Who will be the next owners of EQ?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Only reason I'm here is because I also play EQ...

Anyway Adaptive AI is not something that was unique to EQN. Star Citizen also plans to implement it as part of their Subsumption feature that comes out with 3.0 in the coming months.

Star Citizen is working on some very hard problems in AI in relation to pathfinding and spaceship combat but the NPC stuff is nothing to write home about (not because they can't do it but because the game is not really about NPCs). The company behind the AI for SC is Case Study: Star Citizen | Kythera

Edit: by hard problems on pathfinding I mean that nobody has ever been able to do it before, not that they are just making it something slightly better

Last edited:

Mughal

Why did they buy SOE if they didn't know how to turn it around? Makes no sense.

Because they got it for free if they could cover the losses. The new acquirers thought they could turn SOE around. To some extent the company has never been better. Finally has some management structure and it's not run as a one man band with his buddies. Game development is structured (for the first time ever). but the core business is deteriorating fast. SOE was a company that traditionally was spending $2 to generate $1 in revenues.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
What sort of pathfinding problems are they solving? I've never had A* let me down. Dataset generation maybe?

The stuff that comes with Unreal is pretty good for that. They voxelize and build a simple navmesh. It isn't always accurate but they raycast to the feet so people don't walk on air etc.

Variise

N00b
SC is not about NPCs? Players are slated to be 10% of the living world. They have spent the past two years designing and then putting in R&D the tech to make a very compelling AI that has a life cycle and memory of your relationship to them. When not in any visual capacity to other players the AI will exist primarily in the economy simulation where they actively interact with one another. They will get into trouble or even die all at a very high level while no players are around. When players come into visual distance the economy server would spawn the NPCs in question based on the high level data it has and at that point the player will be able to interact with them. I can't even think of another game that has a similar level of detail planned for its AI.

I'm sure everyone can decide once they are done if they succeeded or failed but to say SC is not about NPCs is just plain wrong.

Also the AI has been pushed to the German engine team to integrate it into the larger Subsumption feature.

From today's Monthly Report on Star Citizen: August 2016

Foundry 42 DE
AI
The AI team made a big push on the navigation system to allow designers to setup navigation meshes in different object containers. A navigation area placed inside an object container will now be loaded at run-time, and it will connect to the right zone and the right local physics grid.

In the image you can see the navigation mesh on the landing pad, in Blue, and the one attached to the zone and local grids of the Constellation. We also worked on fixing several bugs related to the characters moving on non z-up surfaces, we still have some work to do there but things are progressing nicely.

We are now consolidating the usage of GUID for all the elements inside our Subsumption Editor and the actual core code, so that we can allow designers a large amount of flexibility when changing names of variables or renaming activities and subactivities, all without breaking any logic. We also introduced several new tasks that are now available to the design team:

1. SelectTarget: this node allows an NPC to select a perceived object/character as a target.
  2. TokenScope: this node allows designers to specify the maximum amount of NPCs that can execute a specific section of the logic.
  3. ReserveScope: this node allows an NPC to reserve an object for the duration of a specific action.
  4. IsEntityPlayer: this node allows an NPC to distinguish between an AI character and a Player character.
  5. IsTargetWithinDistance: this node allows the designer to create a specific logic when the target is within a specific distance.
Over the last month we began moving the combat activity into Subsumption, so that we can start the complete unification of the human behaviors under the Subsumption system.

Regarding the perception system, we can now enable NPCs to track both friendly and hostile characters, allowing us to craft more complex relaxed behaviors. We also submitted the first pass on the Large Object Vision map, this is a very similar system to the normal vision map we use, but oriented towards tracking large objects as capital ships.

The Cover System received the same love as the Navigation System, we completed the first pass to allow designers to properly setup cover surfaces in different object containers and load the cover data connecting it to the proper zone and local grid.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
SC is not about NPCs? Players are slated to be 10% of the living world. They have spent the past two years designing and then putting in R&D the tech to make a very compelling AI that has a life cycle and memory of your relationship to them. When not in any visual capacity to other players the AI will exist primarily in the economy simulation where they actively interact with one another. They will get into trouble or even die all at a very high level while no players are around. When players come into visual distance the economy server would spawn the NPCs in question based on the high level data it has and at that point the player will be able to interact with them. I can't even think of another game that has a similar level of detail planned for its AI.

I'm sure everyone can decide once they are done if they succeeded or failed but to say SC is not about NPCs is just plain wrong.

Also the AI has been pushed to the German engine team to integrate it into the larger Subsumption feature.

From today's Monthly Report on Star Citizen: August 2016

Foundry 42 DE
AI
The AI team made a big push on the navigation system to allow designers to setup navigation meshes in different object containers. A navigation area placed inside an object container will now be loaded at run-time, and it will connect to the right zone and the right local physics grid.

