Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
Makes you wonder why TERA had to go f2p.
Because everything aside from combat (and portions of the combat, like the RNG of damage done) was massively shitacular.

Edit: Which is not the case with Wildstar though. I played the beta for weeks and found loads of stuff to like... but none of it made the combat any fun for me.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yep.

Tera content was poor at start (only had 2 3 dungeon at 50 iirc) no nexus and no bgs. Then it picked up a bit, but well the engine is not suited for mass scale battle or raids tbh. On nexus i remember i had like 1 to 10-15 fps, when i normally rocked 70+ fps. On wildstar i have around 60 normally. Incidently i think it will be the same problem BnS will have. Excellent combat, with very lil content.

I really wish ws had the depth of combat of tera or bns, but its not there tbh. Hope a game in the future will be able to pull a combat system like that on a game with a competitive pve enviroment.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you had watched the video entirely, you would have seen he actually says TERA is a rubbish mmo(very early in the TERA description, at the end of the hammer swinging part) and the only good thing about it is the combat. It's a combat discussion videos, not a which mmo is better. In fact it doesn't even say that TERA combat is better, it just explains what it is in details and compare it to other systems. That video was made as a response for discussions on the Wildstar forums because he was tired having retards come in and comment on his Tera examples on how to make Wildstar less shit without even understanding how Tera combat worked.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
End game in TERA was awful. Lockout timers on dungeons, terrible RNG on enchanting, and only like 2 or 3 dungeons. The other end game thing they had was the portal things or whatever, which suffered from terrible netcode and culling, which made it essentially unplayable.

The pre-max level game was amazing. If they hadn't fucked up end game so bad, I might have played it for several months as opposed to quitting when I did.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I wouldn't say the pre-max level was amazing. There were points where you ran out of quests, grinding was just terrible etc. There were some really fun parts though for sure.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I wouldn't say the pre-max level was amazing. There were points where you ran out of quests, grinding was just terrible etc. There were some really fun parts though for sure.
Yeah Tera's combat was fun, but the rest of the game was typical Korean MMO. Tired of all these MMO's that have 1 or 2 parts great and everything else wrong. Somebody someday needs to get all these right parts together. Reminds me of this comic.

i-5SpGRMQ-1050x10000.jpg

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
Tera has very tight bands of attack for a lot of the abilities, and not everything is mutli-target.
I played a Slayer. Most other classes would also agree with me when I say it's that kind of game. The mechanics are all extremely similar, other than the white damage in Wildstar. This isn't ESO with lock on targetting either. There was very little targetting in Tera and you could very well miss attacks or combos.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would love if they did like BnS and I could choose form typical MMO setup(what it is currently) or the reticule style setup w/ LMB + RMB.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Don't remember if it's been discussed but there is an add on that allows you to bind your mouse turn to be constantly on so you don't have to press any buttons to mouse turn and have your lmb and rmb free.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Don't remember if it's been discussed but there is an add on that allows you to bind your mouse turn to be constantly on so you don't have to press any buttons to mouse turn and have your lmb and rmb free.
So technically it may be possible to make it pretty darn close to Tera? That would be awesome.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
So technically it may be possible to make it pretty darn close to Tera?
Not in the slightest. The only thing the Deadlock add-on does it make it so you don't have to hold the right mouse button down all the time. It doesn't change abilities that require a target to function or change the damage is calculated.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not in the slightest. The only thing the Deadlock add-on does it make it so you don't have to hold the right mouse button down all the time. It doesn't change abilities that require a target to function or change the damage is calculated.

I haven't used the addon but that sounds exactly like tera. With a reticule, mouse movement is automatically tied to camera movement , leaving the 2 mouse buttons to be bound to 2 abilities. Though does it allow you to hit a key(say alt) and you have your mouse cursor back? If so that is awesome and one of the first things I will download, might even do it now to test it out.

As to your two "reasons" for it not being in the "slightest", neither contradict what he said, since we were talking about reticule, camera and LMB/RMB setups.

We weren't talking about the entire combat setup, even though both are close with slight differences between them.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
If the addon frees up the right mouse button then maybe you could use LMB or RMB for your lv 1 spam skill then? Or maybe I don't understand what the mod does.

Tera was onto something with that whole LMB doing basic attacks crap.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Last version I checked, but it might have changed, wouldn't allow RMB/LMB to be rebound. API shit not being available I think, that might have changed since it was the #1 request for the mod. It does select shit under your reticule automatically though and default back to the normal scheme when you open your inventory or talk to a NPC, so overall it's a fairly good mod that mimics TERA control very closely. There's some quirks that were annoying(tick sound when you select a target that's part of the basic UI iirc) and it felt a bit weird since it hard targets everything in your cursor instead of just being a "aim there" reticule, but was still nice.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly they just need to ask NCsoft for the code to BnS's , so I can choose a normal MMO setup or Tera style.

As for the mod, I would even go as far as to remove the reticule, no real reason for it here, the telegraphs are the aiming device(no guessing if your attack will hit the mob or not because of invisible hit-boxes and ability parameters). I just want mouse locked to camera and LMB/RMB binds with the ability to hit a key to bring up a mouse cursor to do usual stuff.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
If the addon frees up the right mouse button then maybe you could use LMB or RMB for your lv 1 spam skill then? Or maybe I don't understand what the mod does.
The add-on allows you to move the camera and character as if you were constantly holding the right mouse button.

In its most current incarnation it also has options for (among others):
- clicking a mouse button to bring back up the mouse cursor
- hitting/holding down a keyboard key to bring back up the mouse cursor
- auto-targeting things you place under your reticule
- auto-targeting specific to a faction; i.e. auto-targeting allies you place under your reticule to make sure you can heal them, or auto-targeting only enemies to make sure you can do damage to them
- choosing between different types of reticules
- resizing the reticule you choose

Also, when I used Deadlock (in an earlier incarnation), I bound my right mouse button to Dodge.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I've watched streams for this game 3 times over the past couple weeks. Every time I just think how it looks exactly like WoW. Even the dungeons, fights, and UI are like WoW.
Honestly I wish that was the case - I was hoping this would fit like an old glove because of the similarities to WoW. I had the chance to play for an afternoon on a friend account and found that wasnt the case.

For example I didnt like the UI at all (I like the stock WoW UI). Obviously both can be entirely changed with mods but I usually try to stay with as few mods as possible. And while both are cartoony (and I'm generally ok with that) the towns felt, I dunno, cluttered. The world and character/mob models just didnt click with me like WoW does. Gameplay-wise I cant really judge much with just getting level 11 on an engineer, all I did was solo my way through the quests. Combat felt decent, although imo telegraphs are overdone (compared to GW2, where many obvious AEs dont actually have telegraphs but you realize to get out of the way of the ettin clubs pretty fast).