Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm still convinced so many games keep having so many issues because people feel it applicable to ask 'how long should that dungeon take' and worse there is an answer.

How long did LGuk take to beat? How long did it take to beat SolB? Exactly. The questions don't apply and are dumb. They were just places with reasons to go spend time in, and those reasons definitely weren't to earn some contrived dungeon currency to then buy items with.

In short, fuck WoW, Wildstar and all the rest. And get off my lawn.
It is applicable and there must be an answer. Are you being obtuse on purpose? The dynamic "victory conditions" of lguk aren't as black/white as a modern MMO dungeon, but lets go ahead and assume it involves getting some sweet fucking loot. Now we can set up an equation based on estimated drop rate, avg time to find group, odds of group dying, trains... etc etc. Those that could block out the required time got sweet loot; those that couldn't needed to go elsewhere and farm plat on giants or some shit. That was kinda cool -- then devs decided economies are hard or some such and now everything is BoP.

I was 14 years old for vanilla EQ and am still salty as fuck that the only "quality" time I could get was twice a month when I visited my father's house. My mother wanted me doing lame casual shit like chores and homework -- no way in hell I would ever have gotten into an Lguk camp. So for me, my fond memories of EQ are almost exclusively solo content (raptors in vanilla/kunark... charm kiting later on during Luclin/PoP). Now I'm a veteran going to college and Icouldpoopsock something pretty beastly if I wanted to but... y'know... pixels just don't seem as fucking cool anymore. Correlated: neither do games that set up such a stark divide between a guy like Xevy who can apply 80 hours a week compared to me.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's only applicable and there only has to be a concrete answer if one believes the devs have been doing things right these past few generations. Trying to nail down the answer and design a game around that answer is what's killing game design. How many games have we seen where the devs spend a TON of time and resources trying to design and engineer the perfect gaming experience, in perfect bite-sized chunks, so everyone is rewarded at a fair and predictable rate? Yeah, all of them in recent memory? And how's that working out?

The problem is the Xev-tards are still going to always 'win' in their own pathetic ways, especially now when everything is so controlled and predictable, because the devs need control to try to make everyone happy. Xev-holes are more tangibly winning, because if you run a dungeon, and it takes x amount of time to earn y amount of dungeon-currency, etc, guess what, now there's even less random chance and luck for the person who plays less. At least in a more open-world style system, you might sometimes get lucky, instead of being able to plot out your inferiority ahead of time.

Or, you make friends. I remember doing FBSS camps where every single person had theirs and we were just trying to help someone else. That doesn't happen any more, first because why would you know the people you're speed running a dungeon slot machine with? Then, if you did know them, their loot isn't your problem, what they buy with their hard-farmed currency is up to them since you're all earning it for the checking the same boxes.

I'm sorry your mom was a good parent and you didn't manage to make friends in a video game, but imagine that system now. Most modern MMO's you'll either a) be constantly rewarded to the point who fucking cares or b) be able to tangible see how fucking long and impossible it is going to be to grind out the requirements to get something you want.

In short, games will always give an advantage to the losers with nothing else to do but play the game. At least before there were other things to do, and those things weren't holding you by the cock 24/7 and still not being a very good tug job, and you still had a shot at getting lucky.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The problem is the Xev-tards are still going to always 'win' in their own pathetic ways, especially now when everything is so controlled and predictable, because the devs need control to try to make everyone happy. Xev-holes are more tangibly winning, because if you run a dungeon, and it takes x amount of time to earn y amount of dungeon-currency, etc, guess what, now there's even less random chance and luck for the person who plays less. At least in a more open-world style system, you might sometimes get lucky, instead of being able to plot out your inferiority ahead of time.

Or, you make friends. I remember doing FBSS camps where every single person had theirs and we were just trying to help someone else. That doesn't happen any more, first because why would you know the people you're speed running a dungeon slot machine with? Then, if you did know them, their loot isn't your problem, what they buy with their hard-farmed currency is up to them since you're all earning it for the checking the same boxes.
Wildstar currency wasn't dungeon based. It was a big slot machine just like every other game. Like EQ. Or did you not have any moonstone rings?

