Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Jait

Molten Core Raider
rinthea said:
You guys know that reviewers of books in themajor newspapersget sent "summaries" by the publishers and dont actually read the books? I"d imagine things wouldnt be much different gaming..
No. Not really. Maybe for the Tijuana Times.

*Very* rarely condensed versions are used (ala Readers Digest). And it must be noted in the review at least with reputable publications. But it"s nothing at all like a summary. It"s typically anywhere from 66-75% of the books original length. And again, it"s ultra-rare. No reviewer worth his or her salt will bother to review an incomplete work.

Please tell me more though. I find it to be a fascinating diversion from my day to day work.

The Bog_sl

shitlord
rinthea said:
You guys know that reviewers of books in the major newspapers get sent "summaries" by the publishers and dont actually read the books? I"d imagine things wouldnt be much different gaming..
HA! I wish.
Okay, I review games for a major publication, and I"ll take you through the process:
1) I receive an email saying "Do you want to do this?" - I respond saying yes I do, or in the event that I can"t do it due to various situations (IE: Not enough time to reasonably invest into a review).
2) I get a commission with length, amount, specifications and a little blurb.
3) I get mailed the game and play it - very rarely will I get an active demonstration of the content of the game. In fact, this has happened twice. Most of the time it"s a case of being made to play it like any joe-schmoe.
4) I play it solidly for the entire period of having it. Even if the game is like eating pins or being raped. Even if the game is so mind-numbingly boring, I"ll keep playing. Even if the game is taking a minute betweensteps, I"ll keep playing.

This is how it"s always been. It"s how it was with Vanguard, that"s for sure.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What amazes me is that this thread I started is now the 11th most viewed thread in Foh message board history. This thread has become what the government is trying to do in Iraq by gathering all the terrorists on that battleground to contain the fight there. If Brad could find a way to send a massive amount of volts through selected keyboards, he could wipe out virtually all negative word of mouth about VG in one fell swoop.

The funny thing is that anything of substance was said under page 40 or so.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Lyrical said:
What amazes me is that this thread I started is now the 11 most viewed thread in Foh message board history. This thread has become what the government is trying to do in Iraq by gathering all the terrorists on that battleground to contain the fight there. If Brad could find a way to send a massive amount of volts through selected keyboards, he could wipe out virtually all negative word of mouth about VG in one fell swoop.

Because VG is horrible, and no one knew it was going to be released early. And 3 year old computers cant run it worth a fuck (even though mine can somehow) and the best and final reason WOW 4life bitches!

/sarcasm off.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
kcxiv said:
Because VG is horrible, and no one knew it was going to be released early. And 3 year old computers cant run it worth a fuck (even though mine can somehow) and the best and final reason WOW 4life bitches!

/sarcasm off.
Why do you even post...seriously, what the fuck? If you like the game so much, go play it and leave us to bitch in peace. What the hell is this, the VG official forums (...oh, wait) that you feel the need to spout all this crap in defense of what is, truth be told, a crappy game designed by a hack who made his fortune on arguably the most boring game in recent history (I"m gonna go camp some boss for a few weeks, what fun!). Go away.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Lyrical said:
What amazes me is that this thread I started is now the 11th most viewed thread in Foh message board history. This thread has become what the government is trying to do in Iraq by gathering all the terrorists on that battleground to contain the fight there. If Brad could find a way to send a massive amount of volts through selected keyboards, he could wipe out virtually all negative word of mouth about VG in one fell swoop.

You should be fucking thankful that the people being negative have for the most part chosen this one thread (which was pretty much designed for this purpose from the beginning) instead of "fagging up" (as you would no doubt call it) all the other threads. Maybe next time you pull the Sigil cock out of your mouth to take a breath, you"ll also take a moment to reflect on what an unintended boon you have provided for the legions and legions (I mean there are tons of you right?) of Vanguard fans who want to come read the patch notes and whatever else the fuck you would post about.

Slick Willey_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
And on the topic of reviewers, most of them don"t just play for 30 minutes from level 1. They can be given the game for weeks, with preloaded characters or tools that let them experience things from multiple angles. Just watch the G4 review and tell me all they do is kill bats at level 1. No, they don"t even do that at all.. in fact I was surprised they didn"t make a joke about it.
Many of the gaming mags/web sites I read actually delay MMO reviews just to make sure they have had enough time to play the game to give an honest review.

For example, in the Game Informer review of TBC, the reviewer noted he had reached level 70, had done the 5- and 10-man content, and was raiding. That"s a fairly sufficient amount of time in a MMO to review it in my mind. For what its worth, Game Informer gave TBC a 9.75 and gave Vanguard a 7.5. The Vanguard review is spot on what I thought it would get from most reviewers when I was in VG beta.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Lyrical said:
What amazes me is that this thread I started is now the 11th most viewed thread in Foh message board history.
5 out of the 11 are VG threads. I"ll admit I have more fun reading these threads while I"m at work than I ever had playing the game.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
Why do you even post...seriously, what the fuck? If you like the game so much, go play it and leave us to bitch in peace. What the hell is this, the VG official forums (...oh, wait) that you feel the need to spout all this crap in defense of what is, truth be told, a crappy game designed by a hack who made his fortune on arguably the most boring game in recent history (I"m gonna go camp some boss for a few weeks, what fun!). Go away.
Its human nature man. People LOVE controversy. And in the MMO circle, Vanguard is right smack in the middle of it. In all due honesty, I really hope Sigil finds some way of turning this fiasco around. Otherwise, Vanguard remains on the already far too bloated third rate title pile.

