Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Dodge rolling out of a telegraph provides you with a buff. Sure, it's a small buff and most of the time it's more optimal to just sprint out of the telegraph, especially when you're already plowing through mobs. The point of the roll is to provide you with a small reward for doing things correctly.

It could be worse: they could have tied the dodge roll to your stamina bar and made you unable to effectively use it while sprinting. See: ESO.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Dodging is just pointless, you can walk out of telegraphs, or sprint, and mobs don't give a fuck they can just stick in melee range wailing on you while you roll around like a jackass. Maybe they intended it to be a useless but neat "feature" like double jumping but either way it has little to do with combat enjoyment and effectiveness.

One thing that bothers me about rolling is just how lazy of design it is giving every class the same roll instead of unique mechanics, such a wasted opportunity.
How fucking stupid is this post, you dodge faster than you walk or run out of telegraphs, ergo it serves the exact purpose it should. Needing invulnerability frames on it makes it lazy stupid shit like guild wars where you have to INVINCIROLL through mechanics rather than actually avoid them.

How fucking stupid is this post, you dodge faster than you walk or run out of telegraphs, ergo it serves the exact purpose it should. Needing invulnerability frames on it makes it lazy stupid shit like guild wars where you have to INVINCIROLL through mechanics rather than actually avoid them.
"Invincirolling" doesn't stop people from getting their shit stomped in in GW2 either because dodging needs to refresh. Exactly the same system they use in Wildstar to limit rolling so its not like they don't have methods to make it work.

In any case no where did I say they should add invincibility or anything of the sort just that I concur that dodging in Wildstar is a shitty mechanic.

Syia_sl

shitlord
1.) Telegraphs are a mess

In large scale anything, they create a significant visual clutter. This includes telegraphs you won't ever turn off (enemy damage telegraphs). Hit registration on telegraphs were bugged for half a year (fixed now?). A lot of interesting abilities are rendered useless by having an "inferior" telegraph by being too short or too narrow. Also, as personal preference, I find it annoying how you can only really circle-strafe as a caster.

2 & 3) No invulnerability frame on dodge roll, dodge roll distance is too short

I don't prefer invulnerability frames, but dashing is an afterthought outside of saving them to get out of knockdowns. From a PVP perspective, there used to be the "Air Dash" mechanic (Wildstar BETA Super Dashing - Double Jump + Dodge Roll (Wildstar Dodging Bug/Exploit?) - YouTube) that made moving around interesting. e.g. Stalkers had 3 dash tokens, which was really useful for their small hit box and the distance actually got you out of telegraphs. Dashing in its current iteration can only evade narrow telegraphs; Warrior and Medic telegraphs still wreck you. For PVE, you can walk out of any telegraph without sprint.

4) Big telegraphs are king.

For PvP, it's significantly easier to land large "block" style telegraphs. They hit just as hard/harder than skill-shots (True Shot). Spellslingers don't hit harder than medics/warriors (they hit for significantly less) on their burst with harder to aim abilities.

5) sprint/daze are lame mechanics

Everyone that doesn't have "cannot be dazed" AMPs rides a one way ticket to the melee-train if they get hit once. It also promotes me putting up stupid undispellable DOTs on targets to keep them permanently dazed. Sprint is a mechanic that lets melee stick on ranged at no penalty. In the past, I used to dot people and run in circles healing (Esper) until my innate came back up. Now melee builds run faster than casters and can't be dazed.

6) bad breakout game-play

I'll hold making a drastic opinion until I see the changes to breakout mechanics. I don't think many people that I played with enjoyed any of them. F-spamming out of stuns was the worst. Yet, subdue and knockdowns have been crazy too. Battlegrounds are a great place to get knocked down and be dead before your roll is finished.

7) Warplots and Battlegrounds were telegraph nightmares

With respect to 1), Warplots and Battlegrounds are mostly unavoidable zergs of telegraph damage. You'll die before you can use "breakout" mechanics against geared players. In general, Warplots and Battlegrounds were hastily implemented. The map layouts promotes people running around in stacked groups to do objectives. This isn't very interesting game play.

8) Wildstar has a wide breadth of features, but none of them are polished enough to be great.

I exaggerated a bit. There are some solid things about Wildstar.

