Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Utnayan said:
Like our fanboy poster child Camerous. Who has single handedly helped moderate the VN boards back to 1939 Germany.
WTF are you talking about you stupid fuck? I don"t even POST on the damn VN boards muchless moderate them. Now I know for 100% you are a stupid lying rertard.

holymight_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
Care to explain to me why you only "fix" people"s posts when they say something positive? Why is it only important that its an opinion when somebody says something good? I early await your answer.

Blumpster_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
When did it become a requirement to put "in my opinion" in front of every thing you say? He fucking typed it, it came from his brain, of course it"s his opinion. In my opinion, go fuck yourself. It loses something, don"t you think? He"s calling something fun and that inherently brings with it a matter of opinion. Go back to fingering your asshole.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Dinthug said:
Because if they were admitting content was not finished every time it was put in game, people would still be bitching and moaning and they would have admitted fault. Better off to just say it was intended that way and fix what needs to be fixed and if they don"t have time for it, hey it was intended.
Yeah thats smart business. All that does is encourage crappy CS and alienate customers. I remember threads on the old ranger forum board trying to figure out that zone. People in essence wasting tons of hours trying to figure out something that just wasn"t finished. Were the devs just laughing their asses off? Here"s an interesting idea, how about just being friggin honest with your customer base and not play them for guinea pigs, because once they find out they have been played for fools you just can"t recover from the lost good will. Man I hope you aren"t in any service industry.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
holymight said:
Care to explain to me why you only "fix" people"s posts when they say something positive? Why is it only important that its an opinion when somebody says something good? I early await your answer.
When the shoe is on the other foot, exactly the same can be said. Par for the course, ya know? Its nothing personal man.

woqqqa said:
37 or whenever Ut threatens to fly to San Diego to beat some sense into Brad.

/crosses fingers
My bets are on at least 50 more. The trip to San Diego does have its potentials either way

rinthea_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Quote:
I won"t hide from the fact that the 35+ game is light on content, but it is coming as quickly as we can pump it out. I am trying to avoid shitting out the content incomplete or buggy, so bear with me. The 35+ areas complete or due very soon are:
Thestra
Vol Tuniel
Thelaseen - Lair of the Drake Riders
Dargun"s Tomb
Old Targonor - needs tweaks
Greystone - soon
Beranid Downs - in progress, soon
Southwatch - in testing now, coming next week
Gorgoluk - huge Sebilis style dungeon in the deadland swamps; next on schedule for the team finishing Southwatch
Ancient Port Warehouse - Art is almost complete and getting patched in next Wed; content is a few weeks away.
Basically the terrain and content on western thestra is getting a huge facelift
you need a better inside man, this is old

Rayne_foh

shitlord
rinthea said:
you need a better inside man, this is old
I don"t know for certain, but I think a lot of those things just recently went in (within the last week or 2?). Someone correct me if i"m wrong. If thats so, and he got that info much earler on (which he seems to be eluding to), then I could see why hes placing such emphasis on it.

Gellor_foh

shitlord
Well Dargun"s has been in beta for sometime, but ya it wasn"t completed. It was just recently redone to fit better with the new changes VG underwent late in beta. I haven"t played through it since beta so I don"t know how it turned out yet, but I have heard it is very well done now. Much better than the beta version

holymight_foh

shitlord
Gellor said:
Well Dargun"s has been in beta for sometime, but ya it wasn"t completed. It was just recently redone to fit better with the new changes VG underwent late in beta. I haven"t played through it since beta so I don"t know how it turned out yet, but I have heard it is very well done now. Much better than the beta version
When exactly was it "redone"? Sure wasn"t in the last 6 weeks.

Not to try to get back on topic, but...

My interpretation of the nerd rage against Vanguard:

High expectations due to the involvement of Brad and Jeff/Low expectations due to the involvement of Brad and Jeff... lol.

Everyone"s individual interpretation of "the Vision"s" implementation and it"s level of success or failure according to their subjective tastes;

The many promises of depth and completeness of design and content before going to launch;

Moderate to major changes in mechanics/implementation during the last phases of beta and ongoing currently;

The amount of bugs, incomplete content and (in my opinion) incomplete design elements present at launch.

I"ll be honest. I enjoy Vanguard, though I"m also not ignorant of the problems that exist in the game - some I have been spared from, some I have suffered from (FYI - I"m a rogue). I enjoy the game in its current form and look forward to what the game can be both in the short- and long-term future.

My two personal nerd rages have to do with:

lore- at least in a sense of basic completeness for those who prefer not to use diplomacy and to give people"s characters a sense of orientation and place in the world;

adventuring experience- what the heck happened to having a large world to explore and various places to adventure for your level if you out level them after the first dungeon? Like I mentioned in my last post, these types of changes will come back to bite the devs since it eliminates the need for player cities, longer stays in particular regions due to content level, and makes frequent and moderate- to long-range travel more necessary and hence more frustrating. Some of us are still going to commit hari-kiri to stay in our level range to explore the content for our level if we prefer not to have two or more alts. Also, it puts those of us who practice diplomacy and crafting further and further behind if we care to adventure. You cannot heavily "tweak" one element of the game and not expect it to have serious repercussions throughout the rest of the system.

