Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Meh, GW2 was all the same hype, same love, even through the beta phases and weekends. I remember everyone proclaiming it the second coming, even more. And it ended up being a big turd.
Well I'm convinced. Best to just never get excited about anything new guys. We should probably just stop looking at new games altogether and go join mkopec in farming C2 in PoFire.
rolleyes.png

rolleyes.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Meh, GW2 was all the same hype, same love, even through the beta phases and weekends. I remember everyone proclaiming it the second coming, even more. And it ended up being a big turd.
Not really sure what was a turd about GW2. Just because it's not the same endless treadmill nonsense doesn't make it a good game.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno about big turd. It provided about 3-4 months of fun(easily 100+ hours), for 60 bucks.

I generally have 2 opinions. The pre-play opinion, based on videos, streams, blogs, previews etc and the after-play opinion, where I finally get to play and can get a judgement from that. I never expect games to provide years of entertainment. If after I play it either via beta, trial , etc and I find it enough to give initial investment of time/money, all I expect at that point is to get at least 50 or more hours out of the game. If it turns out to be a lot more and the game can keep me hooked for longer then all the better, but I never expect the latter.

I have no requirement to play 1 game and play it for a long time. I have no issues playing multiple games in different stages. If a game comes along that can hook me for long periods of times(year or more) then even better, but that's the developers jobs and only hurts them if it doesn't happen.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have no requirement to play 1 game and play it for a long time. I have no issues playing multiple games in different stages. If a game comes along that can hook me for long periods of times(year or more) then even better, but that's the developers jobs and only hurts them if it doesn't happen.
I dont either, trust me. this year I have played WoW, like a month of SWTOR, Defiance, and now back to EQ.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Sad isnt it? All these new awesome mmorpgs and yet I chose a 14 yr old game to play? It just shows you the state of the mmorpg genre.
Uh, no. It shows us what your personal taste in games is and that is all. Pretty sure I'd fuck a jar full of fish hooks before grinding PoFire again.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I actually played GW2 for more than two months and it had no sub, so I thought it was decent. That beats anything else and most WOW expansions over the last few years.

I like a lot of the features. but I really hate the graphics, and the videos aren't appealing to me. WOWs graphics were always the biggest complaint I had about it.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
GW2 was a fantastic time, and it didn't cost anything more then the box price. Few months of dominating shit was well worth the time investment.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Did you even see who you were fighting?

Anyway, the whole point of my post was to be weary about giving into the hype train, thats all.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Coming from you and your shitty taste?LOL
If my shitty taste is whats keeping me from grinding old content in a 14 year old game then I am fucking thrilled to have such shitty taste.
biggrin.png

Edit: For the record I was playing with Fight and them only a couple months ago. If you want to play that game at least enjoy the new content. It's excellent for the most part.

biggrin.png

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I generally have 2 opinions. The pre-play opinion, based on videos, streams, blogs, previews etc and the after-play opinion, where I finally get to play and can get a judgement from that. I never expect games to provide years of entertainment. If after I play it either via beta, trial , etc and I find it enough to give initial investment of time/money, all I expect at that point is to get at least 50 or more hours out of the game. If it turns out to be a lot more and the game can keep me hooked for longer then all the better, but I never expect the latter.
This is exactly how I do it now as well. I have found that I enjoy these games so much more without putting unrealistic expectations on them. I have been able to have a good time in almost every MMO released over the last 10 years or so. Even ones that are really flawed like WAR. I find it hard to complain about it after a few months of fun with friends/family.

Edit: Biggest reason I don't care so much anymore is that I am not entirely sure part of the problem isn't me. I don't know if I could play another game like I did PoP-era EQ or early WoW. The same game 7 days a week, year after year doesn't even sound appealing anymore. The quality of these games could be better without question, but even if they were perfect I doubt I'd play longer then 6 months at a shot before wanting to do something else. Guess I'll find out if something that good comes around again.

Spawn_sl

shitlord
I'd agree to be in the same boat if it wasn't sure League of Legends. I've played it on and off since beta and probably have more hours in it than any MMO to date, I still suck and it is still the same map I play every single game. I guess it just comes down to the dynamics of every encounter being "different". The only thing I really look forward to at this point is the new Camelot game, I'm not hardcore pvp or anything. But a game where things can be vastly different every time I login are what's appealing to me.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Edit: Biggest reason I don't care so much anymore is that I am not entirely sure part of the problem isn't me. I don't know if I could play another game like I did PoP-era EQ or early WoW. The same game 7 days a week, year after year doesn't even sound appealing anymore. The quality of these games could be better without question, but even if they were perfect I doubt I'd play longer then 6 months at a shot before wanting to do something else. Guess I'll find out if something that good comes around again.
I was never into that to begin with. For one I never raided in any game. Just not enough time in my life to devote a set schedule for any video game. For instance when I started EQ back in early 2000, I was already married with a career and a kid on the way. Second, even in the days of EQ, I did not just play EQ. While EQ definitely was my favorite, I played other mmorpgs like Shadowbane and Anarchy Online on and off for years.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Headshotting in C2 of PoFire is fun man. There are few environments that are so well suited for it.