Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The reviewer was pretty dumb. Wildstar has been essentially advertising their game as WOW++. 1.0 gameplay with modern advancements. The best part is that they have a GW2 combat system which I really loved about GW2.

I get the complaints about the same old themepark gameplay, but I don't think Wildstar ever hid that. Top that off about complaining about controls...? It's standard MMORPG controls, what else was he expecting?

Sounds like a dude who didn't do his homework and was expecting something different.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
That was literally the worst review I have ever read. Valid concerns and points I would love to hear, but I really and truly suspect that if you gave a 10 year old the subject of reviewing a game, it would come out something close to this one. He started by bitching about the ease of the game, and that he wasn't allowed to play the unannounced classes and races (WTF?), followed it up by saying he had seen all this a million times as a veteran of MMO's, and ended with at LEAST 50% of the article about how much he hated the controls, and how he couldn't change them, and how mad he got because he failed a jump puzzle over and over and... IT'S THIS GODAMN CONTROLLERS FAULT!

I'm actually glad I read that, because its one of those things thats really funny because it's meant to be taken seriously.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I wait for reviews from people on this message board and friends. I don't trust a single game review site.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
Massively in particular has a highly questionable overall quality of content. It's a useful aggregate site because they cover pretty much the gamut of MMO-like experiences, but I just skim the article listings and then go to the original source they're covering for content. I don't think I've ever read an editorial of theirs I didn't find laughable.

Dr Ent_sl

shitlord
Probably not news here, but:

o80plZ0.png

Trading a Final Fantasy XIV beta account (P3 starts on the 14th) for a Wildstar beta account. pm me if interested.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The reviewer was pretty dumb. Wildstar has been essentially advertising their game as WOW++. 1.0 gameplay with modern advancements. The best part is that they have a GW2 combat system which I really loved about GW2.

I get the complaints about the same old themepark gameplay, but I don't think Wildstar ever hid that. Top that off about complaining about controls...? It's standard MMORPG controls, what else was he expecting?

Sounds like a dude who didn't do his homework and was expecting something different.
WildStar's combat is no where near as refined as GW2. You can dodge via double-tap, and you can move while using some skills. Its better than WoW, but not quite as good as GW2 (yet).

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Sounds like you want RPG w/ multiplayer not a MMO.
Not necessarily. I like the graphics from that clip, and I prefer small groups or 10 man content. That pretty much defines the endgame of SWTOR, WOW, and various other MMOs now. I'm more looking for killer small or single group fantasy content with cutting edge shiny graphics.

Honestly, I'd rather play 9 hours of a game with graphics a la The Division with one well designed huge sprawling dungeon with a single group then 3 months of WOW 2.0 or another MMO with static repeatable quests, farming mats, dailies, and themepark environments.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not necessarily. I like the graphics from that clip, and I prefer small groups or 10 man content. That pretty much defines the endgame of SWTOR, WOW, and various other MMOs now. I'm more looking for killer small or single group fantasy content with cutting edge shiny graphics.

Honestly, I'd rather play 9 hours of a game with graphics a la The Division with one well designed huge sprawling dungeon with a single group then 3 months of WOW 2.0 or another MMO with static repeatable quests, farming mats, dailies, and themepark environments.
Well to be blunt, given we knew what style the graphics were how long ago and it will have 40 man raids and other usual mmo content, i can probably safely say this isn't your game :p Yet here you are.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Well, the game Gecko wants is not Wildstar for sure, but I would love to play his game all the same. Man, why isn't there an amazingly gorgeous co-op multiplayer dungeon crawling game? I didn't even know I wanted that. I do.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Because only like, 300 people would be able to run it. Unless you have a hugely scale-able engine.

Since WoW and LoL, most games (especially multi-player MMOs) won't reach for the high end of visuals anymore because they want most people to be able to play. Honestly, I'm okay with it. I like good art styles.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Not to mention that The Division took years in development for that 9 hours(I'm guessing this was a made-up number?) of gameplay. Are you ok with 9 hours of a super awesome 10 man dungeon...every 2 years? Obviously this isn't an apples to apples comparison, so it's kind of a whack argument anyway. My point is that MMOs are meant to be played over long periods of time without a somewhat regular release of new content and as such, you're not going to see the detail of a high-budget single-player(or non-MMO multiplayer) game in them

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was just able to sign up for the beta again, even though I already did. Is there no check on if someone signed up before?

And do the stress tests consist of invites sent out to people who signed up for beta I assume?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Well to be blunt, given we knew what style the graphics were how long ago and it will have 40 man raids and other usual mmo content, i can probably safely say this isn't your game :p Yet here you are.
You're ignoring the simple fact that the game I want does not exist, isn't in development, and likely won't be built while the WOW model is the de facto choice of teams, new and old to copy for fantasy MMOs. I enjoyed WOW, and I'll likely have fun playing Wildstar as it appears to be made by a good group. I like a lot of features of this game. I'm just not having any unreal expectations of playing it for more than two months, and I'm disappointed that so much of it seems derivative.

The Division is supposedly a 'Massively Multiplayer' game so I'm not quite getting the argument that you can't render enough people on the screen for a fantasy variant or that there is only nine hours of gameplay.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Was just able to sign up for the beta again, even though I already did. Is there no check on if someone signed up before?

And do the stress tests consist of invites sent out to people who signed up for beta I assume?
That's thought to be so people can't fish for emails. Your beta application is submitted, don't worry.

The stress test invites aren't all out yet. They seem to do things in waves. I've not received mine and I was in the last few.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
"while themoney making modelis the de facto choice of teams"

Fixed.
Not sure that fix is correct, because it hasnt any made any team money after Blizzard =)

Anyway I'm in the same boat, I'd prefer to play 'Gecko's Game', just like I'd love EVE in a fantasy dressing. Not on the horizon though so we make due, and between TESO and Wildstar I'm gonna bet on this horse here. A well-executed WoW clone would certainly be wort the box price and/or time to level through, anything after that is bonus.