Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Shardokar_foh

shitlord
Well here a question, even if i guess i know some of the answer, does int really count in the game, i mean am bored with having 1 attribute usefull out of 5 depending on class (250 str ranger who pown your ass, without a way to escape him is ridicoulus), lemme me explain, Are fighting opportunity (chains?, and block/intercept/conterspell whatever) based on int? or something like dex/int?
Is diplomacie using kind of charisma and int? quest??, am totally bored of the way they limited RPG in these MMO, c"mon Fallout 2 was the best RPG ive ever played, where ur attribute choice was really maning something.... same for tracking and TON of other thing, how come with your 200int u cant have the mind to clean ur footprint for that 20int tracker cant find you?
that bullshit, and i hoped VG had some good plan about this...u know some of us hoped too much, am not flaming or anything, i heard from you guy it a cool game, i wanted it more RPG axed its all.

ah i forgot, am french, so dont look too much at the grammar/spelling.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
I dont know about rangers, but rogues are fucked up (note to devs, hurry up with our revamp & please go over to the safehouse and visit our rogue forums that you dont seem to acknowledge exists). We have 2 useful attributes, stre and dex. The rest are completely useless. I have a lot of attribute points now and each time I ding a level, I can max that levels stre and dex and have dozens of points left over doing absolutely nothing.

The following is stolen from the safehouse

Adventurers level 15 to level 40 on all US servers:
Bard.........1332
Bloodmage....834
Cleric.......1560
Disciple.....936
Dreadknight..985
Druid........641
Monk.........851
Necro........696
Paladin......751
Psionist.....920
Ranger.......1464
Rogue........557
Shaman.......1492
Sorceror.....1238
Warrior......1100

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
So there are a few more than 15k people that have reached level 15 so far. We were guessing that it was probably 80-100k before....does that make sense now?

Kolle_foh

shitlord
data is probably old by now and there is at bare minimum 35k accounts if each account made 8 characters by now (based on total characters)...which of course isn"t true (because i haven"t) so there"s probably 50k+ accounts at least.

I have no idea how many subs VG will end up getting after a year or two, but I would guess at least a few hundred thousand. It obviously won"t get several million, but it"s not like that particularly matters since you can only play with however many people you share the server with. Rabid WoW fanbois love shouting "8 million subs!", but of course they wouldn"t even be able to hold a conversation with the vast majority of them since they speak a different language.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Gaereth said:
So there are a few more than 15k people that have reached level 15 so far. We were guessing that it was probably 80-100k before....does that make sense now?
It probably helps to look at the actual post.

Vanguard US census - The Safehouse Forums

Info is a week old and there are 160,000 sub-15 level toons.

Edit: And yes Gaereth I"m aware that you too like to stick it to VG when you can and you were probably excited by the thought that numbers were lower than estimated. Sorry mate.

Kolle_foh

shitlord
I don"t think Walmart is even carrying the game yet? None of the local shops had it and neither did Walmart...their in-store stuff listed the release as being feb 15th or something like that.

I had to buy from the sony store and d/l

Xregg...

The game plays well now with those graphics? Thats bordering on gorgeous. I was in beta (like 1 year ago?) and could NEVER get my graphics to look that nice. Heck. Couldn"t even get a Nvidia card to PLAY the damn game. Had to use a 9800 pro! I just gave up.

Your system specs? Assume you"re on a 24" monitor? FPS?

More screens!

I am soooo tempted to try this out now.

xregg_foh

shitlord
its an x6800 core extreme with 4 gigs ram and an 8800gtx my fps is as high as 170 indoors and between 40-80 outside. Yes it has been running smooth

Digits_foh

shitlord
The extra gigs of ram really seem to be the difference between jerky and smooth. I played around the end of beta with 2 gigs of ram and I"d get nice graphics at 30-40 frames, but the jerkiness of it all made it seem significantly lower when combined with the actual dips of 5-10 frames. Post retail I installed it on my computer with 3 gigs, that could barely even run the game a year ago, and I was getting an extremely smooth 22 frames. Even with the drops I would barely notice it as long as I wasn"t in a town or npc focal point. This same system would only get 30ish indoors as well.

Anecdotal, but something to consider if you"re fixing for a performance boost and don"t want to get another 3d card.

Kildace_foh

shitlord
Digits said:
The extra gigs of ram really seem to be the difference between jerky and smooth. I played around the end of beta with 2 gigs of ram and I"d get nice graphics at 30-40 frames, but the jerkiness of it all made it seem significantly lower when combined with the actual dips of 5-10 frames. Post retail I installed it on my computer with 3 gigs, that could barely even run the game a year ago, and I was getting an extremely smooth 22 frames. Even with the drops I would barely notice it as long as I wasn"t in a town or npc focal point. This same system would only get 30ish indoors as well.

Anecdotal, but something to consider if you"re fixing for a performance boost and don"t want to get another 3d card.
Would it be worth it to add just one 1gb dimm or would there be a performance hit? I was always told that you only added ram in pairs.

Jedite_foh

shitlord
xregg said:
its an x6800 core extreme with 4 gigs ram and an 8800gtx my fps is as high as 170 indoors and between 40-80 outside. Yes it has been running smooth
Hmm i was under the impression that Windows XP had a problem allocating Memory above the 3gig Mark.

How have you setup your Hard Drives?

small edit, the problem occurs after the 3gig mark. This applies to Windows XP 32bit

Leviathan_foh

shitlord
Holy mother of god. So THAT is what VG looks like when you play it on a good/fast computer? I"m waiting for the parts for my new gaming PC right now and have been playing the game with all settings at the minimum so far...and while I"m having a blast, I can"t wait to actually play the game on high settings.

My screenshots look like some RPG from 1999 compared to those shiny pieces of art.

X1900XT and I get acceptable FPS at Very High. The problem is that I crash after an hour or so because of what I assume are Memory Leaks. If it did not I would play at the max settings all the time.

The biggest problem is still the lack of AA as is evident below.

darksensei_foh

shitlord
Similar to diablo 2, I think Vanguard suffers from the oldest continent Thestra not really up to par looking with the newer content like Kojan. The non-revamped parts of Thestra don"t have the same polish as Tanvu or Ca"ial Brael do. The only evidence you can see in the pictures above is the trees look very jagged compared to what I"ve encountered. But the difference between the Wood Elf starting area and say the Lesser Giant"s is night and day.