I ran every dungeon with friends helping them get X item or X weapon. And they can run one dungeon a day and get lucky. I don't understand, do you think Wildstar was LDON? It was not.

I much prefer Xevtard to Xevhole, if I get to pick.

Artifa

N00b
Wildstar didn't even have a "dungeon currency" until like 2 months ago. You had to actually go out and kill bosses to get items.

The crusade against MMO tropes is pretty entertaining though

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
EQ was pinata based, when the pinata was up you and a bunch of other kids rushed to hit it. Slot machines you reset them yourselves and do them over and over.

And I was speaking general game design. I never even got far enough into Wildstar to have specific issues with it's design. It sounded as forced, contrived and over-designed as every other game in the genre at this point.

You still playing, Xevtard? And why?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's only applicable and there only has to be a concrete answer if one believes the devs have been doing things right these past few generations. Trying to nail down the answer and design a game around that answer is what's killing game design. How many games have we seen where the devs spend a TON of time and resources trying to design and engineer the perfect gaming experience, in perfect bite-sized chunks, so everyone is rewarded at a fair and predictable rate? Yeah, all of them in recent memory? And how's that working out?

I'm sorry your mom was a good parent and you didn't manage to make friends in a video game, but imagine that system now. Most modern MMO's you'll either a) be constantly rewarded to the point who fucking cares or b) be able to tangible see how fucking long and impossible it is going to be to grind out the requirements to get something you want.

In short, games will always give an advantage to the losers with nothing else to do but play the game. At least before there were other things to do, and those things weren't holding you by the cock 24/7 and still not being a very good tug job, and you still had a shot at getting lucky.
Yeah, older games had tons of stuff to do! You could camp rare drops for hours on end.. or camp rare drops for hours on end. Oh yeah, there was raiding! Where the RNG meant that 3-4 people out of 30+ might get something useful, maybe!

What games have you played in the last decade that didn't have random dungeon/raid drops where you could get lucky? Yes they have tokens so that out of your 20/30/40 man raid, 3/4 or worse aren't getting jack shit for their time spent. Please tell me you are referencing WoW, or RIFT, or Aion, or LoTRO, or Wildstar, or Age of Conan, or TOR, or... I'll stop listing every fucking game that has come out ever that has random raid drops. Tokens are what people get/collect when they aren't getting rare drops, you tool. And guess what? The people with more time to spend will get more shit and faster than people who don't, because that's the funny thing about luck. Do something enough times with a chance of working and it will most likely work.

Guess what people get for not completing encounters in every game ever? Nothing. You still have to kill whatever the boss is. Except now, instead of 1-3 people (or none, yay druid loot) getting rewarded for killing a fight, 1-3 get something and everyone then makes progress. But only if they killed the mob.

Time was a factor back in old games as well. Don't have hours to spend at a camp? You log out for the day. Especially early-velious EQ. Even if you had friends, if something wasn't open, you either did -nothing- but sit around and wait for hours, or you logged off. Hell, old games specifically had time requirements. Can't stay for the whole 4 hour raid? Don't come. Can't camp FBSS for more than an hour? Don't come. It takes time to clear down shrooms, don't have that time+camping time? Don't come.

Yes, your one random experience with FBSS camping with friends means that it doesn't happen anymore. What has really happened, is that you haven't made friends in any games since then, so you don't get into similar situations. Instead of sitting on your ass camping FBSS for 3+ hours of moonstone rings, you run the dungeon again and again with the same group until you get your drop. This is literally every game since. It's camping, but instead of sitting, you clear the dungeon.

I'll never understand how someone can be so misinformed or have such completely wrong memories of a genre they claim to have played. This is like hearing Merlin talking about how games should only allow 1-2 classes with fast travel abilities, and his only experience is playing one with those abilities.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Spamming builders while moving is fixed by using the hold to continue cast combat option that has been there since launch, just wasn't on by default.

Carbine did some amazing things. The combat system is the best out there, the interrupt armor system makes interrupting dangerous abilities a group concern and not just "put a rogue on it lol." Telegraphs clearly show you where you can and can't stand, and where your attacks will hit. But you guys are not wrong. They didn't present the hold to continue casting and a myriad of other options to players. They fucked up a lot of ordinary things. Nothing new. MMO developers are so focused on coming up with the next big thing that they forget, the thing that will make their game have staying power in this industry is to do all of the little things right.

