Why I play Ultima Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I get pissed when I download a tv season, in blueray, that takes longer than 15 minutes. Double pissed when multiple seasons take me 30 minutes.

Oldbased

> Than U
I get pissed when people bitch about monthly 14.95 subs when I used to pay 3.95 a hour to play games 20 years ago.
My average bill back then was $300-400 a month to play.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to 1200 from 300 was like woah -- Vtech.

And then it was only a year later or so later and 2400! MY GOD MAN.

I remember getting a 14.4 and then the 19k's came out and I was all like, "Hrm -- nah. 14 is plenty fast!"

AND IT WAS. AND THAT'S HOW WE LIKED IT.
Going from 300 to 1200 on a Commodore 64 was insane. All of a sudden a BBS didn't crawl by as it was loading letter by letter. Also sped up my warez downloads quite a bit.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I think the only thing missing from that era is Dark Sun Online.

I knew of Yserbius and NWN, but couldn't afford the $2-5/hr to play them. (variable rates depending on the time of day!)

DSO could have a reasonable number of people in a zone. M59 could have like ~70 - I think that's the first real 'massive' game. From there it just went up and up.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
FWIW I apologize for comparing Garriot to Brad in the first Pantheon thread.

I was only 13 when EQ came out. Tried UO a few months later, couldn't see why people would play it instead of EQ so I quit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we havent compared 70s online games yet. my dad was a programmer for some tech company at the time and he used to bring me in to work with him ever once in a while and he would show off some of his geek stuff. he would play something called haunted house and a star trek type game with some dudes in california on the pc link they had. it was text based stuff, but it was still fun.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
a star trek type game with some dudes in california on the pc link they had.
It was a mainframe based game in 1980 after the first Star Trek movie played off a terminal. You essential had a race to see who could calculate the time that Spock's rocket needed to fire in order to get through the sphincter looking thing from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Your father was likely playing against geeks at Atlantic Richfield in Los Angeles. They created it.

I get pissed when I download a tv season, in blueray, that takes longer than 15 minutes. Double pissed when multiple seasons take me 30 minutes.
You need to check yo' privilege.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It was a mainframe based game in 1980 after the first Star Trek movie played off a terminal. You essential had a race to see who could calculate the time that Spock's rocket needed to fire in order to get through the sphincter looking thing from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Your father was likely playing against geeks at Atlantic Richfield in Los Angeles. They created it.
you rock dude, i couldnt even remember how it was played anymore.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
My first MMO circa 1996. PvPing since I was 12 bro.

rrr_img_66964.jpg

When you initiated combat you got sucked into those little combat clouds where you'd engage in turn based combat with monster or player(s). You could pickpocket items and money from people and break into their houses and even be a dick and attack your own group mates in mid-PvE and loot a random item and all of their gold from their corpse. Eventually you'd have to go to jail, where you'd bro out with fellow scumbags for something like 5 minutes per crime. There was no secure trade windows, so honest "Middle men" made a living doing trades between parties for a small fee. Everyone had a 2 room house and a chest to store shit, I had most of mine just scattered all over the floor until one day I logged in to find my house completely bare, except a single rose and a book on the ground, I clicked to examine the book and found a player had inscribed"You have been robbed by The Rose."in it. That was fucking cool despite losing all of my 2d pixel loot. People still play it. I think its like $3 a month.

Nowadays I can't even group with people on an instanced linear quest in ESO, how far we've fallen.

iannis

Musty Nester
There was one that was like a split screen 2 player zork game. You could wander around and interact with each other.

I think the idea was that you were both supposed to sit there and take turns and help each other solve the puzzles where you had to push a button in two locked rooms. But it inevitably led to fist fights and passive aggression and nascent trolling.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
My first MMO circa 1996. PvPing since I was 12 bro.

rrr_img_66964.jpg

When you initiated combat you got sucked into those little combat clouds where you'd engage in turn based combat with monster or player(s). You could pickpocket items and money from people and break into their houses and even be a dick and attack your own group mates in mid-PvE and loot a random item and all of their gold from their corpse. Eventually you'd have to go to jail, where you'd bro out with fellow scumbags for something like 5 minutes per crime. There was no secure trade windows, so honest "Middle men" made a living doing trades between parties for a small fee. Everyone had a 2 room house and a chest to store shit, I had most of mine just scattered all over the floor until one day I logged in to find my house completely bare, except a single rose and a book on the ground, I clicked to examine the book and found a player had inscribed"You have been robbed by The Rose."in it. That was fucking cool despite losing all of my 2d pixel loot. People still play it. I think its like $3 a month.

Nowadays I can't even group with people on an instanced linear quest in ESO, how far we've fallen.
fear me Big F!

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Internet access was still massively expensive in the UK until early 2000s. As in on dial up and pay for the phone call by the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.