Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
If the dungeons are half as difficult as Rift at release I'll be shocked. I have enjoyed the different types of content though, I just wonder how much staying power it has once the 40 man grind sets in. If I had no interest in raiding I wouldn't be playing at all.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
f2p is all MMO's these days so there's nothing unique in that description.
wink.png

Games okay, there's lots to do, once you get combat down it's enjoyable, there are some difficult group dungeons to keep you coming back for more.

-shrug- Graphics don't bug me so the complaint about that i don't really care about personally. My machine is newer and I have zero issues with FPS. I'm in line with what Gilgamel said pretty much.
Honestly, my only real complaints so far:

• UI is hit or miss, but I guess there's mods.
  • One weapon per class... I HATED this in SWOTR and I hate it here. Not sure why I despise it so much, it just feels like it robs the player of a quintessential RPG character choice.
  • Abilities seem difficult to decipher at times. I don't know why but there's some disconnect in how messy a lot of the skill tooltips are when trying to look at opportunity cost. In WoW before talent revamp there would be a few key decisions that you could eyeball and feel good about, even if it might not mean the best DPS 30 levels later while raiding hardcore. This game seems built from the ground up to need EJ style DPS modelling nerds to figure out basic skill choices. I think the content is easy enough that it doesn't REALLY matter, but it still nags you.
  • Ground clutter of items. Maybe this is more a problem with the early zones, but it's really obnoxious when there's piles of crap everywhere and you're looking for <randomly named tech device 4>.
  • Quest 'helpers' are tedious... minimap and 'usable' items don't really stand out, have to keep clicking the button to get a temporary arrow to the general area. Either make it hard... or make it easy... not tedious.

But all things considered, it feels like a well-worn pair of shoes. Not that glamorous and new but certainly comfortable.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Hmmm, I played for about 4 hours last night, everything was fine EXCEPT, what's the deal with no mouselook speed? My cursor moves perfectly, but hold right click down and move my mouse over 1 inch and my character spins about 30 times ultra fast as far as I can tell. I have to make the smallest little nudge movements to turn with the mouse. I turned down cursor speed through the mouse software, and that seems to pretty much fix the mouselook issue, but then the cursor becomes useless. Super weird, never had anything like this in any other game. Is this the mouse problem someone was talking about a few pages back?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Honestly, my only real complaints so far:

• UI is hit or miss, but I guess there's mods.
  • One weapon per class... I HATED this in SWOTR and I hate it here. Not sure why I despise it so much, it just feels like it robs the player of a quintessential RPG character choice.
  • Abilities seem difficult to decipher at times. I don't know why but there's some disconnect in how messy a lot of the skill tooltips are when trying to look at opportunity cost. In WoW before talent revamp there would be a few key decisions that you could eyeball and feel good about, even if it might not mean the best DPS 30 levels later while raiding hardcore. This game seems built from the ground up to need EJ style DPS modelling nerds to figure out basic skill choices. I think the content is easy enough that it doesn't REALLY matter, but it still nags you.
  • Ground clutter of items. Maybe this is more a problem with the early zones, but it's really obnoxious when there's piles of crap everywhere and you're looking for <randomly named tech device 4>.
  • Quest 'helpers' are tedious... minimap and 'usable' items don't really stand out, have to keep clicking the button to get a temporary arrow to the general area. Either make it hard... or make it easy... not tedious.

But all things considered, it feels like a well-worn pair of shoes. Not that glamorous and new but certainly comfortable.
All pretty valid stuff, your final analogy is pretty spot on.

odekthal_sl

shitlord
i want to disagree on the "only one weapon" point as people will always go for that one item that benefits their role the most anyway, disregarding looks. but then again since they have their own version of tranmogrification some more variety would have been nice.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
i want to disagree on the "only one weapon" point as people will always go for that one item that benefits their role the most anyway, disregarding looks. but then again since they have their own version of tranmogrification some more variety would have been nice.
I know illusion of choice vs actual choice... but RPGs are an illusion on top of numbers being compared against each other with formulas. It's like picking between 4-5 roughly identical car models. Utility and capabilities are roughly similar, but the sexy factor is still important.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Eh, it wasn't just an illusion. At least last time I played wow, classes often had at least 2 decent choices for weapons. You could go MH+OH or Staff as a caster, and you could go axe/sword as a warrior(mace sucked for pve so they were mostly pvp weapons), rogues could go dagger/swords, hunters could go xbow/bow/gun, DK could go whatever they wanted. It wasn't like "pick any weapon you like" and at certain tiers the options for specific weapon types were a fuckton worse than other options because blizz itemization, and in general iirc staves were never as good as MH+OH(but you only needed one drop, which was a lot easier to gear up for obviously and being worse you'd have less competition when one dropped unless it was early in a new tier). But still, if you wanted to play a 2H sword warrior only, you could do that. If you wanted to be a dual wield axe warrior instead, you could also do that.