MMO players are fickle and when established game A and B do all the little things right, game C that comes along better have that. The QoL things that just nag at players. Just as an example, it has taken 6 months for Carbine to implement 2 hour trading of raid loot between players (in case of misloot).
Combat in this game was the worst out there, but you can have whatever opinion you want I can't tell you you're wrong.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I played somewhere between 40 and 80 hours a week.

And yes, Draegan was against this game immediately. That was my point. Some people were against the game before playing it just because they thought it was overhyped. Funnily, the same people just hype their next game which will never live up to it.
First time I played the game was in 2011. I was in beta or whatever a year or so before launch. The game got steadily worse as it got closer to launch. Combat went from tab target to telegraphs and more telegraphs to more spammy shit.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't play because my guild broke down with the Voodoo/Enigma DS merge. If I thought we had 40 good people who I liked to play with, or even 20, and they stayed I would still be playing. In fact we had some spots assured to us by Voodoo for their DS group and some of us said no thanks while others went elsewhere.

Draegan doesn't know anything about MMO's but how to try and profiteer off them.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
he does have a point, Wildstar combat was still absolute dog shit. It was just wow combat that they later added retardo level laser lightshow telegraphs on top of and a fake dodge key without redesigning the base mechanics. This was noticeable in beta but became much more apparent after i tried the game again after moving to japan and added latency into the mix.

ps no clue why people thought this game was hard? idk about raiding but like the leveling dungeons? did them all with random mouthbreathers.

Artifa

N00b
Freeform telegraphs are the same as wow tab-target combat? OK.
rolleyes.png

A fake dodge key? Not sure what you mean by that. Dodging works perfectly in this game.

At launch of FFXIV you could be strafing out of a telegraph while it was casting and still get hit by it because character position updates were done very infrequently. That's pretty retarded for a game with so little going on in combat to be intentionally bottle-necked by the engineers of the game. They've since improved it, i've heard, but I haven't been back to test it.

This game succeeded in blending action combat and fast paced movement, without that above garbage from FFXIV. You can walk out of a telegraph or dodge out, only be out of the area of effect for a fraction of a second, and you WON'T get hit by the attack. The responsiveness of the combat system is up there with wow, nothing else is even close. Oceanic players do have a right to complain, for sure, but as you said that's latency.

Wildstar had a two big problems that led to it's massive hemorrhaging of players before they even experienced the content.

1. Every class played like garbage 1-1-2-1-1-3 until you got to level 25 and opened up your first Tier 4. That's far too long to open up the interesting parts of your classes, because the Draegans have already quit by that point.

2. Raid attunement -was- too hard for the average, anti-social MMO player that doesn't want to join a guild. This has been changed since then and people are now able to derp their way into the first raid.

Those two things combined caused like 75% of the people that were interested in the game from devspeak videos to quit before they even got there themselves. The "HARDCORE" idea doesn't even hold up because the first 3 content patches were all solo content that doesn't help the hardcore players at all. Game was totally mismanaged, no clear direction from the studio as a whole.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'll never understand how someone can be so misinformed or have such completely wrong memories of a genre they claim to have played. This is like hearing Merlin talking about how games should only allow 1-2 classes with fast travel abilities, and his only experience is playing one with those abilities.
That's not nice.

I get it though, your sarcasm, hyperbole and assumptions were funny.

Older games had plenty to do, just like newer ones did. The difference is the stuff was just there, not a daily or achievement.

I never once stated or implied newer games don't have a RNG. You intentionally missed the point to show off with a Saturday night rant. The RNG isn't the point, the point is games are primarily designed around direct rewards these days, not indirect, and in that design there is too much control and creates too much expectation, so the playerbase because entitled, selfish, and petulant (somehow more than even EQ players ever were, which is quite amazing).

I just had an entire interaction with someone making the very point that people who play more will benefit more these days, and that because the rewards are so tangible these days so is that other person's benefit, and that's a detriment in current games, so don't try to use that point against me.

