Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well the "run around the room and everyone who gets a bomb go drop it out of the raid" isn't really exactly new, shit was done in naxxramas during vanilla wow. Granted it wasn't bunch of the ground falling and shit, just the slow expanding poison circles, but conceptually it's basically the same fight.
yeah similar fight of one of the dread fortress/palace boss (forgot wich, passed a bit of time since ive stopped playing there) in swtor, with platform dropping and so on.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Id love to know what raids you guys think have "new" mechanics. As far as everything Ive experienced lately, it all has the same concept with a new skin. I really like MoP (WoW Expac) but I havent seen anything in any of the raids that made me go... "Whoaaa... thats awesome!" Nor, in any other MMO Ive played trying to find that "new" flare. Keep in mind we're only looking at one raid encounter, and its the first one in the zone. Difficulty level implied by position.

spronk

FPS noob
hmm when i searched wildstar on amazon this came up

51FOAu-XU8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Amazon.com: WILDSTAR eBook: Nicole Jordan: Kindle Store

iannis

Musty Nester
Considering the kneejerk sexual pandering and social justice crusade that might actually be the coverart for the "gurlz gaem 2" release box.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Looks like official pre-order and release date are up, June 3rd.

PRE-ORDER | WildStar MMORPG
One thing of note I saw on the link. Either version comes with "3 guest passes with 7 days of playtime." This is a pretty smart movie. There are always a ton of people in every new MMO thread here asking for guest passes. Most games don't offer them until months in when they are already bleeding subs and people don't want to try them anyway. Well played sirs.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
The video reminded me of Tarren Mill or Crossroads PvP when Vanilla WoW first hit. Of course that shit was a new and fresh experience back then. Feeling like a god just because I was sitting there casting Rain of Fire was pretty fun. Of course that was a god damn decade ago so I doubt mass PvP is any fun in Wildstar.

Idk. I'm seeing all of this negative feedback and I understand it. The game being released in the summer could be an awful thing or a good thing. I'll probably still buy the game if it runs smoothly. I wouldn't be able to get into it at all with such low frames per second.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I've been in closed beta for quite a while, actually I think I got my account in one of the very first waves. And still I never made it past level 10 on any character, somehow it's one of the most boring MMOs I've ever played. Which is somewhat odd; the game is pretty well-made but still feels like Blizzard re-released WoW as some kind of cash-grab HD edition.

One of the most concerning things though is the funky performance, it's just all over the place. I'm still using my rig from 2 years ago or something, (OC'd I5 2500k, Radeon 6950 2gb, 16gb Ram) and it's fairly bad. Standing around the newbie zone my fps goes from 15-60 for no apparent reason and disabling certain options (like shadows) just does nothing, it stays the same.
I'd say right now it's even worse than it was at the beginning, which is usually not a good sign. A game which looks like a somewhat flashier version of WoW, yet is running worse than GW2 should not be released in 3 months.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
maybe you need to smoke crack to really enjoy wildstar
Going to pre-order, but I can already tell those colors have the capability to give me an epileptic fit over time. I'm going to have to fiddle with the hue, darken up the screen or something because I don't want it that neon constantly.

The art style doesn't bother me much. Neither do all the telegraphs, but it's the amount of color that goes along WITH those flashes and telegraphs in one package that may be too objectionable later on. I guess I'll see what happens later.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I cannot tell whats happening in that video of neon geometric shapes. Is that supposed to be fun?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The stalker is casting a big area spell that drags everyone to the center, then the rest of his group is spamming smaller, high-damage AOEs on the now-concentrated mass of enemy players.

I assume it's more fun than when Chaos was doing in the Warhammer MMO, largely because they're doing it in not-the-Warhammer-MMO. And it was pretty fun to do that in Warhammer.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Id love to know what raids you guys think have "new" mechanics. As far as everything Ive experienced lately, it all has the same concept with a new skin. I really like MoP (WoW Expac) but I havent seen anything in any of the raids that made me go... "Whoaaa... thats awesome!" Nor, in any other MMO Ive played trying to find that "new" flare. Keep in mind we're only looking at one raid encounter, and its the first one in the zone. Difficulty level implied by position.
This is true. There's only so many ways to do 'aoe' and 'adds' and 'tank swaps' before you've seen it all. I think the last time I went 'whoah .. Cool' with regards to mechanics in a raid fight were back in sun well plateau in burning crusade - not that they were particularly special, but for their *time* it was really some new stuff.

Everything is going to look familiar to someone who's a veteran of this genre, and it seems like Devs are trying to overcome this by just increasing the twich factor and level of punishment for making a mistake(1 person doesn't move at the exact right time - wipe the raid)

These designers need to go back to the drawing board and really start from the ground up with some new ideas. The endgame has become all about gear - gear checks, gear drops, etc - all the wonder of being somewhere awesome (entering vp, entering pofire the first time) is gone. I'm not sure what the answer is, but there has to be some innovation left in this area, it just hasn't been a focus in a long time

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
The stalker is casting a big area spell that drags everyone to the center, then the rest of his group is spamming smaller, high-damage AOEs on the now-concentrated mass of enemy players.

I assume it's more fun than when Chaos was doing in the Warhammer MMO, largely because they're doing it in not-the-Warhammer-MMO. And it was pretty fun to do that in Warhammer.
I actually thought it was a video about stalkers lacking AoE damage, thus being worthless. I guess that speaks volumes about the readability of the game.

I am starting to think that telegraphs should automatically become transparent or just plain muted in larger fights. Wouldn't that make more sense?

As for gear checks in raiding games, if we didn't have gear checks in any game, raiding would just be too easy and content would be consumed even faster. If you don't like strict wiping parameters then gtfo.