Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

spronk

FPS noob
Didn't hack my N3DS since I bought it before CFW was out and already paid for a ton of digital games. Sometimes I wish I had just for the translated Japanese games and VC games that Nintendo won't put out, but I have no regrets that I gave them a bunch of money for a good product. I also don't care about VC because I have a PSP Go with CFW so I can just play everything there.

CFW doesn't interfere with nintendo store or anything, I have it booting up into cfw and I have all my paid for 3DS games running just fine doing streetpass etc. I can also just boot into the regular firmware when I start the system by holding down R and then nothing can tell the difference between regular 3ds and a jailbroken one. With so few new games coming out now I'm not really too worried about never accessing the eshop again anyways.

Plus you can directly run any region game within the Luma CFW, you don't need to change region or anything the firmware fools the game into thinking its in the right region. You use the PC tool to mark which games to download (any region), download em, copy them over to the 3DS via the System Tools windows share (or copy straight to the SD card), install it within the homebrew launcher, and off you go. Don't need to find shady sites to download ROMS or anything, you download the games straight from nintendo servers.

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
You use the PC tool to mark which games to download (any region), download em, copy them over to the 3DS via the System Tools windows share (or copy straight to the SD card), install it within the homebrew launcher, and off you go.

Which tool is this?

spronk

FPS noob
sorry I was thinking about wii u and uTikDownloadHelper, on 3DS just install the freeshop homebrew app from freeShop - download onto a PC, copy to your SD card via system tools windows sharing (new 3DS) or just copy to your 3ds sd card - then install using FBI on the 3DS. after that you can just select which games to install inside freeshop and it'll install them straight from nintendo servers like a regular bought game, can do from USA/EUR/JPN regions and they all run just fine no matter what region your 3DS is.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are NDS ROMs still a nope even in the latest CFWs?

I'd like to know this as well - hoping to play DQ9 but I don't know if installing it as .cia is even a thing you can do. Or if there's a better way I don't know about.

spronk

FPS noob
there is something called TWLoader which is supposed to run DS roms with Luma3DS CFW (what the jailbreak installs) but apparently DQ9 isn't compatible (yet?)
TWLoader - CTR-mode NDS app

also nds-bootstrap
nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

I have way too many unrun 3DS games to ever both with DS games so never really looked at either one.

nintendo has been releasing other DQ games in 3dS mode - i installed DQ 7 & 8 (or 6 and 7, i dunno) from freeshop that way so maybe DQ9 will come to 3DS

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Radiant Historia is a better game than almost anything on 3DS, I just want to finally finish it. Looks like it's still unplayable though, so I guess I should just buy it. Pretty sure Amazon still sells new copies.

Last edited:
  • 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Radiant Historia is a better game than almost anything on 3DS, I just want to finally finish it. Looks like it's still unplayable though, so I guess I should finally just buy it. Pretty sure Amazon still sells new copies.

It got reprinted I think. Really good game.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm playing DQ8 again at the moment, it was one of my favourites on PS2.

I guess I'll pick up an R4 cart somewhere. The only reason I want DQ9 is to coop with my gf. There's not enough local coop games that I can play with her without getting frustrated with her lack of skills :p

Vorph

I hope I didn't screw up by trying to use a 64GB SD card. XCX + DLC is like 30GB and I'm not sure the whole thing is going to fit onto the card with half of it taken up by the NAND partition. Anyone know if I can install the game, delete it off SD, copy over DLC, then install that? Individually they should each fit no problem. I just didn't realize there were any Wii U games that huge or I would have gotten a 128 instead of trying to be cheap.

Edit: NAND backup finally finished and there's 29.something GB free, so I definitely cannot copy over both XCX and its DLC at the same time. Backup took too much time and I had to leave, so I guess I find out later tonight if I screwed myself. One weird thing was that the console went back to Wii Menu after the backup finished, while the guide said it should go to a black screen instead.

One other problem I ran into was that plugging in the external HD caused my wifi to stop working. Turns out it was radio interference from the drive being too close to the Wii U. I ended up having to put the drive on the shelf below the console to get it to work again.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
you can install dlc and game seperately as well as updates, each should be in its own directory when you use USB Helper or uTikdownloader. I installed stuff in small chunks, even with a 128gb card (80gb after CFW) i couldn't fit everything in.

you could also use a second SD card if necessary - boot the wii u, launch homebrew, run the USB installer tool on the Wii U (WUP Installer) at that point you can eject the SD card with rednand, stick in a new sd card, and have it install from there, then eject the card and put back in your regular SD card after you are done installing to USB drive.

Vorph

Yeah, I'm seeing now that it's a lot more straightforward than I expected. Currently installing TMS#FE with the Restoration Patch applied, which will be a minor miracle if it actually works on the first try. If it fails I'm going to try to get untouched Fatal Frame 5 or XCX working first. FF5 is bizarre; the game is less than 7GB, but the DLC folder is 8GB.

Edit: Shockingly, it actually worked. The eshop menu shows Reincarnation 1.2 so the patch is definitely in effect, and so far no problems playing the game. I'm a little concerned about installing the DLC but hopefully it won't break anything. Not even sure what the DLC consists of anyway...

This is the video I followed to get it working:

It explains pretty much everything and all that is missing is the Wii U Common Key, which you can google easily enough.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
So my Wii U just came in from Nintendo and I'm looking at the list of steps, it says step 4 and 5 are optional. If you skip these can you still download the games through Nintendo and what do you lose out on?

Vorph

I wouldn't skip 4, it takes forever but it's supposed to protect your console from most things that could possibly go wrong once you get everything set up. I think having haxchi load Mocha CFW is a bit more convenient than just using HaxchiFW too.

5 I did not do. It's a minor convenience that saves you a click on haxchi after boot-up and maybe 15 seconds or so. It just sounds too new and risky to me for the time being. You can definitely do everything without it.

So far everything's working fine for me. Both the Wii U and 3DS went very smoothly.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
My MH4U 3DS is now good to go - many thanks for putting in the research and posting! I've got a 128GB card - was going to use the 64 in it but it somehow became corrupted (I guess, was working and copying when it suddenly stopped allowing writes). So I popped in the 128 I bought for my WiiU and worked fine. Another 128 coming tomorrow for the WiiU. Anyway, plenty of room and everything went smoothly.

Vorph

Is there really no way to turn off the gamepad screen while playing games that just mirror the TV onto it, watching Netflix, etc.?

spronk

FPS noob
you can, press home button controller settings turn display off

always takes me 5 mins to refigure out how to do it every time i'm playing MK8 on my pro controller

Vorph

Ah, good. The battery life on the gamepad is crazy short, so I was thinking it was extra retarded to have it stay on when it was just duping the TV display. Really wish they'd made the gamepad charger interchangable with the 3DS one. I like it where it is for charging overnight but it's a couple feet too short to plug in while playing, and I could easily plug the 3DS charger in behind me when I need it. But nope, not only do they insist on proprietary connectors, they can't even keep a standard across their own stuff.

Edit: Er, wait... does that still work if you are using the gamepad to play and not a pro controller? I need to get a pro before I play Bayonetta, but I haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. Probably should have gotten that from Ebay too, new official ones there are much cheaper than on Amazon or anywhere else I've looked that actually still sells them.

Last edited: