Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Truly 'game changing' and there is also one for the Wii-U as well.
After playing WiiU games in 4k with CEMU can't really justify getting a WiiU. Can't wait till its fully fleshed out. Never on any of my consoles as it is.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Think i'm ready to kill whoever designed the 3ds's wifi. Holy fuckballs is it slow ;(

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I bitch a lot about PSN, but Nintendo's network for the 3DS is like using the DSL service I had 15-20 years ago. If Sony is like 5x slower than Steam, then Nintendo is about 100x slower. I really hope they don't use the same stuff for Wii U games, because they are much larger than 3DS ones.

spronk

FPS noob
Jailbroke my Majora's Mask 3DS XL today, took about an hour and with freeshop I can install and play any 3DS game released on the eshop now. Pretty cool. It felt a bit more complicated than the wii u just because of how many times you have to take the SD card out, copy some files, put it back in, do some stuff, rinse and repeat. Follow the steps very carefully though at Guide and its pretty straight forward.

Leave yourself plenty of time when you do the part where you flash back down to 2.1, if you accidently close the 3DS (sleep mode) or do a firmware update you will brick your 3DS so pay really careful attention during the 2.1.0 ctrtransfer step and you should be fine.

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
is 32 GB enough for the 3ds to hold some games (primarly all Fire Emblem games) ?

Vorph

Yeah, 3DS games are tiny. Awakening is a little more than a GB, and all of Fates is like 3GB combined. Only other really notable large games are Bravely Default, Bravely Second, DQ8, and Xenoblade, which are each around 3GB.

spronk

FPS noob
this is cool, a homebrew app that lets you stream the 3DS to a pc, and send input from kbd/gamepad back to the 3ds
Official - [Release] kit-kat - The Ultimate 3DS Toolkit PC Client

its a bit funky to install (download and run the kit-kat.exe in the bottom of the first post) and then you have to also download a .cia file and install it, but can do it all from inside kit-kat. I got it running but its a tiny little window (can change that in options I think) and sound doesn't stream, only video but it does work with the gamepad on my PC which is kinda cool

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
Everything you need to know for 3DS:

I haven't done this yet, gonna do it today or this weekend but obviously you need a 3DS on the latest firmware, a microSD card for the new 3DS, SD card reader on PC, and thats about it.

Sub reddit:
3DS Hacking and Homebrew • /r/3dshacks

Actual step by step guide:
Guide

Thanks for this - picked up a 32GB sd card and an hour later my 3DS was running freeshop and blargSNES with every game I'll ever want to play.

Vorph

After reading the guide I'm still not clear on whether I can use my existing SD card or I need to have a separate blank one to start the process.

spronk

FPS noob
you can use your existing card, you need like 3gb or so free thats all. you will keep all your games, saves, profiles, etc. You do need to swap the SD card between the 3DS and your PC like a dozen times as you copy and delete files back and forth, so have a good SD card reader on your PC. I used my 32GB microSD card inside my 3ds xl and it had about a dozen games on it (10 gigs used) and no problems running all of them afterwards. They all get rewrapped as gifts when you are done but you just open and run them like before and all my saves (pathetic as they were) were fine.

all your 3ds stuff will be in the "/Nintendo 3DS" folder, just leave that folder alone and never delete it. None of the jailbreak steps will ever have you touch it.

i WOULD however backup your entire SD card to your PC before you start, and also in the step where it tells you to make a copy of the NAND copy that file (sysnand.bin) to a dropbox, onedrive, google drive, etc folder since its the OG firmware for your system that you could restore to if you ever needed to go back to stock 3DS.

Vorph

Ah, good.. thanks. I lost my old SD card reader somewhere so I ordered the one you linked above along with the Y cable for the WiiU HD. I think it was old enough that it probably wasn't USB 3.0 anyway, and the last thing I want is for the process to be even slower.

