Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
serrathen said:
. . . .

Brad says they had to release because of financial reasons... Just where did the $30 million go again? . . . .
Was pretty much squandered on half-baked, outdated ideas. Have to tip my hat off to Brad for actually talking MS into spending the bucks without even seeing anything substantial first. Of course, after a few years and 30+ million MS finally got wise and cut its losses. Sorry but a company willing to write 30+ million dollars off says A LOT about the product, even to those obtuse folks.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
gremlinz273 said:
Then perhaps it would have been better to say nothing at all. My experience was limited to beta, but puzzles and traps, and hidden bosses, and multi-mob pulls is pretty much par for the course in VG dungeons.
Never did Tsangs though.
I"m just commenting on what I"ve experienced myself. I pointed out that it very well could of gotten better with other dungeons.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Blumpster said:
I don"t understand why everyone is blowing their load over the LOTRO graphics. They are very soft. The lighting and bloom effects do make the game look pretty good, but overall the graphic quality is pretty mediocre. Too much like Asheron"s Call 2.
Probably because it"s an upgraded version of the AC2 engine. I think the point about the LOTRO is that Brad was implying that for decent (and non-WoW-type) graphics in the MMOG genre, people will need to upgrade their PCs to bleeding edge...and even then, they probably won"t be powerful enough (but just come back in three years or so and you"ll be fine).

So someone started posting LOTRO pics as a counterpoint.

Will I buy LOTRO? No. It doesn"t really give anything you can"t find in WoW besides Hobbits. I"m wagering it"ll be a success though.
That was my point which Mikey-boy missed: A solid-but unoriginal, mostly-complete game + graphics that don"t need a Cray to run will get many more subscribers than an partially-incomplete game "with potential" which needs dual-core PCs, top-end graphics cards and 2+ gigs of RAM to get a decent framerate at higher detail levels.

Kaxmax_foh

shitlord
Morderick said:
To conclude, in response to this thread, simply put, all the idiotic nerd hatred is based on misinformation or old beta information.
In a word, bullshit. I bought the game, plenty of the problems people have are completely valid. Performance issues, heavy handed nerfs, CTD"s, experience rollbacks, lack of content at higher levels, ridiculous travel times....all are valid complaints, many of which we told them about in Beta.

The game has potential, but it also has some serious issues that have pissed off a lot of people. If you can"t see that you"re blind.

kohl_foh

shitlord
Morderick said:
See? Once again you don"t read well. I didn"t say this makes VG unique. I said there is content in VG and gave an example. There isn"t much innovation in games of this type at this point, including WoW.
Morderick said:
Tell me... what is so great about WoW"s battle system or DaoC"s or ... ? I think Vanguard"s system stands out just fine compared to them and even moreso that fights don"t take a 5 secs blur. I have had a ton of fed-ex quests in WoW.. most of them were kill 10 mobs, give A to NPC_01.

I like, for example, that quest lines near Trengal Keep make me see various part of the dungeon to complete them. They tie in some lore with some dungeon crawling and make sure I miss nothing of that area.
You started off by saying that you didn"t see what was so great about WoW"s battle system or how the quests were just "kill 10 mobs".
You then launched right into why you like that Vanguard sent you into dungeons to tie in some lore.

Thats really wonderful... I applaud your enjoyable experience. I"d also like to point out that it sounds silly to poo-poo WoW"s "breadcrumb" quest system, and then talk about how VG does the exact same thing. WoW actually does a very good job, IF you bother to do the quests and follow the lore, of sending you out to see the world.

Gieve_foh

shitlord
On a slight tangent, anyone know why tad was banned? I hope it was for more than just being a vanboi .... I"m not sure I like the thought of biased mods.

-Gieve

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
woqqqa said:
So what kind of game would you like to see? Sci-fi, fantasy? PvP based, RP based, sandbox?
WoW"s gameplay and design philosophy merged with Everquest"s world and style. VG style dungeons, but also instanced raids and WoW style instances featuring the awesome scripting that WoW spoiled us all with but slower progression and a wider range of available content throughout. EQ2 style encounter locking so that outdoor bosses are still possible. Power based progression over task based. The ability to tweak abilities for PVP completely independent of PVE. No fucking talent system that restricts classes into a singular role - to specialize should be as simple as changing out gear. Fairly small number of classes to simplify balance and to make each players role very clear.

Oddly, EQ2 would be the closest if it didn"t have the genres absolute worst combat system, ball-twisting painful long quest chains featuring masochistic insanity like game wide easter egg hunts and timed switch flipping, and of course the vomit-inducing overuse of closet sized instances.

