Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Greyform_foh

shitlord
Nino said:
So, I am back from the morning meeting(s).

We should be patching tonight/tomorrow early am. There are a slew of good fixes for both code and content.

Many of the issues related to the social server have had some changes made.

There probably is NOT resolution on the elevator crap, but it is super high priority. Unfortunately this is the same guy who works on social server issues and that is more pressing.

Some issues with the exchange broker and sorting look to be resolved; not all of them though.

A myriad of content fixes and additions are going in. Fixed many travel journal entries, misspellings, wrong directions, etc. There should be a decent amount of quest driven content in low teen areas like Veskals" Exchange, Three Rivers, Dailuk, and Forester"s Outpost. Some of this content is still pending as the data pull is generally 24 hours behind.

I presented Nino"s Nasty Nine; my top 9 bugs from here. Then I added one and had to rename it to Todd"s Top Ten. Go figure. So, falling through the world bugs from recalling and porting are on the radar. Elevator bugs are after the social server issues. Invisible NPCS are being investigated. I mentioned sending a little note when you sell something on the AH with what was sold and to who when you receive money. I hinted that we should not be so draconian with the GM policies concerning people falling through the world. I will have a follow up discussion this afternoon. I am also going to ask testing to check every recall/altar point. This may take some time to fully resolve, so please bear with us. Trades borkng your quest counters is a cosmetic issue, and has been forwarded to the proper person to fix.

I"m sure there was other stuff. Hopefully the patch tonight fixes some of the aggravation.
Crafting man is there any word on crafting?

out of town any how won"t be able to play for a couple of days.. Have it fixed by Wednesday please /wink

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
I"m seriously sick of the performance the game shows at times as well. I bought a 8800GTS just to play this game better. I still have to run the game at balanced to run it reasonably well, but Khal I still run like shit inside. I just got to three rivers today and my shit locked up for about 15 seconds, then kept going 5-10 fps until the memory leak ultimatly owned me.

Finally saw a boat today, but it was as it was leaving

I took 3 in three rivers while maintaining 1-5 fps, and it said they were taken but I guess I was lagging to bad to actually capture them.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Many of the review sites I ahve seen say that you need a high end CPU to get the most out fo the high end video card. For Example:

GeForce 8800 Needs The Fastest CPU | Tom"s Hardware

That said, there are a few things we would like to point out. The first is that Nvidia"s cards had better gains from a faster CPU and platform. Part of this can be directly attributed to the driver; Nvidia"s driver is known to utilize more of the CPU, so the more the CPU can deliver, the better the performance.

Along the same vein, ATI had fewer gains, but this is praise for Terry Makedon and the Catalyst driver team. It shows that an ATI card will not be as affected by slower components over different systems. This is true to a point anyway; once the system becomes the bottleneck, it doesn"t matter what you put in the card, as not much will happen.

One thing is for certain: you need bleeding edge horsepower to get the most out of DX0 hardware. If you are in the market for a high end card, you"d do best with an entirely new system.

We upgraded our system to make sure we"d get the most objective results for our graphics reviews. The system might be upgraded once again over the next two quarters, but only time will tell if this will be necessary. For now the choice is clear: Conroe is the best choice for testing.

Author"s Opinion
The long and short of this experiment is that you need a high speed platform to get the most out of the new DX10 hardware. If you were planning on getting a $600 graphics card to replace your 1-year-old graphics card, it would behoove you to rebuild your box. Of course, this means that the whole graphics upgrade will cost you a lot more than just the graphics card.

If you don"t do the job properly, the net effect will be like hooking up a pair of garbage speakers to a Bose or Klipsch sound system. The effect would be the same... less than optimal performance, and an experience that is far from ideal given the money you spent.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks. I have a CPU monitor on my lcd of the keyboard. Vanguard/my card is actually good at using the DC of my CPU and I rarely go over 60% usage, if ever.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
darksensei said:
This isn"t a pressing issue but it is annoying since I"ve had it since beta 2.
When looking around names will flicker depending on where I look. At most given times I see 50% of a name. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
when i upgraded to the newest Nvidia drivers this happened to me, when i reverted back to older drivers it fixed itself. Uninstall your drivers via add/remove programs. download a program (google it) called driver cleaner (it is free) and use it t remove all of the driver and reinstall an older version of nvidia drivers. worked like a charm for me.

Nino_foh

shitlord
Khal has been notoriously bad, as well as Lomshir and Hathor Zhi sometimes. Some of the issues have been resolved with shoring up memory leaks, but there are other issues. Khal is being debugged better today to try and find the source of the performance hit.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nino said:
Khal has been notoriously bad, as well as Lomshir and Hathor Zhi sometimes. Some of the issues have been resolved with shoring up memory leaks, but there are other issues. Khal is being debugged better today to try and find the source of the performance hit.
I knew I wasn"t hallucinating last night when I noticed Khal was noticeably better. I went from 4-5 fps a few days ago to 10-12 fps. I also noticed less stuttering there.

Lyrical said:
I knew I wasn"t hallucinating last night when I noticed Khal was noticeably better. I went from 4-5 fps a few days ago to 10-12 fps. I also noticed less stuttering there.
Debugging code would actually make things run slower, i assume, but the benefit longterm is well worth the short term pain. That is, unless they are already turning results from the process. Seems rather quick though. Ive never developed with an mmo before, but when ive done coding and it becomes time to absor smash the bugs, debugging lines can saturate the fuck out of code, especially if your trying to find something particularily nefarious.

