Where are the Euro style MMORPGs lately?

It seems like everything made in the past few years is Asian Or scifi themed.

What happened to the Euro-midevil style themed MMORPGs like Everquest? The only new one I can think of is Richard Garriott's game. I tried it, and honestly, meh.

I just can't get in to the action-based MMORPGs they keep pushing out where your character does fifty flips in the air while screaming in an Asian girls voice killing tons of mindless monsters. It's shallow game play at its finest.

I like dwarves, elves, gnomes, and halflings.

I enjoy spending an evening killing mobs in a mine shaft and working on my harvesting.

I prefer focusing on one to two mobs at a time and it taking 1/2 to 1 minute to finish A fight.

Is there anything out there for old farts like me anymore?

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
/thread

sadly.

One day this style of MMO will have a revival, I guarantee it. Just like roguelikes became hot as shit a few years back, the forgotten MMO prototypes will make a comeback eventaully. And people will hail them as being revolutionary, when in actual fact the industry had just fallen asleep for two decades.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It seems like everything made in the past few years is Asian Or scifi themed.

What happened to the Euro-midevil style themed MMORPGs like Everquest? The only new one I can think of is Richard Garriott's game. I tried it, and honestly, meh.

I just can't get in to the action-based MMORPGs they keep pushing out where your character does fifty flips in the air while screaming in an Asian girls voice killing tons of mindless monsters. It's shallow game play at its finest.

I like dwarves, elves, gnomes, and halflings.

I enjoy spending an evening killing mobs in a mine shaft and working on my harvesting.

I prefer focusing on one to two mobs at a time and it taking 1/2 to 1 minute to finish A fight.

Is there anything out there for old farts like me anymore?
Midevil? And we're supposed to take this thread seriously?

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
When I read the title I thought this was going to be about western style theme-park or pseudo sandbox vs eastern style grind fests combined with idiotic policies in order to try and make pvp fair in a horribly ineffective way.

But this is about standing behind a mob and making numbers vs. a game with action, movement in combat, and dodging attacks?

wat

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pretty valid tbh, it's akin to comparing cRPGs to aRPGs. Diablo wasn't better than Baldur's Gate because it was faster paced. They're different approaches, and both are valid. The OP is talking about the lack of Baldur's Gates in MMOs (lack of Everquests, my analogy is basically pointless but whatever).

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I'd be happy with an MMO with fun loot at this point. There's nothing exciting about drops in these games anymore.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So basically, you're looking for:

- A Dungeons&Dragons classical interpretation (or their remote descendants)
- With a focus on strategical/tactical combat rather than action combat
- And, what? Solo? (you seemed to imply solo camping and harvesting)

Then there's nothing. Probably not even in the indy scene.

One of the big problem is that, if you're going to the solo route (or offer a lot of solo stuff), then it's immensely better to offer action-based combat rather than tactical/strategic because slow-paced combat when you're alone is immensely boring. The EQ-style of combat you seem to be looking for is suited for group/social group settings in which you want/need to chat during combat. If you're going to solo camp your mineshaft or make your way to the next wood grove to harvest, it's not that good.

WoW-style rotation is probably the best compromise you can have between action-y combat for solo stuff and some tactical choices for group longer fights. But it's still primarily oriented for solo/"grouped solo" combat style.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
You are only satisfied with 1999 everquest? have you tried p99?

It's debatable if anyone will ever make a non-action MMO again, and I'm fairly certain that no one will ever again make a game where it takes a group of players 1+ minute to kill regular mobs for exp.

So basically, you're looking for:

- A Dungeons&Dragons classical interpretation (or their remote descendants)
- With a focus on strategical/tactical combat rather than action combat
- And, what? Solo? (you seemed to imply solo camping and harvesting)

Then there's nothing. Probably not even in the indy scene.

One of the big problem is that, if you're going to the solo route (or offer a lot of solo stuff), then it's immensely better to offer action-based combat rather than tactical/strategic because slow-paced combat when you're alone is immensely boring. The EQ-style of combat you seem to be looking for is suited for group/social group settings in which you want/need to chat during combat. If you're going to solo camp your mineshaft or make your way to the next wood grove to harvest, it's not that good.

