Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Edge review said Wii U has framerate drops but they weren't at times that would make the combat suck. It definitely sounds like a game to be played with a controller for comfort/ease of use (and apparently the Gamepad screen isn't used for anything) so I want to get this working.

Apparently all I need to do is make a config file for the new DS4 which sounds easy enough. I've got the pid and vid for it so it's [hopefully] just a matter of copying a text file to my SD card and testing it in Bayonetta 2.

Vorph

Ended up giving up on HID to VPAD. Apparently there's just something weird about the new DS4 and the Wii U is completely incapable of interfacing with it. You can't even detect it with a tool to read info about HID devices connected.

Instead, I just went to Walmart and got an official Pro controller. All their Wii U stuff seems to be on clearance now, so while YMMV on what's in stock near you, you can get a controller for like $35 instead of $50, Nyko UBoost (not sure what clearance price was, I paid $20 a couple weeks ago and it's working great for extending the Gamepad battery life), etc.

Unrelated, but I finished playing through uncensored TMS#FE the other day. Fantastic game for anyone waiting impatiently for Persona 5, but uninterested in stuff like Horizon and NieR. Put about 70 hours into it doing pretty much everything possible on the first playthrough and if March wasn't such a busy month I'd probably start NG+ to check out Lunatic difficulty and the handful of things you can't do the first time through.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So is the EUR version on uTik playable yet? I see it available for download.

Siliconemelons

can a jailbroken wiiu still play the games you already downloaded - CD ones and can do netflix/hulu - thats all the wife cares about lol?

I have spring break next week so I think this would be a fun indoor project - the fun outdoor project is resealing my stupid driveway

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
can a jailbroken wiiu still play the games you already downloaded - CD ones and can do netflix/hulu - thats all the wife cares about lol?

I have spring break next week so I think this would be a fun indoor project - the fun outdoor project is resealing my stupid driveway
It should still play purchased games fine, as long as you don't boot into the custom firmware. The way I have it setup is it boots into the norma Wii U mode and then you have to manually "open" the custom firmware app first before you can load any homebrew stuff.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Is it worth picking up a second hand 3DS and jailbreaking it?

Never ever thought about buying a 3DS so haven't really followed it. Are there many good games out there for it?

Siliconemelons

It should still play purchased games fine, as long as you don't boot into the custom firmware. The way I have it setup is it boots into the norma Wii U mode and then you have to manually "open" the custom firmware app first before you can load any homebrew stuff.

Cool, I read the start of the walkthru - and it seemed like "the logical choice" was to do the dual boot like you said - it boots normal and everything, then you can open the custom rom and go from there- then I can run all the...home...brew...yeah... those games there.

Siliconemelons

I just need to find/buy a external HD and a SD card - maybe will do it sooner than later seeing as it can take a long time to do that initial rom dump or whatever it is

spronk

FPS noob
yes you can still play the games you own, digitally or disc. i own mk8 and play it online no problem. you can boot into normal mode and access the eshop and all that stuff and as far as the wii u is concerned you are just a regular wii u (or 3ds). even pirated games let you play online, although theoretically nintendo could track it and cross reference their purchase database, as long as you don't activate cheats online they seem to be ignoring it.

with the cfw on you can play any region game, turn on custom cheats, stream the wii u (or 3ds) to a pc, etc. definitely worth it. you can download and play the euro breath of the wild right now, the USA one isn't up on the eShop yet but when it goes up in the next 2-3 days it will be playable since it does not seem like Nintendo is putting out a wii u firmware update just for BOTW.

afaik the latest 3DS firmware does not allow you to jail break right now, but most of the 3DS in stores are still running 11.2 or lower so if you buy one and DON'T do a system update you can still jailbreak. at some point all the 3DS sold in stores will be on the latest firmware though.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
spronk spronk Does the Euro BOTW play like any other title off utik or do you need to do anything special?

Vorph

So is the EUR version on uTik playable yet? I see it available for download.
Yes, but you need to get the update from somewhere else or the game won't launch. Because updates are fakesigned, it takes a while for them to get added to uTik. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

I think this is the magnet link I used to get it. (Was late when I did it, and I had to try to find it again on the cesspool called /vg/.)
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:c5a1258b3983dba0dfe714ad8b5b68a3e0e18b33&dn=0005000E101C9500%20-%20v16(1).7z&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fzer0day.ch%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexplodie.org%3a6969

Once you install the game and the update, it plays perfectly. Make absolutely sure you do not connect to Nintendo at all before Friday though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Well, if they didn't update the firmware for Zelda, they are probably never going to. Wii U is officially dead after this.

If for some reason they do it anyway, it would be like the recent 3DS firmware--refuse it until the tools are updated and people say it's ok to do so. Or just don't bother ever unless there's a new game that requires it.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Just make sure you update your Wii U settings to not connect to Nintendo and auto download/update.

Siliconemelons

sorry to ask- but can I do it all with just a SD card, or if I download games from the utik thing do they go on system memory? SD or have to have external USB - I dont want to bother with the USB HDD because I dont care about ripping my CDs to be digital.. well not right now...

and what size if things are stored on SD is the biggest for the WiiU to handle? 512GB?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
the sd card is only used for the custom firmware/os to sit on and for the games to be on prior to installation. Anything bigger than 128gb is probably a waste. You play the games off the hard drive/internal memory. You probably don't need a hard drive if you don't plan on playing a bunch of games at once.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Cool thanks, finding some piddly SD card and gettin to the downloadn :)
I would get a 64gb sd card, so you can at least put several games on it for installation to the system.

Vorph

I've seen people on gbatemp say they use a thumb drive instead of a external HD. No idea how much it impacts performance or load times, but 64-128GB ones are dirt cheap and you don't have to deal with needing a Y adapter or extra USB power source. I mention this mainly because the guides recommend against installing Brazilian method games to internal storage (which again I don't really know why as I never tried anything but my external HD).

And yeah, 64GB is the bare minimum for the SD card. It shrinks by 32GB when you backup sysNAND to redNAND so anything less wouldn't be able to install games at all.