Time will always be a factor, the difference is that time is game-controlled now, not in the hands of players. Sure, people set up their own arbitrary measures on time expectations, but nothing in the game rigidly dictated anything. Now, devs try to design games so they're accessible to everyone in some way at all times, and it doesn't work. Because instead of looking for a group that has 5 hours to do something long, instead of looking for a group that has time for something 2 hours, things are designed so you'll often be doing 5 different 1 hour things over and over, because the game dictates it, tracks it, provides it, etc. Again, a lot of people may enjoy not really having to think or decide what they want to do, why, when, etc, but I personally really don't like everything so over-designed to the point I practically log in and a game gives me waypoints based on what I should be doing.

Not to mention, trying to say a 'don't come' mechanic existed in older games and is bad, isn't really helping whatever argument you're trying to make, considering EQ was open raiding for a long time, and it's the newer games where everything is over-tuned for specific amounts of players. Especially in this thread where they tried to bring 40 man raids back! I won't even bother making the argument that not everyone was a hardcore asshole in EQ, and plenty of guilds like mine had plenty of casual players making a raid a week, or having to leave early. We could handle it, because we weren't losing one person in a very rigidly set raid amount. Again, we were talking about general design and dungeons specifically.

Seriously, we're currently in the fucking AGE of spreadsheets, where someone can look at exact class makeup, targets, force online, and say exactly how long it should take and whether you're allowed to come or not. And you're going to bring up 'don't come' as relates to EQ as support of current design? That doesn't make much sense.

I brought up my FBSS experience because Xevy brought that singular experience up, so nice try and you're clearly projecting a lot so I understand I'm not really the one you're mad at, but really, fuck you.

spronk

FPS noob
as an exile whats the fastest way i can get to an auction house, is it level 14 or so at the end of the second zone? thayd or whatever the city is called? wanna sell whatever mystery gift my key gives me, figure getting some in game currency is a pretty good deal in case i come back after the game flips to f2p

Artifa

N00b
you can walk to the main town at any level, but following the quests will get you there around 14 yeah. also i think you have to sell those mystery box items in zone/trade chat, i don't think they can be put on the auction house yet.

Xevy

Log Wizard
as an exile whats the fastest way i can get to an auction house, is it level 14 or so at the end of the second zone? thayd or whatever the city is called? wanna sell whatever mystery gift my key gives me, figure getting some in game currency is a pretty good deal in case i come back after the game flips to f2p
The first AH you can get to should be in Thayd. It'll be accessible from one of the second starting zones.

I'm 100% serious in that I cannot take anyone in this thread's opinion seriously if they say Wild Star combat is the same as WoW combat. I'm not being pretentious, I'm being honest. They're two completely styles. WS is more Guild Wars meets Tera which a lot of combat enthusiasts enjoy. I still think a good percentage of the people who shit on WS are just butt-mad they have "cartoony" graphics instead of super reflective, shiny korean garbage mmo graphics.

I don't understand what Popsicle is getting at. I think he wants the community of EQ, but doesn't realize that this current MMO setup only allows for that type of community in resurrected F2P games and dying older games. By having a sub I think WS tried to make it more exclusive so people would make an active decision about playing this game rather than having it be filler. Ultimately it failed for a number of reasons. I don't think we'll see a community like EQ ever again and trying to repeat that is setting ourselves up for disappointment. Unless you want an MMO with 500 people cap servers. Then maybe you have a shot.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's not nice.

I get it though, your sarcasm, hyperbole and assumptions were funny.

Older games had plenty to do, just like newer ones did. The difference is the stuff was just there, not a daily or achievement.

I never once stated or implied newer games don't have a RNG. You intentionally missed the point to show off with a Saturday night rant. The RNG isn't the point, the point is games are primarily designed around direct rewards these days, not indirect, and in that design there is too much control and creates too much expectation, so the playerbase because entitled, selfish, and petulant (somehow more than even EQ players ever were, which is quite amazing).

I just had an entire interaction with someone making the very point that people who play more will benefit more these days, and that because the rewards are so tangible these days so is that other person's benefit, and that's a detriment in current games, so don't try to use that point against me.

