Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

spronk

FPS noob
this looked fun, still not loving the quests but combat feels a lot better than teso. this whole game kinda reminds me of rift though, in terms of really competent team executing a game that feels like a mishmash of stuff i've seen a hundred times

i have to say though one of the things i absolutely detested about wow raiding were the encounters that heavily depended on perfect interrupt cycle rotations (the dude right before yogg in ulduar for example, vezax?) and this seems like EVERY boss requires that

Ryanz

<Banned>
I was really excited for this game, then I got into beta. I'm not even sure why I was trying to fool myself into thinking I was going to really enjoy the game. I mean...it's nothing more then another theme park MMO that has a gimmicky telegraph system implemented into combat. I guess the whole theme park MMO thing has run its course for me. Vanilla WoW was fun for it's time...but it's been 10 years now and developers have only been trying to recreate WoW, or to slightly change a feature and claiming it's the next best thing. I'm just tired of it. Call me when a developer gets some balls, and makes UO2.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
this looked fun, still not loving the quests but combat feels a lot better than teso. this whole game kinda reminds me of rift though, in terms of really competent team executing a game that feels like a mishmash of stuff i've seen a hundred times

i have to say though one of the things i absolutely detested about wow raiding were the encounters that heavily depended on perfect interrupt cycle rotations (the dude right before yogg in ulduar for example, vezax?) and this seems like EVERY boss requires that
They made that dungeon really difficult, as a healer who has ran STL many many times as esper/medic, tanks can absolutely stand in telegraphs on the trash. They really make it seem much harder than it is. Some stuff the dps do need to get out of eventually, but it's not difficult at all and there is quite a large margin of error. As for the bosses, some do require interrupts after certain mechanics from more than one person (because of the way interrupt armor works), but its really obvious when to do it and every class gets one so its not too bad. Again, most of this can be healed through if the healer is familiar with the instance, I can think of only one boss in there where you run the risk of failing if the boss is not interrupted, the rest is healable.

Im guessing this is probably different at the max level raids.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I can totally see why many of you are so ready to give this game a pass, and tbh if I was still playing WoW (haven't touched it on a regular basis in at least 2 years), or Rift, or any other theme-park MMO, I would probably share the same sentiments. But I am having a total blast playing this - keeping it casual and it has been really fun. Sure it's quest hubs, but the quests are grade A quests in the vein of WoW, and the world detail, with the attention given to all of the little bits and bobs therein is just killer.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I already went through my "it's pretty good for what it's trying to be" phase with Rift and I know where that ends
Well sure they'll all end that way eventually. But like FF14 I knew it would only last me a week or two, so I enjoyed the content and avoided the obvious grinds (crafting, didnt gather to high level, etc).

Itzena_sl

shitlord
There's one big difference between this game and most current MMOs. Almost every "area"(not always entire zone in otherwords) has its own story arc. So you may do a zone that has 3-4 arcs in it or sometimes 1 that covers that entire zone.
Wait, how is this different from most current MMOs?

iannis

Musty Nester
It's sort of a problem that the one really new thing they're offering is warplots. That has the potential to be awesome. It does. No foolin.

Unfortunately their pvp is balls terrible. It's just atrociously bad. But here's the real kick, they're 40v40 player crafted pvp zones and... the losing team gets their shit destroyed.

Dafuq? They actually think people are gonna do that? It's gonna be... what was the name of that horrible abortion of a pvp game wolfpack launched... the one with playermade cities. Yeah, that but worse.

I mean way to shoot yourself in the dick.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait, how is this different from most current MMOs?
Most have a major story that over arcs the entire game from level 1 to 50. This does not.

As for PVP I dunno, took some getting used to aiming and positioning(especially as a healer when all the dps move around constantly) and its always a pain with pugs, but it's pretty fun. Not counting balance and bugs of course with balance being a big one. You also have a big part of it with AMPS and the LAS, mixing and matching abilities. Do you want CC, just dmg, cures/purges, CC reduction etc and the same with amps. It's a lot to figure out and can be frustrating and little overwhelming for a lot of people.

As for the warplots dunno haven't done them, so I am not sure how I feel about it you lose something actually tangible. Losing something permanently isn't a big deal, makes you work harder and try harder to win and its nice to have some consequences in general but again I have no clue of the severity of it.

The game you are thinking of is shadowbane and it didn't fail because of its mechanics and features(ie building cities and losing them).

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Okay, the dungeon run in the youtube video looked pretty fun. I'll probably try both this and ESO but I probably won't log in again after I hit max. We'll see.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
That's the fucked up catch 22 about weekend betas. I'm either going to waste a weekend giving a horrible game an honest shot that I could've spent with a game I know I like, or I'm going to love everything about it and not be able to play again for a long time.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
What, are you guys getting shipped out overseas? Thank you for your service.
If there's a small chance you aren't being sarcastic, I'm in the stress test pool. Even if i miraculously reached lv 32 by tommorrow I'm still not going to still be in the beta unless I'm emailed a key.

i mean I could share my thoughts on it if you like, but I tried a spellslinger and I'm lv 10. I'm digging the community etc etc. The real question is do I try a few other classes to have a taste to see what's what or do I keep going until i can find a dungeon or house creation. I'm under the impression that stalkers are fun, medics are op, and every other class is on equal footing. But yeah I found myself getting into the spellslinger.

I was really excited for this game, then I got into beta. I'm not even sure why I was trying to fool myself into thinking I was going to really enjoy the game. I mean...it's nothing more then another theme park MMO that has a gimmicky telegraph system implemented into combat. I guess the whole theme park MMO thing has run its course for me. Vanilla WoW was fun for it's time...but it's been 10 years now and developers have only been trying to recreate WoW, or to slightly change a feature and claiming it's the next best thing. I'm just tired of it. Call me when a developer gets some balls, and makes UO2.
Same. The game is also very cluttered visually. I kinda-sorta like the animations. I do not like having to click twice or thrice to accept a collect bear asses quest. Even less for the stuff that would be a bonus or area mission in SWTOR. Also, the humour is blech.

I honestly don't see the attraction of literally dozens of copy-paste errands. Might as well just give more exploration experience if moving on predetermined rails is so goddamned important. Also, tons of hand-holding.

I'm digging the community etc etc.
Are you serious? I only played a little in the stress test and from what I can see, it's a bunch of instant gratification dolts.

edited to add: and I was wrong. There are those dudes, but there are some really cool people as well, and every second word on general or the fora is not 'gay' so that's a definite plus.