Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dick measuring contest? Why does me critiquing a product mean that I'm pushing an agenda or backing a horse? I'm not measuring my TESO COCK against your WILDSTAR COCK. They are both short, narrow, and bent to the left. TESO is too brown, and Wildstar is too purple, and they are both totally unsatisfying.
Landmarks cock is juuuuust right!

Xevy

Log Wizard
I've got to disagree with Draegan on the old crafting and Milestones. Was not my jam. You'd basically find sword with "Proc absorb shield!" and you'd take that from your sword and put it in your current sword. Now you get a weapon crafter that has recipe for "proc absorb shield!" tell them what stats to craft and they craft it. I guess it takes less discovery out of the game, but you also had to salvage the other stats from items and you only got one chip per item and the item poofed. And then you were running around with 15 different chips for 4 specials and only 4 stats, but three different LEVELS of stats, in your inventory. Was annoying as fuck.

Milestones were cool, but they were the only type of character customization at the time. No Amps. So you basically just stacked brutality to get the effect at +200 brutality that made your whirlwind increase attack power by 3% per person hit or whatever they fuck. Really pigeon-holed everyone. You weren't going to get 200 moxie/200 brutality because you'd just get some lame +attack power bonus and +critical bonus and 0 actual effect because you'd have to have wayyyy more stat points in that category.

I'd be fine if they added Milestones back in, and in a way they do iirc, you just don't get the effects. You just get bonuses that increase the more of that stat you get.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Totally anecdotal on my part, but of about the dozen people I've personally known in the beta, it has been the same story - 3-4 weeks, and then just generally losing interest and fading out of it.
Makes sense, when up until what 3 weeks ago or so, the max you could get was 36 and then it was like ok..

Edit: It definitely feels like the developers are being pushed by execs to get this game out. The tone of the developers didn't give much indication that closed beta was ending soon. No one really expected it, especially because they JUST released a major patch that broke a lot of things. It seems that they're worried about something, their metrics say people are quitting beta after about 4 weeks according to the forums.
Based a reply by scooter on the forums this is exactly what happened. He pretty much all but states the exces, sales and marketing team are worried about beta testers burning themselves out and/or getting free rides. So thus they went to this weekend crap.

Which makes absolutely serious business sense. Who gives a damn if you have to "eat" the small percent your closed beta testers make up. Even if it was the entire CB 32+ population , its a small drop in the bucket compared to future potentials. To Throw numbers out, why care about the 5k or so level 32+ players in beta testing your content for free, when you have 1 million + potential players out there, who will drop the game as fast as they bought it if your mid to end game content is not up to snuff.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Telegraphs are very responsive in comparison to FF as well. This game just seems to have a poor review process. Every major patch introduces a large number of bugs, optimization issues (poorly implemented addOns being fixed by players, not developers), and class imbalance. In terms of bugs, there have been countless bugs that make me question how tightly coupled their systems are. e.g. servers crashing because people are using "bugged" abilities. Then, there's the camera being bugged this patch while you're mounted. Class imbalance seems to lack a mathematical foundation; Engineers in PvP kill people simultaneously in < 5s. There's been new imbalances like this every patch. Itemization is all about specials right now. e.g. Level 40 blue helms are better than level 50 epic helms if they have "concentration" which boosts all your stats + 40/60 on proc, with very high uptime.

Then there's class design where you never have a reason to click spells in a different order no matter what you're fighting. No interesting mechanics, just a 3-4 button priority list.

For the pvpers... warplots are terrible. They essentially are large zerg fights where aoe fields are king. There's little incentive to breaking off and attacking points in small groups. Whoever wins the zerg fights, will split and capture the nodes before they go back to the zerg. I enjoy their arena design, you have multiple lives and TTK is relatively low. This makes for an interesting meta-game on whether or not to accept your res to try and prevent snowballing. Battlegrounds are standard fare.

Overall, Wildstar does a decent job in laying the base for a relatively large MMORPG (arenas/warplots/bgs for pvp and raids/adventures/heroics for pve at launch), but they suffer from trying to do too much at once. All of the game systems need polished, but they break too much with each fix. It's unfortunate too because I love the transparency the developers have; we have the class designer doing open world pvp with our pvp circle. I'll probably still buy the game to fill the void between MoP and WoD, but not as a long term commitment.
Nice read, thanks for that. Definitely pre-ordering to see what's going on there and what they possibly can/can't do in 3 months time.

combat faster, leveling slower.
Ditto.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
This game is the only MMO that I've had fun playing in the last 4 or 5 years. Granted, I'm not a faggot who plays every single MMO that comes out. But mainly what I ask for from an MMO is for the combat to be fun, the content be challenging and rewarding, a focus on the endgame, and the character customization feel meaningful, and this game checks those boxes for me.
really? what the fuck I can say im not a faggot that plays every MMO but everyone ive played has been better than this literally.

first off the customization is fucking balls, the combat is nothing more than WoW 1.5 with telegraphs when you really get down to it, this is not an action combat MMO if you've played one then you know it.

the classes are uninspired and boring, and what proof do you have of this content being "challenging and rewarding" if you haven't learned by now what they say and actually deliver are two different things wake up, its all going to be shit the masses can attend and see, cool the content may be a giant cock block that only super elitist can achieve and see for 3 months, then they will bleed little timmys left and right and switch the game to carebare.

the divison is my saving grace.