In the image you can see the navigation mesh on the landing pad, in Blue, and the one attached to the zone and local grids of the Constellation. We also worked on fixing several bugs related to the characters moving on non z-up surfaces, we still have some work to do there but things are progressing nicely.

We are now consolidating the usage of GUID for all the elements inside our Subsumption Editor and the actual core code, so that we can allow designers a large amount of flexibility when changing names of variables or renaming activities and subactivities, all without breaking any logic. We also introduced several new tasks that are now available to the design team:

1. SelectTarget: this node allows an NPC to select a perceived object/character as a target.
  2. TokenScope: this node allows designers to specify the maximum amount of NPCs that can execute a specific section of the logic.
  3. ReserveScope: this node allows an NPC to reserve an object for the duration of a specific action.
  4. IsEntityPlayer: this node allows an NPC to distinguish between an AI character and a Player character.
  5. IsTargetWithinDistance: this node allows the designer to create a specific logic when the target is within a specific distance.
Over the last month we began moving the combat activity into Subsumption, so that we can start the complete unification of the human behaviors under the Subsumption system.

Regarding the perception system, we can now enable NPCs to track both friendly and hostile characters, allowing us to craft more complex relaxed behaviors. We also submitted the first pass on the Large Object Vision map, this is a very similar system to the normal vision map we use, but oriented towards tracking large objects as capital ships.

The Cover System received the same love as the Navigation System, we completed the first pass to allow designers to properly setup cover surfaces in different object containers and load the cover data connecting it to the proper zone and local grid.

Oh, my God! Who fucking cares?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

othree

im sick and fucking tired of reading about star shitizen and all the wonderful innovation it's gonna bring. yaawwwwwwn

if they could implement even 5% of what they've discussed, my dick would be semi hard.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
Ban this faggot for continuously going off topic in a thread. Seriously. Fucking ban him for this shit. It's annoying as all fuck.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Hi Variise Variise please keep all Star Citizen comments in its proper thread. This thread is about the discussion of Daybreak games possibly selling EverQuest.

Continued derailment could result in disciplinary actions being levied against your account.

Thank you.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Jeeze guys. You are all so cynical. As long as Variise can weakly link the topic to Star Citizen then every thread can be about Star Citizen. I'm not sure why you guys refuse to trust the objectivity of someone who has admitted to spending tens of thousands of dollars in non-existant concept virtual space ships. He offers only positive additions to the threads he participates in as he seeks to spread Star Citizen Press Releases his educated opinion on all topics that, even in the most remotest of ways, touch on Chris Roberts Jesus game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
he keeps it up I'm going to ride all over the SC thread with Pantheon news!

• 1Like

Variise

N00b
You guys were discussing a specific type of AI as unique to EQN. It's not.

Just because you have a bias against me personally or SC does not suddenly mean it's off topic to bring up the fact that other games have that type of AI planned.. in this case just one.

One person commented SC has largely nothing to do with NPCs so I corrected it and linked to details showing how much detail they are working on when it comes to AI.

So it sounds like some of you have a personal problem.

kudos

<Banned>
You guys were discussing a specific type of AI as unique to EQN. It's not.

Just because you have a bias against me personally or SC does not suddenly mean it's off topic to bring up the fact that other games have that type of AI planned.. in this case just one.

One person commented SC has largely nothing to do with NPCs so I corrected it and linked to details showing how much detail they are working on when it comes to AI.

So it sounds like some of you have a personal problem.
Sounds like you want to be banned. Bye bye faggot.

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
Whoever buys it, I hope they actually reinvest money instead of milking it further.

If RuneScape can maintain and release nice updates 15 years later, there's still hope. Please let it be some rich nerd, who has a fondness for EQ.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The only hope was a new game to keep the franchise going, that disappeared into smoke and the company got gutted. No one is investing lottery money into that sinkhole.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
There is so much potential for a simple reboot of EverQuest. It doesn't have to be fancy. Release it zone by zone. Every attempt so far has been such an unnecessarily complex undertaking. Now they've got players helping model shit for their pixel stores. Do the same for the new ones. So much fucking incompetence has been steering the property since its inception.

kudos

<Banned>
I just don't understand why some EQ nerd hasn't built a graphical upgrade version in Unity. They'd rather make bullshit rules emulated servers that die in a week. Idiots.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
You'll get sued if you try to make a buck. If DBG invited people to license EQ for a % of their gains you'd probably see that happen. DBG's Player's Studio isn't far removed from the concept.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From Pardo's little quote it sounds like they want absolutely nothing to do with "big" games like MMOs.