Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yes it is. The games tech is almost a generation ahead of WoW's. It may look cartoony, but the tech there is much more impressive than WoW's was. It also doesn't run like shit. When I first joined the beta about 5 months ago I would have said it ran like shit, but since then, the performance has improved dramatically, and it's still an ongoing process that will continue to improve.
WoW has updated it's tech along the way, it's a much different engine then in the past. I'm happy it doesn't run like shit for you but that doesn't change the fact the developers have admitted there is an issue and are addressing it. Art is a personal taste and to many the game does look 10 years old. I personally don't have a problem with the art style, I do have a problem with it taxing my machine like I'm running BF4.

I realize it's an ongoing process but this late in the game is when people finally decide to pre-order or not. Having faith that something will be fixed or get better isn't a smart thing to do.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's bayr, he always drops in here to say his little comment and then run off.

It does need optimization though, I have improved since I last played but there is still some issues.

Column_sl

shitlord
It definitely runs better then the watermarked version, but it's nowhere even close to the last two MMO's that came out.
I'm not even sure what's even causing it to under perform Teso, and FF14.

Like you can even see baked lighting on some of the textures.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It definitely runs better then the watermarked version, but it's nowhere even close to the last two MMO's that came out.
I'm not even sure what's even causing it to under perform Teso, and FF14.

Like you can even see baked lighting on some of the textures.
Who knows. I tried every suggestion on the forums and it's just not acceptable to me. Hopefully its just certain combinations of chips. For instance all 4 machines I played it on have I7's and Nvidia Gpu's. It has improved since closed beta, maybe they will figure it out.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
These are the settings I run. (Image)

rrr_img_65588.jpg

My specs are
Intel Core i3 530
EVGA P55 SLI E655 motherboard (I am not currently running SLI though. Not sure if it's worth buying another 560 Ti for)
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Tl;DR
I set W* to Ultra High Quality then set shadows to medium and Texture Level of Detail to High Quality. I experience no FPS drop while I play. None at all. (Maybe my monitor is smaller then others run?) I run dual monitors also fyi.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
No performance problems w/ my i7 920 and GTX 670, just so bored in the tutorial (Exile, Human, Engineer, Settler - first time ever playing tonight) that I'm about to quit and go play Diablo. Maybe try it again when it goes on sale or closer to F2P.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
No performance problems w/ my i7 920 and GTX 670, just so bored in the tutorial (Exile, Human, Engineer, Settler - first time ever playing tonight) that I'm about to quit and go play Diablo. Maybe try it again when it goes on sale or closer to F2P.
Try a stalker or engineer (stack finesse in both cases) and go Exile -> Northern Wilds (leave via the Grinok ship NOT the Aurin one)

Might change your opinion..

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
These are the settings I run. (Image)

rrr_img_65588.jpg

My specs are
Intel Core i3 530
EVGA P55 SLI E655 motherboard (I am not currently running SLI though. Not sure if it's worth buying another 560 Ti for)
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Tl;DR
I set W* to Ultra High Quality then set shadows to medium and Texture Level of Detail to High Quality. I experience no FPS drop while I play. None at all. (Maybe my monitor is smaller then others run?) I run dual monitors also fyi.
The settings do nothing at all for my framerate no matter what I change them to. I had to go in and have my GPU override the game settings itself and create a profile for it to make a difference. I can get a steady 58 fps now. Not what I expect but very playable.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
To be clear: Wildstar runs like shit on some pc specs that it has no business running as poorly as it does on. They've been steadily improving it patch after patch however they've already stated that optimization is at the very end of the beta for them. Normally I wouldn't believe the type of 'miracle patch' to improve performance but that's basically how NCsoft did it for GW2 and the performance there wasn't outrageously horrible (minus the inexcusable PVP loading concerns).

Both tutorials are also incredibly dull but I can't for the life of me understand why people make such a big deal out of it. All video game tutorials & starting zones are boring. It's like a staple of the genre at this point. When I load any MMO I resign myself to the fact that I'm going to auto pilot through the stupid at the beginning and wait until I've completed at least the first dungeon before I make a judgement on whether or not the game is fun. Of course, if you're sick of quest hubs then that's a different complaint altogether however why you'd even try Wildstar if you were sick of hubs is probably a better question to be asking.

Column_sl

shitlord
They've been steadily improving it patch after patch however they've already stated that optimization is at the very end of the beta for them.
Well. that's good. If they can get it to perform really well it will probly be a halfway decent MMO. It worries me that we are are so close to launch tho.

I wish the quest thing was more like FF14 tho, less quests with bigger EXP pools, and made you advance through all the dungeons.
There is so many fetch quests right now it's really irritating.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Took an exile engineer to 10 and I'd say it's turned into a good enough theme park MMO...no way is it worth 60 dollars for the box and a sub though.

Meph_sl

shitlord
I played an Exile Warrior up to 8. It ran fine for me on a i5-2550k with a 460GTX but the game just seems so ho-hum to me. Reminds me a lot of WOW in many respects but just doesn't have the same charm to me. I haven't had my account on since the end of 2011 (Right after Cata launch) but the whole time playing Wildstar I could only think that if I wanted to play this type of game I should just stick to WOW which does it better. The combat seemed pretty lame too, really just spam a couple buttons. I don't know if it gets better later, but I was so bored I don't imagine I will ever find out.