WoW-style rotation is probably the best compromise you can have between action-y combat for solo stuff and some tactical choices for group longer fights. But it's still primarily oriented for solo/"grouped solo" combat style.
Your analysis is pretty spot on, but I think I miss represented one thing. The solo part is just for when I'm feeling anti social or wanting to do something while watching TV. I would expect the good loot drops to only drop from group content.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It is almost entirely a cost vs. expected return issue. There likely aren't enough players willing to pay for what it would cost to make such a game to the quality level everyone seems to want, see project Gorgon for example.

Also, I am curious, what is "fun" loot to everyone?

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Fun loot for me would be something that is difficult to get (rare drop from rare mob) but that gives a noticable boost in either Power or Utility, that may even be a bit overpowered for your level. With Utility I mean something like Journeymans boots, or a weapon with a Snare Proc that can be used by a Class that does not have snare abilities itself. A boost in Power would simply be a weapon or item that has great stats compared to the more mundane drops in the world. Reed Belt (+6 Wis) comes to mind, drop from an ultra rare mob in EQ. It could also be a rare drop that is needed for a difficult quest that yields a powerful reward. I.e. Epic Quests in EQ.

A fun drop should be a bit like the jackpot, in some way.

Not gonna happen anymore, especially since we are currently living in the "crafted goods should be best" era. Also, seems like game-companies are mortally afraid of creating "have's and have-not's" in their game.

I guess the Manastone in EQ is an example of how such loot can be rather unbalancing though.
smile.png
Which is why they nerfed it.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
It is almost entirely a cost vs. expected return issue. There likely aren't enough players willing to pay for what it would cost to make such a game to the quality level everyone seems to want, see project Gorgon for example.

Also, I am curious, what is "fun" loot to everyone?
Items that are more than just straight stats, aren't randomized, are rare, are unique, or unexpected.

Anything other than the same shit you got last level with slightly better stats. I want boots with run speed, belts with haste, weapons that proc shit. Stuff that makes a game more fun to play, that's fun loot. The kind of stuff you'd see in the Everquest series or just about any actual RPG. Running around a zone getting token drops that turn into randomized gear isn't fun. Getting a piece of gear at level 5 and upgrading it to +15 at end game isn't fun loot either. Seriously, I have the best weapon in BDO and I'm like "whoopdy fucking doo" because it's boring loot. WoW's loot has gotten so boring they've just decided to go with one weapon per class next expanison. One fucking weapon. Yay! Where's the fun in that? Where's the excitement of getting a kick ass weapon drop? Whose gonna let out a "fuck yeah!" and have a big goofy grin on their face when they "upgrade" that one item?...no one. Getting a kick ass drop used to be like opening a present on Christmas morning, now it's like going to the grocery store and picking up all the items on your list...so much fun!

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
If you didn't have the no Asians clause and some perverse aversion to action games black desert fulfills all your other desires. It's even euro style midieval fantasy based. But its made by asians

If you didn't have the no Asians clause and some perverse aversion to action games black desert fulfills all your other desires. It's even euro style midieval fantasy based. But its made by asians
People read way too much in to what others write. I'm not against Asian themed games not an I against action games. I'm just saying that seems to be the only things being made lately.

I don't really see Black Desert as being Euro style. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see Euro styled MMORPGs as having gnomes, dwarves, and elves that can be wizards, necromancers, Paladins, Fallen Paladins (shadow Knights), warriors, rogues, and clerics.

Plus people seem to act like non-action based MMORPGs some how provide no challenge and just boring game play. I argue that having to manage what spells/abilities you use, when you use them, and how often you use them in differing scenarios is more fun than bashing the same five keys over and over in action-based games. Is there really that much challenge in hitting dodge, attack, Dodge, attack?

I'm know I'm rambling on at this point, but there is one more thing. I believe that game designers have forgotten the most important part of MMORPGs; the characters. The whole point of an RPG is character development. The character you play is supposed to learn and grow throughout their experiences. Therefore, a level 50 warrior should mitigate damage better because the character has developed those skills over time. By making the MMORPGs action -based, the character is only as good as the person playing the character at any given time. Therefore, the character has not developed. The player has. That's fine for an action game, but that is directly in contrast with the basic fundamentals of an RPG. They should call them MMOGs rather than MMORPGs. They should be considered a completely different genre of game.