Debugging can be a bitch. It really helps to know and love your code, cause one simple oversight can cause a lot of havoc.

fat12_sl

shitlord
While Vanguard definitely seems to have potential, the abundance of bugs and the shitty performance issues is just SO fucking frustrating.

Ellsworth_foh

shitlord
fat12 said:
While Vanguard definitely seems to have potential, the abundance of bugs and the shitty performance issues is just SO fucking frustrating.
I very much agree with you, but people in beta had been saying that for months prior to release, and have said it many times since release, and I just don"t know if it needs saying anymore.

also. Why do you idiots keep posting pictures that break tables?

link thumbnails please! Jebus save me.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
Man, I"m so jealous of xregg

Last night after the patch, I logged on straight away. I dont know whether it was because of the patch, not many being on the servers or being at the start of the server cycle of memory leaks, but man did VG run smooth. On my 7900gt and x2 4200 VG has never ran that well. It was like I was running on a new computer. FPS wasnt much better, but man was itsmooth.

Dom_foh

shitlord
rinthea said:
Man, I"m so jealous of xregg

Last night after the patch, I logged on straight away. I dont know whether it was because of the patch, not many being on the servers or being at the start of the server cycle of memory leaks, but man did VG run smooth. On my 7900gt and x2 4200 VG has never ran that well. It was like I was running on a new computer. FPS wasnt much better, but man was itsmooth.
I noticed the same thing when I logged on a few hours ago. Fps stayed the same but everything seemed to be smoother. Now, if only the servers would work...

xmod2_foh

shitlord
Jedite said:
3. Do you have the game installed in a separate partition from your page file?

On number 3, I personally am of the belief that the best way to have things if you have say only 1 hard drive is to separate it into 3 partitions, 1 small for OS, 1 2times the size of your ram for the Pagefile, and a 3rd one for all ur instaled programs. thats how i run it from home since I have another HD just for backup stuff hehehe.
Multiple partitions on a single physical drive aren"t going to give you the performance benefits you"re expecting. Your swap file, game files and OS files are on seperate logical volumes, but they"re still fighting for the same physical read/writes.

The only real benefit to having multiple partitions on a single drive (for speed purposes) ismaybethe size of the MFTs if you"re using NTFS.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
/sigh ... Once again I have zoned and ended up dead floating in the sky for no apparent reason whatsoever. This time after my body auto released it put me out over the ocean floating in the clouds unable to move or cast recall.

I petitioned over an hour ago as i am watching system messages roll by saying that they will not help with tombstone or corpse bugs and do not petition them.

I cannot understand this, what is more important to petition than being stuck, unable to move and having an unretrievable corpse. Who cares if some lamer is bashing gays I can ignore him. Who cares is someone is named Frodo it doesn"t affect me. I watch people in my guild get their names changes but yet I can"t get help for unretrievable corpse bugs and death bugs.

I love this game but I just cannot understand the reasoning in this. The bugs are one thing I can deal with them, but again as last time i posted this I CANNOT deal with them without customer support.

I am not petitioning that i couldnt complete some stupid quest or that my face changed when i logged in. I petitioned what i consider the msot severe of any issue a person can petition.

Yes I know there is a /stuck command but I am floating in the sky over an area I am KOS in as a goblin, last time i used /stuck in a place like this i ended up death looping in a noobie area and am now gunshy. On top of that even if i did and got away i would have to use altar as my tombstone is floating in the sky.

I cannot express the disappointment I am feeling about this game right now. I lvoe the game, I want to play, there is nothing else I do want to play. But I am feeling I am being forced away by people who don"t care. Is there a single person at this company who gives a shit besides Nino?

If i do not get help on this issue I am done, this is just sad... I know you read thses posts Sigil. Pull your head out of your ass and tell me if GM;s won;t help with tombstone and death bugs, what are they for? Tell me what do you deem more important?

(been 2 hours so far, and no I do not expect a GM repsonse to my petition or anyone to care)

Bongk said:
I petitioned over an hour ago asi am watching system messages roll by saying that they will not help with tombstone or corpse bugs and do not petition them.
That"s total bullshit. No one can defend this sort of attitude. The worst of Everquest 1"s "customer support" all over again.

The devs will fix issues as quickly as they can, but nothing can be done to magically make it all go away; bugs will be fixed when bugs will be fixed.

The only way Sigil can affect the way this launch is perceived is through CUSTOMER SERVICE and TRANSPARENT COMMUNICATION. And right now the only thing keeping Vanguard alive in these two critical arenas are, ironically, devs (Nino, Avair, Tagad, Talisker, etc).

But their impact is limited because it is localized (they cannot address "the player base" only a few players in a few forums) and they won"t be able to stem the floodgate of complaints for much longer.

Nino_foh

shitlord
I empathize with you greatly and wish there was more I could do. We know we still have some bugs like this that are pissing people off and our response times are unacceptable. To be perfectly honest, I think some of the tools needed by the GMs to resolve certain issues are not functioning properly. I also know people are working as hard as they can to get them the tools to be effective, and way more efficient as rapidly as possible. I abhor crappy customer service, and feel bad that people are having difficulties. I"m not trying to make up a weak excuse, but we are experiencing growing pains and well, this is our first project and rookie mistakes are being made. It won"t be long before these types of issues are behind us, please hang in there and I will endeavor to exert whatever influence I can.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well I"m still trying to log in. Right after I verify all files and click play I crash now. Never happened before, just started today after my most recent crash post-patch