Subjectively I believe this is a concession to the adventuring-only/grinding/"casual" player who wishes to have maximum return in terms of achievement (in a game that is supposed to present a challenge) for minimal effort. To me it comes off as a rather blatant attempt to pull in more casual players to up the subscriptions, which it could be. What happened to "content is king"? Apparently, somebody abdicated their throne for the moment.

I can"t find the quote, but one of the devs admitted that Vanguard was adjusting and adapting to fit the changing MMO landscape (if someone can find the quote, please post it). I can appreciate efforts to broaden and deepen the game, but certain fundamental changes, especially the multiple increases in adventuring experience, seem to be watering it down, tipping the boat in the direction of "grind fest to endgame", trivializing other elements and spheres of the game.

Nino_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Grand Standing.
Since I wrote that snippet, allow me to respond.

That partial list, does not show, "What"s missing from Vanguard". I was asked privately to identify where a higher level player, could adventure so I rattled off, as best I could, the areas that were currently AVAILABLE, or COMING in the near future. That message was written on Feb 25, one month from today.

I will update the list, which is not by any means comprehensive:

Thestra
Vol Tuniel -Open at Launch
Thelaseen - Lair of the Drake Riders -Open at Launch
Dargun"s Tomb -Open at Launch
Old Targonor - needs tweaks -Open at Launch, tweaks completed on 2/27
Greystone - soon -Open as of mid March - and yes it is GREYSTONE with an "E"
Beranid Downs - in progress, soon -The final parts get completed by this Friday and pushed the following week
Southwatch - in testing now, coming next week -Open since early March
Gorgoluk - huge Sebilis style dungeon in the deadland swamps; next on schedule for the team finishing SouthwatchWrapping up now, will be completed by this Friday and pushed the following week
Ancient Port Warehouse - Art is almost complete and getting patched in next Wed; content is a few weeks away.This MAY get postponed. It is level 50+; maybe mid April
Basically the terrain and content on western thestra is getting a huge facelift -Done and in since early March

Qalia
Xennumet - top left corner of Qalia is almost done; massive underwater and dungeon realm. -Done and in since mid March
Citadel of the Vanquished - in progress along with the arena that ties content in from all over the world; due in a week or so. -The arena has been in since early March, the Citadel is complete and opens next week
Petra - in progress; stone spires and caves on western qalia, inland a bit, goes live next wed. -Open since early March
Ruined Mordebi Empire - the huge egyptian section on western qalia is next for the team finishing Petra; should be a few weeks though, but has one of the coolest dungeons we have in the Nusibe Necropolis.Open since mid March
City of Brass - I ran through this place on Friday and it should be going live in the next week or so. EQ style outdoor adventure area with Djinn, and Sand Giants; there is also an alternate universe section but not sure if this is opening at the same time.This is called Rahz Inkur, and has been open since early March; the "alternate" part has been locked.

Again, this was to answer the question, "Where can I go post lvl 35?" There have been, and there are now, plenty of areas, with even more coming. I am sorry that not everything on this list is complete. However, there is nothing stopping anyone from playing the game and having many different places to go.

Now, threatening to post someone"s private message is pathetic enough, but promising not to do so, lie about it, and then do it anyway paints a sad picture. The person I sent that to plays the game and has been active in identifying issues and letting me know. So, I let him know in confidence what was "likely" coming down the pipe and when. It certainly wasn"t meant for public viewing and was not intended to outline a schedule that we were absolutely going to adhere to.

And yes, mid April. It has been said on numerous occasions by numerous people that we launched early. This isn"t some amazing new revelation. There is no secret agenda.

What should really trouble some people, is the fact that I have done more than anyone to try and be as upfront as possible. I"ve "fought the system" to the point where I"ve had my job threatened on more than one occasion. But that is hardly the point right? It isn"t about formulating change, it is ONLY about defaming, insulting, and grandstanding. This becomes more and more transparent.

I know people would love to emulate Furor, but they all lack the most BASIC element of what made his "rants" pertinent. Furor PLAYED the game and sought improvement. His goal, in the end, was to make the game better, the company stronger, and by proxy advance the genre. Today"s pathetic proteges exist only to tear down, admonish, and insult. That is not the legacy of this board. Today"s dissenters are a shallow reflection of what this board used to be.

I"ve been strongly encouraged to stop posting here and will likely get lectured or have disciplinary action taken against me on Monday for this. Does this mean you win? Congratulations.

Requiem_foh

shitlord
I know people would love to emulate Furor, but they all lack the most BASIC element of what made his "rants" pertinent. Furor PLAYED the game and sought improvement. His goal, in the end, was to make the game better, the company stronger, and by proxy advance the genre. Today"s pathetic proteges exist only to tear down, admonish, and insult. That is not the legacy of this board.
Q F T.

If all of you tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists don"t like what I did here, there"s the fucking door. I"m doing this out of common decency and I"m not interested in hearing about how you think I"m in bed with Sigil because of it.

This thread was destined for the hall of shame from the start anyway.