Time will always be a factor, the difference is that time is game-controlled now, not in the hands of players. Sure, people set up their own arbitrary measures on time expectations, but nothing in the game rigidly dictated anything. Now, devs try to design games so they're accessible to everyone in some way at all times, and it doesn't work. Because instead of looking for a group that has 5 hours to do something long, instead of looking for a group that has time for something 2 hours, things are designed so you'll often be doing 5 different 1 hour things over and over, because the game dictates it, tracks it, provides it, etc. Again, a lot of people may enjoy not really having to think or decide what they want to do, why, when, etc, but I personally really don't like everything so over-designed to the point I practically log in and a game gives me waypoints based on what I should be doing.

Not to mention, trying to say a 'don't come' mechanic existed in older games and is bad, isn't really helping whatever argument you're trying to make, considering EQ was open raiding for a long time, and it's the newer games where everything is over-tuned for specific amounts of players. Especially in this thread where they tried to bring 40 man raids back! I won't even bother making the argument that not everyone was a hardcore asshole in EQ, and plenty of guilds like mine had plenty of casual players making a raid a week, or having to leave early. We could handle it, because we weren't losing one person in a very rigidly set raid amount. Again, we were talking about general design and dungeons specifically.

Seriously, we're currently in the fucking AGE of spreadsheets, where someone can look at exact class makeup, targets, force online, and say exactly how long it should take and whether you're allowed to come or not. And you're going to bring up 'don't come' as relates to EQ as support of current design? That doesn't make much sense.

I brought up my FBSS experience because Xevy brought that singular experience up, so nice try and you're clearly projecting a lot so I understand I'm not really the one you're mad at, but really, fuck you.
Lets start at the top. There was no hyperbole, sarcasm, or assumptions. Everything I stated were facts.

Older games had shit to do, unless your version of old is WoW Vanilla. EQ/DAOC/FFXI, which were the "older" games that everyone mentions (if you are talking Merdian or something else, I have no idea what to say to you. Hug UO more?) had jack and shit to do outside of a very small subset of actions. Either you were raiding and killing shit, or you were leveling an alt, or running dungeons/camping shit to get items. Which, literally, every game ever has had and will continue to have. Older games offered absolutely -nothing- that modern games do not offer, and you stating anything similar is you simply not knowing what you are talking about. That is a fact, by the way.

Games are not designed around direct reward. The token system is a patch for the majority of any group feeling like they wasted their time. That is not direct reward, that is a consolation prize in every world. The playerbase doesn't become entitled because they get a timer to an item; they know that they aren't being fucked with if they get something after x amount of attempts that is most likely -still- not best in slot or anything even close. If you had actually played any of the games you think do this, you would know you are completely wrong 100% of the time. This is a favorite and completely wrong argument of the mmo hipster crowd who simply don't know what the fuck they are talking about like to parrot. You literally cannot be more wrong on this, and that's not an opinion.

I'm glad you had an interaction with someone who refuted the statement " Xev-holes are more tangibly winning, because if you run a dungeon, and it takes x amount of time to earn y amount of dungeon-currency, etc, guess what, now there's even less random chance and luck for the person who plays less. At least in a more open-world style system, you might sometimes get lucky, instead of being able to plot out your inferiority ahead of time." because if you had ever actually played any MMORPGS ever, you would know that luck and chance play a massive fucking part of you getting anything in any game, ever. Those players can still get lucky, and do, in every game released since whatever heyday you think existed, because those mechanics still exist in every game ever. You are just too retarded to see this point, which is fine; retards have their rights too.

Timing is still player controlled, and for you to say otherwise just shows your complete inability to understand what the words you type mean. Grouping mechanics previously were "do you have enough time? no? Fuck you" and now they are "Can you run something and complete it, within the time constraints? No? Fuck you." This hasn't changed at all in the years between when you apparently played an mmo and when you read about one. Your concepts of "If you don't have 5 hours, here's 5 different 1 hour things" has absolutely no place in reality. What they have done, is create levels of content that require various amounts of time. Big raids still take shitloads of time. Small dungeon adventures don't take nearly as long. Except for now you know what you are getting into without having to fuck around all day waiting for an invite. This is bad... how? It isn't overdesigned. It is offering various targets for various groups. Guess what, cupcake. You can still spend 5 hours doing something in modern mmos and not be punished for it, in any game ever. In fact, your ability to do so increases your power just as much as being able to spend 5 hours in the "old" games increased it. You are wrong, and laughably so.