I mean, I don't mind it personally, but it was a thing. Don't know how it is nowadays.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's only choice if itemization isn't shit and itemization is usually shit if they never fully fleshed out the design for numerous classes and specs. Well their design is a MOBA crossover into an MMO world with only 6 hero choices and no weapon customization but OMG hardcore 20/40 people! We're talking a backbone that has less diversity than WoW vanilla and certainly not TBC spec diversity.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There's only choice if itemization isn't shit and itemization is usually shit if they never fully fleshed out the design for numerous classes and specs. Well their design is a MOBA crossover into an MMO world with only 6 hero choices and no weapon customization but OMG hardcore 20/40 people! We're talking a backbone that has less diversity than WoW vanilla and certainly not TBC spec diversity.
That's kind of silly. Vanilla WoW at the beginning: Paladins spec ret and cast holy light while whacking the boss. Warriors spec arms and sunder with a shield on. Your one druid cast hots on everybody, because they didn't stack. Hunter? Well, thank god you had tranq shot! Mage + TOEP = OK. Mage - TOEP = lol. Warlock = ???.

Not to say Wildstar is the bastion of character freedom, but I'd rather a game start with a solid core and enough diversity to be engaging instead of becoming Rift where there are so many choices, nobody cares.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After playing Tera, B&S and a few other games I think I have just become numb to the idea of 1 weapon per class.

Mainly Tera and it literally took nothing from the game, I never stopped and thought "man I wish I could use a staff" as a mystic. It also helped when they started putting weapon skins in to give you some fun and variety in looks(but still keep that base 1 weapon feel down).

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
If the dungeons are half as difficult as Rift at release I'll be shocked. I have enjoyed the different types of content though, I just wonder how much staying power it has once the 40 man grind sets in. If I had no interest in raiding I wouldn't be playing at all.
I've done both and i regard ws veteran dungeons the same, if not harder imho, than rift ones difficulty wise (adventures are generally easier). Level of mobility and coordination required is very high, specially when needing to rotate IA on a very short time, plus having backup in case of miss/resist (happens if you not at hitcap), on a very frantic type of fights.
Regarding the raids, from what they said, it was one (if not the one) of their main goal to cater a game for people who would want a challenge. Elder game is imho where the game shines. And ya, i wouldnt play the game either if it wasnt for that.

Staying power is up to them, and how fast they can pop out contents. All in all tho, i think wildstard has one of the largest endgame content at release (considering adventure/dungeons/and number of bosses in the 2 raids). We will see i guess.

I dont think the game will be too successfull tho, i mean good playes will have no problem as usual, but most of mmo players are far from good, and imho once those people will hit 50, they ll find quite the brick wall (just look at the attunement required to enter the raid zone).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's kind of silly. Vanilla WoW at the beginning:
So when someone makes an argument that WS falls short on class/spec design and isn't even a good TBC clone, your argument is "Well... compared to Molten Core..." and the answer still sucks?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't understand how it falls short? I mean its not say teso/AA style, where I can use any weapon, armor or skill tree I want, but its on par or greater then the usual MMO class setups.

Caliane

when you all say, you want more weapons, do you mean visually, or mechanically?
Like, wow and xbow/bow/gun which was more racial based,and thus stat'd exactly the same, and has no effect on skill use. (not true with all wWoW weapons of course, as many are stat'd, different. and varying attack speeds)
or, like GW2, were weapons outright define what skills you have.

Visually, yeah totally on board. Mechanically. while I find GW2 interesting. don't feel like I need that in every game. And in fact, its nice to be able to choose a weapon on THEME, and not have it break my build.
Big fan of sword/focus wizards. And dang is it annoying being forced into a specific weapon category.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
So yeah, for a performance fix go to your wildstar directory, go to the wildstar 64 directory, and make a shortcut for that executable. I was using the 32 bit client and apparently so is everyone else since that's the default. Noticeable increase in performance for me making the switch.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So yeah, for a performance fix go to your wildstar directory, go to the wildstar 64 directory, and make a shortcut for that executable. I was using the 32 bit client and apparently so is everyone else since that's the default. Noticeable increase in performance for me making the switch.
This helped for me but it appears my only real bottleneck is High Textures. I can run with just about every other setting maxed but High Textures takes me to single digit fps.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So when someone makes an argument that WS falls short on class/spec design and isn't even a good TBC clone, your argument is "Well... compared to Molten Core..." and the answer still sucks?
You said it had less diversity than WoW Vanilla. That's silly. My argument is still that a solid core breeds a better game long term than an overdeveloped list of options that a lot of games have fallen prey to in an attempt to match the breadth of content that WoW has at this stage. It certainly isn't reasonable. Again, I don't like where Wildstar is right now with customization, but if it gets off the ground they can easily introduce classes and abilities to add depth without turning it into EQ2 like WoW did.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Did the first adventure tonight. I gotta say the randoms are going to have MASSIVE problems. It wasn't remotely difficult but even getting people to understand the concept of interrupt armor and when we should use them was impossible. Not to mention people just randomly aggroing shit and refusing to let the tank pull(trust me I move very quickly, it wasn't due to pace). Really hope there is a combat rez at some point.

Have to say the Call of the Hero for Scientist and the Evac for Soldier seems good. Settler buffs are also good. Adventurer seems shit. It seems to take a long time to level questing in this game no matter how fast you move. I wonder if I'm, missing something when people claim to be able to hit 50 in 48 hours played.