Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bolero_foh

shitlord
So many people whined during the beta on all of the boards. I think that is where most of the negativity came from. People don"t understand what alpha/beta is for and just want to play a free video game.

machineman_foh

shitlord
Istros said:
Most VG haters started out as vanbois. Heck I was on the Sigil forums everyday prior to and during early beta. Unfulfilled potential can drive people nuts. Wtf did they do with their time and money for years before like three months to release?!
This is me.

I was a vanboi because I had such high hopes... then, not only to see them dashed but in such a way that made the betas look literally like high school projects, it was embarassing.

It still sucks to this day. Yes it improved alot to the very end of beta, but it is far and away anything that was promised. And just plain not fun. Combat as a rogue? I may as well be standing still rolling dice. It"s THAT bad.

Dashal_foh

shitlord
Because the game lacked direction for a good long time. Or maybe it"s more appropriate to say changed direction, I dont really know.

Bottom line is, the game has "good bones", a solid foundation. This is why you hear so many people saying "Wow it really came a long way quickly" in my opinion.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Guys, I heard Lucas is going to make another trilogy! I can"t wait to see the beginnings of Darth Vader and the Old Republic and how everything happened!

Same exact kind of nerd hate got thrown at Vanguard.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
imo a year ago VG was a shitty game-diplomacy was god awful, and so was crafting

imo 6 months ago VG was a bad game-diplomacy was still bad, and i won"t touch crafting with a 10" pole..

imo 2 months ago VG was an ok/decent game with shitty client performance on older systems....diplomacy was now a card game...and i still won"t touch crafting...

with a few tweaks VG runs decently now...now i could figure out what the @#$%$@ is happening to kill my fps when in the SAME area for over 10 minutes (/flush is your friend)

my main tweaks- so far- select high performance then play with the sliders, Terrain Detail at high performance- is set at about 25%,...

going from 0% to 100% i saw a 2 fps difference..so i have that maxed(makes the world look SO MUCH BETTER), i have grass off, clouds i have off, clip plane is set low- i have not tweaked this, i am shooting for a clip plane setting of about 50,000 (500 meters) to 100,000(1 kilometer) (the game settings are in CENTIMETERS)

averaging about 25fps out of town currently and 18ish in town,....

Flinch_foh

shitlord
Quineloe said:
1. No, in 2004 a hundred k wouldn"t have been "an amazing success"

2. Success doesn"t mean people become rich on it. Certainly not the developers.

You ARE trying to say that there will be serious roleplaying in Vanguard, right? If so: lol
No. I"m not.

What I was saying is that the way people mentally approach VG is different from WoW"s approach.

I can"t find a great way to convey it, but I"ll try a sports analogy.

You know how some people play sports, and only do it to have fun and get some exercise, while there are the types who are competitive and get so "into" the game? Same sort of thing here. The way people immerse themselves into VG is different from WoW"s.

Again, I"m not trying to say that VG is going to have serious RPing..just that it"s a more "serious" and more friendly to the type of person whoenjoysroleplaying...especially when compared to the cartoony, tongue-in-cheek atmosphere that is WoW.

Argh. I still don"t feel I"m conveying what I mean accurately here. =/

Witoubo_foh

shitlord
I always figured it was because Brad promised the world, the second coming and a lot of people were so desperate to recapture EQ they bought it.

What he delivered is well short of the promises. The wonder and majesty of EQ is not returning, Vanguard is just another MMO. A decent MMO but nothing special.

Cue nerd rage.

Turg_foh

shitlord
Witoubo said:
I always figured it was because Brad promised the world, the second coming and a lot of people were so desperate to recapture EQ they bought it.

What he delivered is well short of the promises. The wonder and majesty of EQ is not returning, Vanguard is just another MMO. A decent MMO but nothing special.

Cue nerd rage.
I disagree. The magic is TOTALLY BACK. It"s really unbelievable, I never thought I would recapture that EQ feeling again, but it"s back and bigger than ever - amazing really.

vynde_foh

shitlord
Turg said:
I disagree. The magic is TOTALLY BACK. It"s really unbelievable, I never thought I would recapture that EQ feeling again, but it"s back and bigger than ever - amazing really.
its true. i know that eq wont be coming back, but i did feel that wonder in beta. hell i even felt some fear. the eq world made you feel insignificant, and vg does do that to you

Dis

Confirmed Male
Turg said:
god damn. I thought it had an EQ feel to it, but jesus...

r.gun_foh

shitlord
My thoughts on VG are this;
I would rather play an MMO with tons of potential, and a team that I"ve seen bust their ass off to pull things together, than play a game that plateaued for me, in terms of fun factor, a year ago.

boy-_foh

shitlord
Daerath said:
Simple. People are tired of being fed hype only to have the game they became excited for turn out to be a complete disappointment.
To be clear, I think the issue wasn"t the hype, but it was thehype coming straight from brad. It was quite annoying to see him pop in, create a new thread which says nothing more than (see these new screenshots at website X!), then proceed to dodge/ignore absolutely any and all questions about the actual gameplay.

I mean when he makes a new thread every day for 4 days straight just for screenshots, that"s really a bit excessive. Doubly so when he"s not actually participating in the community any, just hyping his game.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Arbitrary said:
Guys, I heard Lucas is going to make another trilogy! I can"t wait to see the beginnings of Darth Vader and the Old Republic and how everything happened!

Same exact kind of nerd hate got thrown at Vanguard.
But that was warranted. The more I see Episode 1 2 3, the more I get pissed off about the wasted potential. Lucas made those in mind of making some cash off of the SW nerds, instead of just trying to tell a good story. How the fuck else do explain Jar Jar

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
I was a hater after i played in beta back in Nov. I had told myself, there is no fucking way that i will play Vanguard. I couldn"t run it for shit. A few friends of mines were going to play, so i gave in. I said, well i will upgrade a little bit if i need to. I have been playing for about 3 days now and i having a blast. Its so much better then i thought it was going to be. When i log off, i actually wanna stay on. I never had that feeling with WoW. When i logged off, i was like i don"t even wanna log back on.

Anyways, to each their own. People use their money for whatever they want. If they are happy with the product, then thats all that matters.

vynde_foh

shitlord
Dis said:
How the fuck else do explain Jar Jar
racism

kcxiv said:
When i log off, i actually wanna stay on. I never had that feeling with WoW. When i logged off, i was like i don"t even wanna log back on.
i got this too. i felt dirty for playing after logging off

Witoubo_foh

shitlord
Just to help the derail along, the star wars thing is pretty well divided by age. I"m 26, I was a big SW nerd and me and all of my friends hated it. I"ve got a ton of younger cousins who were in 6th grade or so when episode 1 came out. Them and all their friends didn"t really know much about the original trilogy, they loved the prequels.

Although I got them to watch 4, 5 and 6 and admit Empire was the best of all 6.

Edit -

vynde said:
So true, I wonder if Lucas even consciously realized jar jar was pretty much a direct translation of old school super racist blackface comedy.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It"s amazing that 99% of the posters in this thread have completely missed the point. Nice work!

Dis

Confirmed Male
Eomer said:
It"s amazing that 99% of the posters in this thread have completely missed the point. Nice work!
Im just derailing this thread into a starwars prequel discussion

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
May as well. I"m sure the OP will come look at this thread and be like "well fuck, THAT was a waste of time."