A game built for having a lot of players standing around fighting, BECAUSE THAT"S WHAT FUCKING HAPPENS IN MMOS YOU GODDAMN RETARDS. (That"s you, EQ2 and Vanguard. Seriously.)

It"s like every game out there has a little piece of what it takes to approach perfection, and nobody has put it together. They all have had a little something that I liked very much, but most have lacked huge in other areas.

Morderick_foh

shitlord
Gieve said:
On a slight tangent, anyone know why tad was banned? I hope it was for more than just being a vanboi .... I"m not sure I like the thought of biased mods.
In the words of CAMEROUS:

You should know better than that Tad. As long as they are chugging the blizz cock nothing will happen to them... haven"t you caught on to that yet?

Yup, 2bit & co are still here posting shit in VG threads! w00t!

The Bog_sl

shitlord
Morderick said:
In the words of CAMEROUS:

You should know better than that Tad. As long as they are chugging the blizz cock nothing will happen to them... haven"t you caught on to that yet?

Yup, 2bit & co are still here posting shit in VG threads! w00t!
I hope you"re not insinuating that we can"t insult Vanguard in this thread! I keep out of threads about the game for the most part, but this is truly a thread for shit-talking.

Morderick_foh

shitlord
Kaxmax said:
In a word, bullshit. I bought the game, plenty of the problems people have are completely valid. Performance issues, heavy handed nerfs, CTD"s, experience rollbacks, lack of content at higher levels, ridiculous travel times....all are valid complaints, many of which we told them about in Beta.

The game has potential, but it also has some serious issues that have pissed off a lot of people. If you can"t see that you"re blind.
CTDs are being fixed, on release day they were severe (the game was released at least 3 months too early). Experience rollbacks are fixed, unless they were intentional rollbacks because people exploited bugs. Lack of content at higher levels isn"t as much as an impact because it should take the average gamer longer to get there - unless you grind out levels 40+ hours a week.

Travel times? Not too bad with a mount and they might add in teleportation spells (some already exist, though they"re dungeon centric - Offensive casters get evacs while Healers get Call of the Hero type spells early - level 18).

The zones are well designed with progression. I don"t need to travel back and forth 5 hours each time I play.. what are you doing exactly that requires so much travelling each time?

Current gripes are about class balance, they"re all different and fun, some still need tweaking. Item Decay. It sucks. But they"re adjusting that too.

This game is less than 2 months into (yes, rushed release) release. We could easily make a list of stuff that weren"t working well on release in EQ1, EQ2, WoW, etc.

I"m just appaled, as I was in beta before I posted, that every single bloody VG thread is filled with VG-haters that think they know all the game and think that because they didn"t like it or have trouble running it that it"s a shitty game and everyone else"s remarks or opinion or attempt at discussing the game should be met with shitty and endless posts.

It"s evident that this place is a one-minded fortress for WoW.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
All you"re doing is making excuses. But as long as you feel you"re getting your money"s worth. Shrug.

And travel times were horrendous.

Nairbog_foh

shitlord
One thing I"ve noticed in this thread is that the anti-VG people tend to respond to the weaker arguments, and ignore the solid ones. (I, of course, am a solid poster) Maybe I need to make my posts more inflammatory. I wanna brawl, vanboi style. Faggots.

Kaxmax_foh

shitlord
Morderick said:
CTDs are being fixed, on release day they were severe (the game was released at least 3 months too early). Experience rollbacks are fixed, unless they were intentional rollbacks because people exploited bugs. Lack of content at higher levels isn"t as much as an impact because it should take the average gamer longer to get there - unless you grind out levels 40+ hours a week.

Travel times? Not too bad with a mount and they might add in teleportation spells (some already exist, though they"re dungeon centric - Offensive casters get evacs while Healers get Call of the Hero type spells early - level 18).

The zones are well designed with progression. I don"t need to travel back and forth 5 hours each time I play.. what are you doing exactly that requires so much travelling each time?

Current gripes are about class balance, they"re all different and fun, some still need tweaking. Item Decay. It sucks. But they"re adjusting that too.

This game is less than 2 months into (yes, rushed release) release. We could easily make a list of stuff that weren"t working well on release in EQ1, EQ2, WoW, etc.

I"m just appaled, as I was in beta before I posted, that every single bloody VG thread is filled with VG-haters that think they know all the game and think that because they didn"t like it or have trouble running it that it"s a shitty game and everyone else"s remarks or opinion or attempt at discussing the game should be met with shitty and endless posts.

It"s evident that this place is a one-minded fortress for WoW.
Your entire post amounts to "it"s being fixed/adjusted." That"s super, but surely you can see why people have some angst over said issues, now that they"re paying customers.