Speaking of that, the HD I'm going to use was originally bought for my PS3 and hasn't really been needed for anything else since then. It's in a USB 3.0 enclosure now. Do I just need to give it a new FAT32 format for the WiiU to use it, or does the console do a format itself when you first connect it?

spronk

FPS noob
wii u reformats the entire drive after you plug it in, its a custom format and can't even be read on pc and you can't use part of the drive, wii u takes the whole thing.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
this is cool, a homebrew app that lets you stream the 3DS to a pc, and send input from kbd/gamepad back to the 3ds
Official - [Release] kit-kat - The Ultimate 3DS Toolkit PC Client

its a bit funky to install (download and run the kit-kat.exe in the bottom of the first post) and then you have to also download a .cia file and install it, but can do it all from inside kit-kat. I got it running but its a tiny little window (can change that in options I think) and sound doesn't stream, only video but it does work with the gamepad on my PC which is kinda cool
Sucks that the streaming portion is N3DS only =/ Might be worth it for full controller support though if it works worth a damn.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was considering this. I don't know about the Wii U, since there's only 1 game that I think I would want on it at this point anyway and that comes out March 3rd. I am about 85% on doing the 3DS this weekend though.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Everything you need to know for Wii U:

First you can buy a refurb wii u from ebay for $200 direct from nintendo.
Black Wii U 32GB Deluxe + Nintendo Land - FACTORY REFURBISHED BY NINTENDO | eBay

I bought this one, it came in about 5 days with free shipping and zero problems.

Second you need a SD card, 64-128gb is ideal. They go on sale for $15-30 all the time on amazon, best buy, etc. I used a microSD card in a SD card adapter.
Third you need a USB hard drive plus a USB y-cable - the Wii U won't give enough "juice" off one USB port. Lots of places to get these things, here's the drive and Y adapter on amazon. I'd recommend 500gb-1TB, you can't use more than 2TB but really 500gb is more than enough for most people. I've installed EVERY game I want and it takes up 400gb of 1TB.
Amazon.com: 2.5" 500GB/500G Portable External Hard Drive Black USB 3.0 Black: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: USB 3.0 Y-Cable, LineYDI SuperSpeed Dual Micro-B USB to USB3.0 Y Data Cable with USB Power Extension Hard Drive Cable (0.5 m/ 1.64 ft): Home Improvement

Fourth obviously you'll need a PC with a SD card reader, you can buy a small adapter on amazon/etc, this is the one I used
Amazon.com: Sabrent SuperSpeed 2-Slot USB 3.0 Flash Memory Card Reader for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Certain Android Systems - Supports SD , SDHC , SDXC , MMC / MicroSD , T-Flash [Black] (CR-UMSS): Computers & Accessories

This is the reddit that has all the latest info and FAQs and stuff on the Wii U jailbreak:
WiiUHacks • /r/WiiUHacks

This is the step by step guide:
Home · FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial Wiki · GitHub

Just follow through every single step from 0 to 6. It WILL take hours at step 4 when you dump your NAND onto the SD card (which will shrink by 32gb) and copying wii u games is laborious - you have to download the titles you want on your PC (hours), then copy them to the SD card (hours), then transfer them on the wii U from the SD card to the USB drive (hours). But once you start it, it just runs by itself.

Oh, for step 6 when you actually start downloading games, the website they won't mention is wiiu dot titlekeys dot com, just type that into the tiki tool bar (or Wii U USB tool, etc) and you are good to go.

It took me about 15 hours total but I have nearly 100 games installed now on my Wii U, pretty much every 50+ metacritic game ever made. I'm going to play around with modding some of my games too, to restore the original japanese stuff for games like Xenoblade. I also installed the retroarch emulator but haven't played with it much yet.

I haven't touched the vWii stuff yet, but that'll also open up a library of thousands of wii games I can install and play. Some have Wii U up-ports I installed and can play like Xenoblade or Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

I did do the "full" thing, including Mocha CFW, RedNAND, and Coldboot so my wii u boots into already jailbroken mode. The instructions are a bit scary but its pretty easy if you follow them step by step, don't skip anything (including constantly editing the config.txt in /haxchi).
Damn you. Wii U on order.

Elminage

N00b
Didn't hack my N3DS since I bought it before CFW was out and already paid for a ton of digital games. Sometimes I wish I had just for the translated Japanese games and VC games that Nintendo won't put out, but I have no regrets that I gave them a bunch of money for a good product. I also don't care about VC because I have a PSP Go with CFW so I can just play everything there.

Vorph

I already bought almost all the games I want to play on 3DS too, but CFW is the only way I'll ever get to play FE Fates. No way in hell I will ever touch Treehouse's abomination without a fan patch.