Caliane

I am really enjoying this alot. Again, nothing really NEW.

But alot of really nice touches. alot of it being style. The writing, and alot of polish is amusing. The simple level up. "guitar riff+ FUCK YEAH!" is great.
The AMP system, and teirs on skills may result in some really neat combos. in addition to weapon attachments, and stat checkpoints as noted a while back.

Too many quests. yeah, this is classic wow, with enter an area pick up 30 quests, you check mark down the line. I'm playing mostly as settler, and that just adds MORE ! I have to take care of for any given area.
The way quests are given is a bit weak too. no cutscenes, or big menu dumps. I know alot of people skip through that anyway. but the small dialogue boxes as they are can get drowned out by in game effects, zone chat, etc. its hard to get invested when you miss half of what is being said.
Directions to quest locations are non-existent as well. "meet me outside" type shit. where you pretty much HAVE to use the giant arrow locator button to find the person you were taking to 40ft away, because they just phased to another location, but didn't actually say where.

Decent amount of hidden things in the form of challenges, achievements, etc.

I have not hit pvp or housing yet.

Dull tutorial. yeah. was not a fan of the tutorials.
The professions are not explained well at all.
Alot of running around from point A-B.
The VERY first part should be solo instance. I don't know why mmos keep doing that. everyone logs in at the same point standing RIGHT on top of each other. It looks stupid, especially when the in game story is telling you, you are the SOLE survivor, etc. in this game, solo in that first awakening area. give you a chance to rebind keys, learn to move, etc. Then it makes sense the second area with the med lab having a ton of people.

But again, that very first area. learn to talk to !, ok. learn to right click things to use. ok.. hallway is to show environment damage. But then click again? and hallway again? and needlessly long run to tram..

Caliane

Also, the Credd system for "free to play" seems stupid to me.

Eve is like this I guess? I don't really play it, nor am totally familiar with it. My friends comments on it, are that you basically have to play ALOT or work the AH to be able to play for free.
Design wise I don't get it.
It seems like you are giving your whales the chance to play free, while the casuals, who are the ones you should be targeting for f2p, are not given a reasonable access.

My issue for example is the nature of time gained via Credd. You buy a month apparently. A system that is designed to encourage retention of casual player should be measured in days or hours. And not tick off, when they are offline.
Leaving/coming back. that time should still be there. like, you can't f2p, if you leave for a month, and come back. your time is gone. And need to BUY to play again. that shouldn't happen.
The moment a player lets it lapse once, that player is never coming back.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Also, the Credd system for "free to play" seems stupid to me.

Eve is like this I guess? I don't really play it, nor am totally familiar with it. My friends comments on it, are that you basically have to play ALOT or work the AH to be able to play for free.
Design wise I don't get it.
It seems like you are giving your whales the chance to play free, while the casuals, who are the ones you should be targeting for f2p, are not given a reasonable access..
Credd gives options for RMT, in a nutshell. The casual vs hardcore argument is really meaningless. Basically it lets someone sell their gold and make cash.

It's actually a very good design and implementation.

spronk

FPS noob
tera had it too and I think it never really works out the way hardcore MMOers or devs think. For example in TERA when their credd went live, it cost the standard $10 or $15 to buy one on the store, you could buy & hold a max of 2 or 4 i think, until they sold. You could list it on the AH at any price you want.

It took about an hour or two to farm 1000g for the average solo player, so I was figuring a credd would sell for like 15-20k... you know, 15-20 hours of farming to buy a month of sub, pretty reasonable? It started out at like 8k and dropped to 3k within the first day, and then pretty much went to 2k and 1.5k the next day as hundreds hit the AH. Made absolutely no sense, couldn't really buy anything good with that little gold but still people were doing it. I had so much gold I bought a years worth of sub, and then stopped logging in two months later and never logged in again until it went f2p like six months later (any "sub time" you had left got converted into cash store points).

I'd expect this to be the same too, as people flood the credd market initially and then it really dries up as people stop playing. So farm up all that gold, wait 3-4 days after it goes live, then buy up a ton and wait for f2p.

Caliane

Interesting. yeah. as my thoughts on that would be, I expect it to be priced out of any reasonable rate. if Tera's play to pay was priced so low, was everyone playing for free?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmm spronk I wonder why that happened. In EvE it balances out fine. Maybe it just takes longer? Still low priced sub is perfectly fine for me if the game still manages to do well.

spronk

FPS noob
my guess would be that eve has a ton of vet players who "know the market", and very few newbie players who will supply game time, so demand is much higher than supply. in new MMOs supply is much higher than demand, especially with everyone sort of used to cash shops and mobile game based p2w shit - "I want gear/housing/etc NOW, let me buy gold".

I'd also guess Carbine won't put in the credd system for 2-3 months, to get people to buy 3-12 month subs before having the option of buying game time with gold.