Del

Vyemm Raider
really? what the fuck I can say im not a faggot that plays every MMO but everyone ive played has been better than this literally.

first off the customization is fucking balls, the combat is nothing more than WoW 1.5 with telegraphs when you really get down to it, this is not an action combat MMO if you've played one then you know it.

the classes are uninspired and boring, and what proof do you have of this content being "challenging and rewarding" if you haven't learned by now what they say and actually deliver are two different things wake up, its all going to be shit the masses can attend and see, cool the content may be a giant cock block that only super elitist can achieve and see for 3 months, then they will bleed little timmys left and right and switch the game to carebare.

the divison is my saving grace.
I'm sorry that you're taking my opinion so hard. Maybe you should go find a tissue.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Run-on, Sentence! Run!

Also this game has more potential and is better AT THIS POINT than probably at least 1/3 the mmo games I've played in my MMOoftheMonth career.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Wildstar's main problem is combat gameplay to be honest, it's like playing endgame WoW with only level 1-20 skills. Fighting really feels lackluster, there is a lot of "meh" skills which don't interact with each other and rotations are boring. It's like they wanted to develop the game around WoW combat gameplay and got cursed by the "action MMO" voodoo sorcery where "aiming", "dodging", and "limited skillbars" are the new holy trinity.

I also think Wildstar will easily get faceraped and get forced around F2P once WoW's WoD will be out. This game screams too much "WoW Lite", raiding still looks and feels way better in WoW and warplots are just a glorified Alterac with Dungeon Keeper features.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I think Wildstar's main problem is that it's been in beta for almost a year now and is still not a fun game to play. In fact it's terrible. It is a really bad game.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
If I have to summarize Wildstar based upon everyone's responses in this thread...

- The classes are completely hit or miss. You either like them or you hate them. Period. WoW spoiled all of us so this will make or break the entire game for you since it's general design is similar to WoW's.

- The game used to be better early in development, but the Carbine dev's aren't known to have any balls. They cave pretty easily. Doesn't matter if it's something based on game design or debating how many polygons dem female breasts should have. The devs are grade A pussies and come off as too love-loving or easy going to go back on their reiterations. Quite frankly, they aren't much smarter than the masses of retards complaining about bullshit, so the WoW general forum hive mind has finally won out and Wildstar has suffered some.

- Instances and raids are fun. Difficulty is subjective but the gear checks seem to be in place for raid progression. I'm going to wager a guess ahead of time and predict the average level of skill in the Wildstar community won't be very high, so that may make raiding suffer from Wrath of the Lich King raiding syndrome later on down the line.

- Battlegrounds type PvP lacks direction and feels pretty senseless. If thats your thing, then you will enjoy mindless PvP in there. Battlegrounds might be more fun later on. On the other hand, Warplots are an utter mess. If anything, ESO DOES have some large scale PvP to speak of so it does have the upper hand there for sure.

- It's themepark to a T and leveling is considered slower by MMO standards. it's similar to how vanilla WoW was when the devs wanted to beat your rotations or repetitions down in your brain in hopes that you will be decent by max level. It may even be slower than Vanilla WoW's leveling. If you hate the classes, the leveling will be unbearable. If you don't, then it's no big.

- The game is very formulaic in several aspects (tutorial, zone progression, skill progression, etc etc.) Other than paths adding a little something different to the mix, replayability through having multiple alts is shit. I don't consider this game to be a good game for having multiple alts. You can even technically harvest most common mats while not having that particular gathering trade skill.

- Most people talking about combat have opinions all over the fucking place and there's really no correlation or consensus. Personally I think the telegraphs and skills are extremely responsive and the combat is better than GW2. I say this because there are actual roles in the game and there is white damage. White damage puts a timer on every mob encounter which is a good thing. If you hate the classes you will most likely hate the combat. If you are fighting mobs lower than you, the game can be pretty faceroll with simple positioning (by lining up your skills to aoe grind or rack up double/triple/quad kill.) If you are fighting mobs higher than you. the combat has a lot more meaning and you need to pay attention. The game has TOO MANY quests early on so it's easy to fall into the faceroll grind if you are a completionist type that wants to clear all of the quest AND path content. You can argue that Tera did combat better though.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
That was last week.

He even went to make this post in the titanfall thread for some reason after making that post:

Titanfall - Page 39
I just happened to stumble on that
smile.png
guess it was my lucky day !

BnS is never coming to the us
frown.png
ive come to terms

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I cant see what people see in this. Ive been trying since some friendly soul gave me a beta key but this just isnt any fun. I even managed to meet up with a few friends who were stoked and got keys for this and they all played for one weekend or two and quit.

I cannot say what is wrong with it, but its just not fun - but then again i still play WoW so logging into this feels like starting over in WoW without the wow-factor.