Warplots - Not close to polished enough to be enjoyable. Mostly at the fault of how PVP works in a telegraph style game.
Battlegrounds - Standard map types with little interesting terrain features/side objectives.
Arenas - I enjoy how fast paced they are and the multiple-lives concept of snowballing people.
User Interface - Minimal customization, a long history of bugs, and poorly implemented (performance issues). Hoping UI 2.0 fixes all of this. There are some great fans working on developing their own interfaces.
Class design - Run of the mill "safe" design with a lot of abilities in every tree that will never be touched by anyone optimizing their characters.
Adventures - The end game adventures are long "kill quests" style dungeons (Crimelords).
Raids - I only did one boss. I like Wildstar bosses, but they're pretty easy so far.
Runes/specials/secondary stats - Needs a large amount of balancing. Tons of excessively strong specials exist.
Crafting - It's there. It's mostly a casual system and there's not much interesting about it for avid crafters.
Leveling - 1-50 is a World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade style grind where most of the quest are kill quests. This is especially true level 30 and on.
Lore - There's not much to pull you into the world. The heroes we're supposed to care about (Deadeye, Victor Lazarin, Mondo Zax, ...) are all throughout the zones, but we're never given a reason to like them. Maybe the lore log is full of interesting stuff, but the presentation outside of it is poor.
Group content/side quests - Kill big bad mob #2037 with a buddy.
Housing - This is pretty awesome. The best housing in a game that I've played. I've met people with some really creative designs.

The patching system always implements the craziest bugs (long live the crate). Bugs pass through internal testing as if there was no internal testing at all.

Wildstar is mostly what everyone else says it is; It's a World of Warcraft style MMORPG. I think the combat and class design will prevent the game from being a huge success. However, I commend Carbine on their efforts to get all of the modern features of an MMORPG in at launch. I'm sure issues with polish and depth are largely due to their time schedule. They also haven't had time to "mature" and learn from their faults like Blizzard has. There are a lot of great developers working on the game and I appreciate how open they have been to players. If you're willing to play through their growing pains, I'm sure there is fun to be had and that the game will improve with time.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind that its a WOW style MMO. The problem is, it isn't even close to executed well enough to be mentioned in the same breath as WOW - a game I played in fucking college. Playing this after playing WOW is like getting out of a Porsche 911 and into a Nissan GTR. Ya, the GTR is fast as fuck and looks nice. But the feeling you get while driving one vs the other is night and day and not really worthy of discussion.

I couldn't make it past level 5 in this, and I can't really put my finger on why. Not sure where all the money invested in this went, as it lacks even basic polish. TESO, another piece of shit MMO feels light years beyond where this game is at the moment and that should say everything.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Haven't played this in a while because I didn't want to burn out before it was released, but I logged into this beta weekend for a play.

Wow, they've really messed things up. The new UI is cluttered and terrible, they've managed to put even more shit on the screen so you can't see anything that's going on. Worst of all, healing just feels absolutely terrible now. I don't know how, but on the medic what was once a dynamic and awesome experience now feels like if someone is going to die I can't do a single thing to prevent it. Just stand there and spam my mediocre heals running out of focus extremely quickly. Really giving some thought to cancelling my pre-order, what a mess.

Helldiver

Haven't played this in a while because I didn't want to burn out before it was released, but I logged into this beta weekend for a play.

Wow, they've really messed things up. The new UI is cluttered and terrible, they've managed to put even more shit on the screen so you can't see anything that's going on. Worst of all, healing just feels absolutely terrible now. I don't know how, but on the medic what was once a dynamic and awesome experience now feels like if someone is going to die I can't do a single thing to prevent it. Just stand there and spam my mediocre heals running out of focus extremely quickly. Really giving some thought to cancelling my pre-order, what a mess.
This.

Ended up cancelling my subscription just in case I forget (since it's going to use Paypal). I'm out $48, meh, had fun trying it out and all. But none of my friends want to play and they all seemed to have gone for TESO instead.

Wasn't able to move the UI without an add-on (I don't feel like having Curse running in the background), they removed the quest tracker (I'm thinking it's got to be a bug), and their chat is now fudged for some people. Not being able to easily customize my action hotbars was beginning to aggravate me.

Helldiver

ui (including unit frames) should be freely movable now; quest tracker is buggy and sometimes doesn't show with the current patch
How? How do you move the hotbars? How do you move the long useless rectangles on the bottom of the screen?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The quest tracker addon not working is a pretty big deal, also noticeable is that the level 15 Adventure is buggy as hell and simply non functional. There are lots of decisions you make while levelling your character with respect to AMPs and abilities that are an IQ check (such as AMPs modifying abilities at level 15 that you cannot use until level 18).

