alright, aside from way too much sand.

Sand? In *my* maud'dib? It's more likely than you think.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A lot of the huge grossing games (revenue over copies/boxes) are mmos but not rpgs. They have a persistent world with usually hundreds of players depending on the environment. I think the most common is where you have a town and deal with other people (clash of clans and its variations etc) but there are many knockoffs. These will have their own minigames and shit inside to keep interest going. They provide all the social elements of an mmo but little to none of the rpg grind elements, and often gatekeep to prevent degenerate play from getting a nolife edge. Instead, they almost all go major micro transactions heavy with huge diminishing returns.

These are the modern mmos. These are what kids that would have been mmorpg gamers 1-2 decades ago play. Its not the mass multi-player and online thats dead, its the rpg side of it, which is harder to monetize and harder to regulate/cs both, making it a big loser for a gaming company. If mmorpgs had real return on investment potential, you'd probably see better efforts by major studios. They don't though.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
MMO cancer infected every other genre. We're patient zero for all the garbage micro transactions, daily/weekly chores, and companies wanting you to play one game for the rest of your life.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A lot of the huge grossing games (revenue over copies/boxes) are mmos but not rpgs. They have a persistent world with usually hundreds of players depending on the environment. I think the most common is where you have a town and deal with other people (clash of clans and its variations etc) but there are many knockoffs. These will have their own minigames and shit inside to keep interest going. They provide all the social elements of an mmo but little to none of the rpg grind elements, and often gatekeep to prevent degenerate play from getting a nolife edge. Instead, they almost all go major micro transactions heavy with huge diminishing returns.

These are the modern mmos. These are what kids that would have been mmorpg gamers 1-2 decades ago play. Its not the mass multi-player and online thats dead, its the rpg side of it, which is harder to monetize and harder to regulate/cs both, making it a big loser for a gaming company. If mmorpgs had real return on investment potential, you'd probably see better efforts by major studios. They don't though.
Oh yeah, I constantly forget that a whole bunch of mobile games are just clones of WoW with most of the pathing automated.

Goonsquad Officer
Americans cost too much pay to make an mmo. Asians put in too much grind. Most game developers resent gamers lately. It's a salad of retarded

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
EverQuest launched about five years before Facebook? Today we have so many social network options ... Why should I play (or develop) a mmo when I can stream and socialize any game via Discord and/or Twitch? If I'm entertaining enough ... then people will actually donate to watch me slay dragons.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I googled what $9.99/month (EQ at launch) would be equivalent to in 2024 and it is only $18.

I’m kinda surprised it’s not higher tbh

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I googled what $9.99/month (EQ at launch) would be equivalent to in 2024 and it is only $18.

I’m kinda surprised it’s not higher tbh

Ackshually, it was $9.89/month at launch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user