Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, that is disappointing. I mean, you have to have some melee classes in the future, but a claymore seems unlikely. I think tabula rasa only had a staff wielder as a tank for a melee unit, and he was still kinda hybrid. I think TR started out as space fantasy, with jedi-ish sword wielders and stuff, but that all got cut before beta. IIRC, it's been a while.

I'd prefer more "space marines" than "future vikings" myself.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Now this thread feels like sitting at the dinner table with your family after your mom walked in on you masturbating.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
To me the swords all looked just a step up from the silly vibroswords or training lightsaber in tor. I'd rather have like a marine with a chainsaw too. Or a lightsaber knock off.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
They could at least give some reason for it, other than the obvious "well, swords and stuff are cool". The Dune universe had lasgun/shield interactions as a decent explanation for why melee combat still exists. Star Wars even handwaved it away with magic... err, I mean The Force. Star Trek sure had Kirk participating in a lot of random grappling combat for no real good reason, but at least they were still being armed with phasers for away missions instead of battle-axes.

Really though, I find it ridiculous, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I like fantasy stuff, and the fantasy tradition fits in with the DIKU-mud descendant gameplay most modern MMOs fall under a lot better than scifi does. Practically from the beginning, fantasy has been about acquiring magical items, and fighting against morally unambiguous bad guys, and starting as a lowly farmhand and ending up saving the world, all of which slot neatly into MMO tropes.

Scifi as a genre is more nuanced, frequently involves more politicking, and if you're trying to be somewhat realistic, is all about either projectile weapon combat, which fits more into a shooter game, or massive space battles which are more along the lines of a Wing Commander space sim or Master of Orion style 4x game than a WoW style game.

I had asked a question but either someone deleted it or never got posted.

What is the Max-cap for Qwerty to get negative nets?
Is it like a terabyte in size?
Will he then have the world record?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I must be getting old, but can someone please explain the appeal of this game for me? It's like a weird fantasy/space hybrid kinda like SW:TOR. Combat looks like TSW but mixed kinda with WoW. Except it doesn't have TSWs amazing class-less level-less skill/advancement system nor it's really awesome quest lines. Just bear asses and AOE telepaths. Is it the player housing? Or goofy setting? I just don't understand the appeal at all.

not a troll, serious question.

I must be getting old, but can someone please explain the appeal of this game for me? It's like a weird fantasy/space hybrid kinda like SW:TOR. Combat looks like TSW but mixed kinda with WoW. Except it doesn't have TSWs amazing class-less level-less skill/advancement system nor it's really awesome quest lines. Just bear asses and AOE telepaths. Is it the player housing? Or goofy setting? I just don't understand the appeal at all.

not a troll, serious question.
My take is it is going to be Sci Fi Wow with that wow art style you either love or hate.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
Echoing what other people said, it looks like it's space-WoW with a more active combat system, and I enjoyed WoW for long enough that it's worth the box price. I don't actually expect it to have much longevity for me, but I expect the climb to level cap with a character or two will be fun. After that I'll probably cancel my subscription until new single group content gets added, they change their raid sizes, or I somehow miraculously find a 20 man raid group that works with my schedule and competency requirements.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It hasn't been released and gravely disappointed us yet
Speak for yourself, 2 hard factions are grave enough. Echoing the opinion that a well done clone that adds and improves upon the model will be worth checking out, even if you drop it after 50-100 hours.

althuna_sl

shitlord
i thoguht tsw was cool, if they can improve on that it would be great. Only problem with tsw was lack of content, like swtor.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wildstar doesn't worry me with content density and availability. What worries me about the game is another game where I spend 100 hours on the quest treadmill to end game where I end up with either dungeon or raid grinding.

I can dismiss the boredom of a quest hub game if the classes are fun, but for me, they appear to be very bland. Yay I'm in space and I currently have two different mages, a warrior and a rogue to pick from. Yawn.

Hopefully the combat is entertaining enough to keep me interested long enough. The game seems to be worth the price of a box, but I don't know how long it can keep a person interested.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Wildstar doesn't worry me with content density and availability. What worries me about the game is another game where I spend 100 hours on the quest treadmill to end game where I end up with either dungeon or raid grinding.

I can dismiss the boredom of a quest hub game if the classes are fun, but for me, they appear to be very bland. Yay I'm in space and I currently have two different mages, a warrior and a rogue to pick from. Yawn.

Hopefully the combat is entertaining enough to keep me interested long enough. The game seems to be worth the price of a box, but I don't know how long it can keep a person interested.
I have to agree with the classes we know about being somewhat lackluster, Especially the warrior and stalker...which are really just a typical warrior and rogue, Esper also, but seem to have some personality to it. Spellslinger while it's a mage too, has a lot of personality with dual guns. Although why the hell didn't they just make him use bullets and/or lasers instead of magic is kind of beyond me.

I am hoping the rumored engineer and medic offer something more interesting.

In the end though, I can live with that if the combat, setting, questing etc...is fun and interesting enough. I love the setting they are going for, and the personality of the game as seen in their video, if that carries into the game, it will definitely help gloss over the bland classes.

I've said it since the beginning, this just seem to be an improved WoW with GW2 combat...which appeals to me. I hope it has enough content to keep me busy for a while, if not I hope it will be good enough for me to level 1 or 2 character. I had 3 level 50 in SWTOR, 3 level 50 in Rift, so I'm not that hard to please for a minimum of fun.
smile.png

althuna_sl

shitlord
ye the quest grind and then "the game starts at level 50" or whatever needs to die. I want the game to start at level 1 like it does in good mmos. EQ next needs to be like that too.