Its just hard to imagine that happening with the plethora of problems the game is faced with. The biggest of all being, accessibility to the average gamer in the current gamespace. This game, in theory, had massive potential to move the genre forward into the next generation. But with reviews like the one G4 did, telling huge numbers of existing and potential mmog gamers that the game runs like shit on average hardware, and is mediocre at best, doesn"t bode well.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Its human nature man. People LOVE controversy. And in the MMO circle, Vanguard is right smack in the middle of it. In all due honesty, I really hope Sigil finds some way of turning this fiasco around. Otherwise, Vanguard remains on the already far too bloated third rate title pile.

Its just hard to imagine that happening with the plethora of problems the game is faced with. The biggest of all being, accessibility to the average gamer in the current gamespace. This game, in theory, had massive potential to move the genre forward into the next generation. But with reviews like the one G4 did, telling huge numbers of existing and potential mmog gamers that the game runs like shit on average hardware, and is mediocre at best, doesn"t bode well.
If they do, I"ll be amazed. Simply, the game has so much that needs fixing, that even if they do get most of it ironed out (and since EQ2 pulled it off, it"s not impossible), they won"t do so before the next big wave of MMOs is due to hit later this year. And frankly, most of those look really good...so if Sigil wants to hold on to customers or grow its base, they"re gonna have to pull one hell of a rabbit out of a hat.

xmod2_foh

shitlord
Lyrical said:

I think the best part is that all of the "nerd rage" is coming from the people vehemently defending VG and over-reacting whenever someone says anything negative.

Seems most of the "anti-VG" crowd is pretty chill and just lol"ing at the game.

So yeah, why all the nerd rage defending Vanguard? Reeks of insecurity to me.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
woqqqa said:
SO, why do you post on the SV forums? same difference. Yes, you do post on the SV forums a forum dedicated to the game of Vanguard.

So this site is for only bitching about a game you dont like and no one else can defend it?hmm..

btw, Kobe went for 60 tonight. Wuwu

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Soygen said:
5 out of the 11 are VG threads. I"ll admit I have more fun reading these threads while I"m at work than I ever had playing the game.
I have to agree with this, but I"ll say that with the caveat that I think I"m just done with the MMORPG genre as a whole and even if Vanguard had been the best MMO ever, I probably still would have quit eventually.

But seriously, this made me laugh my ass off:

xmod2 said:
Seems most of the "anti-VG" crowd is pretty chill and just lol"ing at the game.
Have you, like, actually read the thread? At all? There"s plenty of spraying spittle on both sides. Don"t sprain something patting yourself on the back about how "chill" you are, though!

Filthgrinder_foh

shitlord
SV is the biggest pile of nut swinging drama queens I"ve ever seen. My blood pressure actually goes up when I occasionaly drop by and just look at the topics.

This place is hookers with teeth, that place is a fleshlight.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
kcxiv said:
SO, why do you post on the SV forums? same difference. Yes, you do post on the SV forums a forum dedicated to the game of Vanguard.

So this site is for only bitching about a game you dont like and no one else can defend it?hmm..

btw, Kobe went for 60 tonight.Wuwu
Wow, against who?

And I"ve recently been posting on SV because the hardware discussions are interesting and I like the OOC forums. Before that, I was hoping for Vanguard to shape up into a playable state. But I was kidding myself...the game"s not gonna be what I consider playable til fall at least, so I went out and bought the City of Heroes combo pack instead.

Geaux_foh

shitlord
this train wreck and the EVE thread are like anna nicole and the iraq war. basically, i understand why the big boobed one got 24 hour tv coverage now.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Nairbog said:
One thing I"ve noticed in this thread is that the anti-VG people tend to respond to the weaker arguments, and ignore the solid ones. (I, of course, am a solid poster) Maybe I need to make my posts more inflammatory. I wanna brawl, vanboi style. Faggots.
What solid arguments? This whole topic is subjective. Make whatever argument you want, it is all about the subs in the end. If few people want to play the game that is it, case closed. Doesn"t mean that those who are playing aren"t enjoying it. Ultimately to each his own. Bottom line is this game is nothing more than a niche game. Was predicted to be as such on this forum for ages. It turned out to be exactly that. Huge, inexcusable mistakes were made. Whether they can be overcome is doubtful. But hey keep "arguing", it just won"t change the numbers in the long run.

Slick Willey_foh

shitlord
Soygen said:
/raise hand. I have more fun reading these VG threads than I ever had playing VG too. That"s pretty damm sad if you think about it . . . .