Lets talk EQ, since you brought it up again. Time was always a factor, and saying otherwise just makes you look like an idiot. My argument that you failed to even come close to addressing was that time constraints existed in previous games, so developing around time constraints means little, since the idea was already there. Them developing 30 minute dungeons? Means jack and shit, because the mechanic difference between the "open" dungeons of EQ (Yeah, alright dude) and instances is that people running instances are generally doing something while camping a static spawn in EQ means they sit on their ass 90% of the time. I played a SK and I pulled in every group I ever worked with, so I know exactly what I'm talking about. Them taking control out of the player's hands is just you being salty that modern games have moved away from the camping mechanic. Which is fine and you can be salty, but it doesn't make your position any less retarded when it comes to a game sense.

The "Don't Come" mechanic existed, and if you are posting from the position of a main tank or cleric, fuck right the hell off. Your opinion means shit in those cases. If you are a DPS, I'm glad you had a permagroup that waited for you to log on and kicked people to make room for you or left an empty spot just in case you would log in. By the way? That shit didn't happen for 99% of the playerbase. Those other players who weren't in your unique position or one of those classes? Yeah, they waited hours, and weighed their time spent in the game on "Should I log in if I'm not going to get a group?" or not. I can't even see how this is an arguable thing; it literally happened every day during the heyday of EQ's career.

EQ was "open raiding" for the first raids it had, ie, Vox and Naggy. Every other raid after that sure as hell wasn't open. Yes, you -could- bring 100 players to a 30 player event. It didn't magically change the amount of loot that dropped. Even EQ was optimized for specific raid sizes, regardless of how many people you brought. Unless you are making the argument that EQ devs had no fucking idea what they were doing, in which case I'd agree with you. Modern raids (Oh yeah, EQ had capped raids in 2003. How old are we talking here, son?) still reward the same amount of loot for increasing numbers of players, it is just "better" loot these days. Not "only loot" as it was in EQ's heyday. Also, dude... open being purely player max is a stupid metric, and I hope you know that. In basically every mainstream game today, you can join open raids to get loot. This is a real thing, and if you had played anything after EQ1, you would know that.

You not realizing that people used spreadsheets and exact science when working with EQ raiding just shows your ignorance. I wish Furor or Thott or... literally any guild leader ever would stop in to say how retarded you are, but I'll go ahead and just do it for them. You have no fucking idea what you are talking about, period. You must have literally never raided ever or at least never raided current content as it applies to everquest.

Seriously dude, you could not be more wrong on so many points. Dumar, is this you?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't understand what Popsicle is getting at. I think he wants the community of EQ....
I'm talking game mechanics, and you're on about how you think I'm saying some shit about EQ communities. Most of us still have our EQ communities in guilds we play these games in, often from EQ. Sometimes I swear some of you fuckers have argued for/again the same shit for so long one of the reasons new games suck so bad is nobody has any critical thinking skills anymore. I discuss modern game mechanics, and that's equated to Merlin wanting cock-block travel because he played a porting class. I post about modern game mechanics, and somehow that turns into a cut-and-paste defense that we just can't have EQ communities anymore.

Like I said, most of us HAVE our communities and most of us agree the ultimate cock-block mechanics in older generation games aren't feasible. That has fuck-all to do with a company over-designing the ever-living-shit out of a game trying to make everything rewarding and everyone happy and everything trackable and everything part of a daily and everything an 'experience' it presents you in the perfectly engineer chunk where everything is rewarded like Caprisun's at a children's soccer match where everyone wins just a little all the time and gives you a completion percentage and you spend so much time looking at the fucking ground for telegraphs and your UI to tell you where to go next and what to do and why you should do it (because you haven't max that currency/rep/points/whatever yet according to the UI!) that it's like we're playing games in Russia, where you don't play game, but game play you.