Why did Rift fail?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
You would quit a game because the Auction House was a copy of another game? That seems retarded.
I believe he is implying that if he wanted to play a copy/paste of WoW, the original is better :p

I laughed at the rabbit killing / flower collecting bit, so true. That pre-game 'future' event was god-awful, it removed my interest in alts.

Another thing Rift did is common in the industry today. They released the game then had 0 live GM support. You'd think they could afford one for all the servers, but nope. Leveling by PvP we'd see the same asshat afking for literally months. Hundreds of reports, and nada. Maybe I'm odd, but I can't motivate myself to level / PvP when people get away with that.

To their credit, they later had pretty good GM support. Until I came back to try the expansion. How hard is it to playtest your own game, at least to the point that the required STORY quest hubs aren't broken? Nothing like halting progression while waiting A WEEK for a GM to advance the quest ;\

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If you're complaining about the quest content and treadmill aspect, you have a very valid point. But he just mentioned the auction house.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, their gm support was bad. It was so bad that they tried to automate it -- and I remember a korean guy in the guild I was in got banned for having too much gold. He wasn't farming, he wasn't exploiting the AH... he just had a pile of cash cause he never bought anything.

I remember him getting on vent and saying, "This is actually a little bit racially offensive".

The WORST part is is that it was automated and they had no oversight. They probably could have kept his sub if they'd responded to him within the day. But it took 2 days for him to even get back a form response and by that point he was done.

Fuya_sl

shitlord
I'm still waiting for them to fix the land mounts from not taking a 20 foot leap to go over a one inch step. No wonder this game doesn't have flying mounts. They can't even get land mounts to work right.

Speaking of which. I found it faster to port to a planar ability porticulum and then take it to which ever zone you want than trying to run up the steps to the port in tempest bay when you are done with the crafting area. I receive the loading screen about three times before I reach the damn port which I then have to run back around to because the fucking mount decided to swan dive over the one inch port step and off the ledge at the back.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
To me the launch while mostly stable had plenty of issues that caused people to quickly log out and not return. Dropping the ball with the login info being transmitted in plain text. Rift xp being nerfed and most people not understanding the participation system. Invasions were annoying until they added their bolstering system. Having questing being the main lvling with retarded respawn timers, low mob density, and no dynamic instancing.

Then you ran into lack of content besides boring grinds. It only took around 72 hours of play time to hit level 50. Initially it would only take also around 2-3 days of doing experts to gear up, until they changed the rates you received currency for gear. Rifts and invasions only needed to be grinded to max your factions that were locked at a low teir then became pointless.

The class system was a good idea but not ready for launch. Warrior and mage dominated pvp and dps. Rogues had one good spec to start with that was quickly nerfed(sab). I feel they made a huge mistake going with 51 points in a single soul. Soon after launch hybrid builds were quickly out numbered by pure builds for best min/max. Oh and daily patches tree's and skills without proper documentation in the patch notes as well as no free resets at first was very annoying.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
In retro, I actually liked Rift during their last few betas. It was extremely intense with all the invasions but once it launched, the game started to suck and then I thought it was because maybe I had gotten burned out on mmos. I later realized I hadn't burned out; Rift was just actually not as good in a longterm situation, it was more like mmo junk food.. but the same junk food that was served by the McDonald's of the genre already, and as Jon Stewart says: "Fuck Arby's".

Their support was as people said early on.. pretty lacking but until I had a serious issue regarding an overcharge I didn't have a real reason to complain. They later fixed it but poo-poo'ed it and by the time they did I was done with the game.

To make sure they never sent me a'Come back to Telera!'bullshit letter like these companies always do when you quit, I intentionally insulted some manboy community advocate named 'therealseebs' over and over, until the GMs there banned me from the forums. I figured if you got /blisted then you'd never hear from them again.

Thank God because after seeing what they squeezed out of their collective crackhole since then (Defiance, Trove, End of Nations, etc), it's been well worth the silence.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
You would quit a game because the Auction House was a copy of another game? That seems retarded.
Yup. You can't tell me that everything that led up to you being able to get to that capital city (the newbie area, the newbie quests, the intro to crafting / pvp etc ) and then you finally get to check the auction house to see what people are posting on it and BAM instantly you're back in Orgrimmar.

No, "Geez." moments? You saw it and were ok with it? You were like, "Yea, I'm fine with this. Lets sink some time into this...it'll probably turn out okay."

I guess I'm the retarded one.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well if you posted that originally I wouldn't of replied. But you said you quit because they copied the Auction House. Whatevs.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The part of character creation where you choose your name. I was like WTF I've seen this shit before. Uninstalled and haven't looked back

Silence_sl

shitlord
The world was boring. The new gameplay ideas were boring. It was boring.
Also, it was boring.

It also featured The Hartsman Grind?, whereupon everything in the game had to be a slow, neuron-numbing pain in the ass. Travel, in particular, was a soul crushing affair designed solely to make people quit before the trial period was over.

Not to mention, the game was boring.

iannis

Musty Nester
I liked running around on my pony and you have multiple teleport stations in every zone in the game. Travel was about as easy as it gets without being a lobby/hub style game. I thought the zone maps themselves were one of the better features of the game. Except for that burning dreadlands area, lantern hook. That map was just dull. and boring. Dull and boring.

I did quit before the xpac -- so maybe they changed that in Storm Legion.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Rift never even had my attention for longer than an hour. The issue was that everything about the game was bland and stale from the word go. Nothing about the combat, graphics, environment or story was enough to pull me in and make me spend more time on the game. Best way to describe it is that the game didn't seem to have a soul. Not nearly entertaining enough to invest time into.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Travel was boring? I had a mount at level 1.
This is kind of impossible unless you were hacking.

At launch, you were in the tutorial area at Level 1. In that zone before you warped through the first 'rift', there weren't any mailboxes and that was the only way to collect your soon-to-be copypasta reskinned turtle. I remember this because I remember a lot of blanket running through that zone as a Defiant and wondering how do I claim my CE reward.
It wasn't until you got into that next area that you found a mailbox at which point you were around level 8 or something.
Unless they changed something after three months (when my sub ran out), you couldn't get a mount that early on.

iannis

Musty Nester
Technically you had a mount in the intro zone as well. So in this internet slapfight, the point still goes to Dwagguns.