Why hide the screenshots and rickshaw forums?

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
As a professional lurker this makes me sad. Now I'm being dragged out into the light if I want to want to watch the car wrecks.
frown.png

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I agree. The Screenshots generates a LOT of traffic for this forum. Forcing people to go look for it will hurt, not help. Also, the images should be viewable when you're not logged in. As I lurked for a long time at FOH without a membership, and that's what brought me here, I can say, with 100% certainty, that if these same things had been true there, I would never have gone back to look, and I certainly wouldn't be here now.

$0.02

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
SS/RR viewable without a posting account = no ad revenue. The bandwidth is a secondary reason.

There's also some (naive) hope that some lurkers will lose their posting virginity and become posting members of the forum. I've got nothing against the faceless masses of lurkers but let's face it, we all come here primarily to consume content and be a part of that content. Those who don't post or donate add absolutely no value to the community (Again, I don't really mind that, because I lurk on tons of community websites), so I don't mind if I have to disturb them in order to keep the site profitable..

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
My point still stands that after a few weeks the people who would have gotten linked to SS will now not get linked - leading to lower traffic over time.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
SS/RR viewable without a posting account = no ad revenue. The bandwidth is a secondary reason.

There's also some (naive) hope that some lurkers will lose their posting virginity and become posting members of the forum. I've got nothing against the faceless masses of lurkers but let's face it, we all come here primarily to consume content and be a part of that content. Those who don't post or donate add absolutely no value to the community (Again, I don't really mind that, because I lurk on tons of community websites), so I don't mind if I have to disturb them in order to keep the site profitable..
Yeah, I get that. I don't have to like it, though, do I?

wink.png

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Btw, you should just fucking ban these idiots who post 1-5 in the discussion threads. If they are too retarded to figure out where to post we don't want them anyways, why let them use our bandwidth?

LiquidSmell_sl

shitlord
So how is the forum going to grow if new members cannot even see the content until they make 5 posts? At least have a preview page or something so people can be like "oh wait, this is actually worth it".

Blide_sl

shitlord
I've seen some message boards have it so you can't see links or images until you reach a certain number of posts. That seems like it could be a decent middle ground.

Either way, I think it's a worth while experiment. They can always switch it back if traffic just tanks.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've seen some message boards have it so you can't see links or images until you reach a certain number of posts. That seems like it could be a decent middle ground.

Either way, I think it's a worth while experiment. They can always switch it back if traffic just tanks.
Along those same lines - you can configure things like attachments to show up thumbnail size until you are a registered user. The forums piss me off but I always register to get the larger images.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So how is the forum going to grow if new members cannot even see the content until they make 5 posts? At least have a preview page or something so people can be like "oh wait, this is actually worth it".
I'd be more likely to agree with you if I've ever found an image linked hosted by a community, visited that community and thought 'oh boy I should join this community.'. 100% of the time my thought process is 'I wonder if this community will let me hotlink this image or are they dicks and I have to upload it'.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Btw, you should just fucking ban these idiots who post 1-5 in the discussion threads. If they are too retarded to figure out where to post we don't want them anyways, why let them use our bandwidth?
Just report one of those posts. The moderation team will move them to the correct thread. No need to get ban-crazy because someone missed something.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

K now I'm going to go make 3 more mindless posts unless you give me my 10k back. THANKS TUCO <3.