Who will be the next owners of EQ?

kudos

<Banned>
The difference between Starcraft and Diablo is that Diablo has a history of dungeon grinding.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I don't even comprehend how these guys begin working on an MMO from such a terrible place. Lore is just flavor to an MMO. MMOs are all mechanics and gameplay balance, and they massively underdeliver on those elements in favor of a cliche story that doesn't stand up to being repeated 20 billion times in 2 years.
Even just focusing on lore and story, MMOs are objectively doing it wrong nowadays. MMOs now just shove in a single-player story and expect it to somehow result in something great, and it never does. It's never going to be as good as an actual single-player game, and the fact that these stories almost always require taking you out of a multiplayer environment (and into an instance) should be a red flag, but apparently isn't.

I like story and lore, but developers need to learn to make it work within the context of an MMO, rather than making turning the game into a single-player game that happens to have other players running around.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kudos

<Banned>
Even just focusing on lore and story, MMOs are objectively doing it wrong nowadays. MMOs now just shove in a single-player story and expect it to somehow result in something great, and it never does. It's never going to be as good as an actual single-player game, and the fact that these stories almost always require taking you out of a multiplayer environment (and into an instance) should be a red flag, but apparently isn't.

I like story and lore, but developers need to learn to make it work within the context of an MMO, rather than making turning the game into a single-player game that happens to have other players running around.
I think what developers need to do is make the story so huge and grand that you feel like an ant instead of a superhero in the world. That's how original EQ was.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I think what developers need to do is make the story so huge and grand that you feel like an ant instead of a superhero in the world. That's how original EQ was.
I've gone on about this in the past, but what they talked about with EQN's adaptive AI stuff is the closest I've heard any dev come to talking about doing MMO story right in a long time. You don't make *a* story, you make a game world in which shit happens—shit that fits within the lore of the setting—dynamically, in which players can take a hand in how it goes down, and let it have a persistent effect on the game world. You do that, and players will forge their own stories, rather than just experiencing the one the devs made for them.

And yeah, it would allow players to do heroic/villainous stuff, without making them the fucking Chosen One.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I've gone on about this in the past, but what they talked about with EQN's adaptive AI stuff is the closest I've heard any dev come to talking about doing MMO story right in a long time. You don't make *a* story, you make a game world in which shit happens—shit that fits within the lore of the setting—dynamically, in which players can take a hand in how it goes down, and let it have a persistent effect on the game world. You do that, and players will forge their own stories, rather than just experiencing the one the devs made for them.

And yeah, it would allow players to do heroic/villainous stuff, without making them the fucking Chosen One.

A game where the players could have that much impact would immediately turn into 800 assholes running around ruining the experience for everyone else (so yeah, I guess not that much different than EQ). What made EQ unique was that there was lore, but not an actual story/path that one had to follow. The lore was something you could discover on your own, or not at all. It really didn't impact the game that much either way (at least initially). What MMO's NEED to do is stop with the fucking hard factions. I'd kill to simply play a MMO with rare/tradable loot and no hard factions.

• 1Like

Variise

N00b
Only reason I'm here is because I also play EQ...

Anyway Adaptive AI is not something that was unique to EQN. Star Citizen also plans to implement it as part of their Subsumption feature that comes out with 3.0 in the coming months. It just won't be in the first pass that hits with 3.0. According to interviews they gave in Germany they had some R&D issues with it over the past few months which is one of the largest blockers they have right now from launching SQ42 (single player) along with the infiltration feature which is also stuck in R&D. Supposedly they are otherwise content complete and working primarily on bugs/polish.

The only major difference is they did not want players to have a major impact on the galaxy without dev input. It's why player population is planned to be 10% while NPC AI population is the other 90%. That has since come up for debate so it may still happen in some capacity beyond conquering star bases in far away places.

Also SC has no factions you are stuck in. Instead you pick orgs and you can belong to as many as you want so long as they aren't waring NPC factions like Pirates and Advocacy (Police).

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It's physically impossible for you to not shill that game, isn't it?

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Only reason I'm here is because I also play EQ...