I honestly think the game looked more like a release candidate back in October than it does now!

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I honestly think the game looked more like a release candidate back in October than it does now!
Breaking more things and fixing fewer things of consequence seems like a poor idea so close to release. After the first 1/2 of this weekend, I'm quite turned off (but have nothing else to do).

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Servers down for 15 minutes for some fix or the other. I'm only level 6 but I'm having fun. Playing as a Mordesh - Engineer - Settler and it's not bad. I have come across a crash bug, stuck in random spot bug, pet sometimes (not often) disappears for a minute or so bug but it hasn't made my experience painful. I woudln't mind a bit more difficulty but the telegraphs aren't an issue bad at level 6 (obviously).

It's a nice change of pace from TESO where I can sometimes get bogged down in the books of text for quests.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think UI looks better. LOOKS better. Whether or not it's more practical is definitely up for debate.

Devnull_sl

shitlord
New UI is an improvement, but buggy as hell. Not sure if quest indicators are broken on the minimap or just intentionally not there. FPS is much better. Still can't find a class that doesn't play like shit. Still hate sprint and having an ability that is basically an auto-attack that doesn't automatically cast.

Anyone that has managed to suffer through to a higher level have any feed back on the classes? Medic/Stalker are probably my candidates. They're the only 2 classes that seem interesting and my level 1-15 impression is that stalker is the most OP class ever created and medic is a limp noodle for both dps and heals.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Played for the first time -- was about what I expected. I'll likely buy it, I'm a sucker for group content and it seems like they want to make challenging group content. I have fond memories of TBC Heroics (before faceroll gear) and Rift T2s (before massive nerfs).

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
New UI is an improvement, but buggy as hell. Not sure if quest indicators are broken on the minimap or just intentionally not there. FPS is much better. Still can't find a class that doesn't play like shit. Still hate sprint and having an ability that is basically an auto-attack that doesn't automatically cast.

Anyone that has managed to suffer through to a higher level have any feed back on the classes? Medic/Stalker are probably my candidates. They're the only 2 classes that seem interesting and my level 1-15 impression is that stalker is the most OP class ever created and medic is a limp noodle for both dps and heals.
Havent played stalker at all. Out of the 3 healing classes, medic feels (felt) like the only one that wasn't clunky as shit to play. Esper used to be fun with soothe spam builders, but now it only builds at 2 or more. They did change it so that you can soothe whilst running, but it just feels really clunky to me. Yes, the previous iteration of the esper was probably OP, but they could have changed it and kept the same fun, dynamic playstyle. But nope.

Medic heals feel ok to me, but focus is a concern. Seems to have moved from never having to worry about it to being a major issue, and there are a lot of complaints about it pvp-wise and never dropping combat.

They also seem to have changed the damage output in the lower dungeons, or STL at least, and this is my major issue if it sets a precedent for the rest of the game. First of all early in the beta in STL there were mobs that hit hard but were ok to heal, however they had some mechanics that would totally destroy people, especially the first boss who had wisps that would one shot you. The upside to this was if people were on top of their game, the rest of the healing was manageable and fun. Then they nerfed everything in STL to where it was a total snorefest, and probably too easy. Now, in the current patch, various trash mobs and bosses (first boss, adds on second etc) hit for nearly half a tanks hp each hit, whilst the actual telegraphs of the boss fights are not that high in damage. THIS IS NOT A FUN WAY TO PLAY A GAME AS A HEALER, NOR DOES IT REWARD SKILL. Basically, even with spamming max heals in 550+ SP and using innate, tanks just drop to shit autoattacks. As a healer currently I feel totally useless. There is no skill involved, just all the autoattack damage has been ramped up to the point its just irritating to heal. Im busting out CDs just to heal shit unavoidable white damage.

If they bumped up focus regen a little, made the auto attacks hit for less but the telegraphs of the boss fight be more unforgiving (which is what they actually had much earlier in the beta, although probably a little too extreme with one shots) the game would be a hell of a lot more fun for healers. I have no idea why they are changing the things they are changing.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Really dislike the quest journal. It just seems so overly cluttered. Lists that have lists under lists. Streamline this shit please.