Anyway Adaptive AI is not something that was unique to EQN. Star Citizen also plans to implement it as part of their Subsumption feature that comes out with 3.0 in the coming months. It just won't be in the first pass that hits with 3.0. According to interviews they gave in Germany they had some R&D issues with it over the past few months which is one of the largest blockers they have right now from launching SQ42 (single player) along with the infiltration feature which is also stuck in R&D. Supposedly they are otherwise content complete and working primarily on bugs/polish.

The only major difference is they did not want players to have a major impact on the galaxy without dev input. It's why player population is planned to be 10% while NPC AI population is the other 90%. That has since come up for debate so it may still happen in some capacity beyond conquering star bases in far away places.

Also SC has no factions you are stuck in. Instead you pick orgs and you can belong to as many as you want so long as they aren't waring NPC factions like Pirates and Advocacy (Police).

Are you fucking kidding me right now? How about they just try and release THE FUCKING GAME before you start talking about features that will be added in later?

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The problem is they only have developers now and they can't bug/QA the work they do, they also don't have people with enough creative talent to come up with engaging stories and lore.

Variise

N00b
Are you fucking kidding me right now? How about they just try and release THE FUCKING GAME before you start talking about features that will be added in later?

Because those features are necessary for even SQ42 to launch. A high level Subsumption feature, not a first pass, is required to make Adaptive AI work. No Adaptive AI no Squadron 42. The only relatively recent feature added to Squadron 42 is infiltration and that first came up like a year ago so that's been in R&D for almost as long as the German office had AI in R&D. Nobody added anything new to SQ42 recently by any measure.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Can we please keep the No Mans Sky Star Citizen crap in its own thread?

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait, what? I thought someone said EQ was getting a new owner. I don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about. Where did S(h)iddar go and what is the substance of his claim?

You know, if Curt hadn't derailed himself, his company, and the state of Rhode Island... He probably could have bought EQ now for less than the Christmas bonuses he was giving out and he would have immediately started turning a profit.

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
EQ won't make real money until they allow people to run live custom servers and have a front-end database editor to customize.

EQ live server-side code is such shit, even if they wanted to do that, they couldn't.

Eqemu is the only real EQ.

• 1Solidarity

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They could be selling. They are still hiring for their unannounced shooter which looks to be multi platform. I guess that's something they could try to help sell DB on? Not sure what will happen with EQ ip. Prob collect dust

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Diablo is easily the best thing that could happen to the MMO world. Blizzard is fucking stupid for continuing to push these other bullshit games instead of going 110% into a Diablo MMO.

The WoW Legion expansion is basically a combination of Diablo 3 elements and WoW.

It's physically impossible for you to not shill that game, isn't it?

Don't be too hard on him, it's in his contract after all.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I saw truly hardcore dire EQ fanbois quit after that piece of shit expansion, The Broken Mirror, came out. I mean I'm talking about people that I never expected to EVER quit EQ. I think DBG truly shot themselves in the foot with that one.

This coming expansion has got to be something truly special, or honestly TLP is all they will have left keeping them afloat. And, we all know how long TLP servers last.

I actually just cancelled my sub last month. I was in a mid tier guild on Povar and we couldn't keep 35+ online for the 54 person raids after TDS followed by TBM. We were barely scraping by and basically got picked apart by end raid guilds not that I blame them. Their people were obviously leaving too and they need people to fill those slots. I stopped logging in around July and cut ties with it. I honestly don't miss it really at all. A lot of free time.

As for possible changes they could make....

I tried arguing for smaller raids in TDS and TBM beta so mid tier guilds wouldn't disappear. Like make a few lower level raids easier or 5/6 group raids. 30 ish people for a few off tier raids to me doesn't seem unreasonable (and don't give me hate/fear it's ridiculous and beyond stupid.) 54 person raids in this day and age (litarally) of eq is seriously stupid. The anniversary event this yaer was a wakeup call that the EQ devs don't give a shit about anyone really. They made a time limited event for all of EQ and made it so hard only the top few guilds in the game could beat it (no group content for casuals) and they are patting themselves on the back. Creating exclusive content with a game in it's prime..ok yea. Even more people will experience it. Creating exclusive content during the anniversary when a game is bleeding players left and right. They just don't give a fuck, then the nerfs every month for the last several months. Yea I just decided to stop getting kicked in the nuts and having to pay for the privlidge.
/rant off

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Heads up, I went ahead and bought it for a buck fifty. I hope you mother fuckers like Minecraft because I'm dreaming up something big.