Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Dakim & some of us were saying the same thing last night, we're all just spread out playing random shit once again. Every MMO now we've become part of the one month crowd we used to despise. We'll see with the EQN Alpha but who the hell knows,Wildstar was the coming of jesus during raid testing.
So where is your world first Datascape kill already!? Letting me down. =(

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Dakim & some of us were saying the same thing last night, we're all just spread out playing random shit once again. Every MMO now we've become part of the one month crowd we used to despise. We'll see with the EQN Alpha but who the hell knows, Wildstar was the coming of jesus during raid testing.
The raiding is the one part of the game I'm still pretty enamored with. You guys just decide it wasn't worth the rest of the shit during beta? I honestly don't know if I could go back to same old same old combat after this game.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Dakim & some of us were saying the same thing last night, we're all just spread out playing random shit once again. Every MMO now we've become part of the one month crowd we used to despise. We'll see with the EQN Alpha but who the hell knows, Wildstar was the coming of jesus during raid testing.
You guys sound like the equivalent of a bunch of kids that went to high school together, graduated and then got bummed out that everyone didn't go to the same college afterwards, and couldn't find new friends in the new city where you got jobs. Should know by now there is no Fountain of Youth in life or in gaming.

Just don't turn into Uncle Rico and start throwing footballs around the forums, k?

rrr_img_72445.jpg

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jack, are you projecting on me and my friends? Who gives a fuck about an online fountain of youth please lol

@Gilg, not really sure its one thing. I think its a combination of just playing too much in alpha's. Raiding and games are supposed to be fun, when they arent I dont know I just dont play anymore. Morian and Sz can maybe give different opinions from their sides, we're all in different guilds and some of our buddies are on RR's server just the other faction as No Quarter.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Jack, are you projecting on me and my friends? Who gives a fuck about an online fountain of youth please lol
Hmm.. reread what I wrote. I guess it came off the wrong way.

Reading your convo with "whaddup ma Chinese Wakandan and homey peeps" and with what you were talking about didn't sound like 30 or 40yr olds talking about video games necessarily; just sounded funny to me. No harm. Wasn't psychoanalyzing.

All good ma' dog. Wasn't throwing shade on your local or trying to flip the script. (did I say that right?)

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was laughing my ass off at fountain of youth man, that shit is pretty funny =p

I call TearofSoul my Chinese Wakandan because he's Asian and my Wakandan.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
I love some people's arguments. Whenever a bland, crappy, derivative MMO like Wildstar comes out and people quit after, "one month", it's always THEIR fault and it's because they just don't enjoy MMOs anymore. It's never the fault of the game being junk... amazing how that always seem to be the argument of fanbois.

No. Game sucks. That's why people quit after a month. Not because of some, "failure to relive the past" argument you're pulling out of your ass

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Well.. he is right about this game sucking.
The systems underneath it suck ass, but the game itself is pretty awesome. The dungeons are some of the best I've been through, and the raids are the best period. If their dev team, specifically class balance and itemization...and pvp.....and well everyone but the content design team, didn't suck the game might have a chance.

My own class is broken to hell right now, but I'm enjoying abusing their retarded design to make shit work in the meantime. All sorts of non-intended workarounds are possible due to the ridiculous crafting system and the rune system. But yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath with regards to them turning this into some long term winner, that's for sure. I just hope it stays fun long enough to clear all the current content.

skylan_sl

shitlord
The online fountain of youth comment does hold some truth. I'm 32 now, I was 17 when I started playing EQ. The difference in free time is night and day compared to 1999, hell I don't even have any kids yet. Just a wife and 2 dogs. I don't have time for raiding, and I don't want my free time dictated by the availability of 20-40 other people.

Out of all the mmorpg's to come out in the past 5-7 years I'd have to say FFXIV was my favorite, because the journey to max level was actually fun. I get really burned out once you get to the larger group content. Not to mention every boss fight in an mmorpg now is a "dance dance revolution" fest. I don't want to memorize 5 waves of a boss that throws red spots on the ground in a pattern over and over again in order to progress. Maybe I'm just lazy now.

Wildstar leveling is horrible, for me at least. There's 20 quests in each area that give a fraction of a percentage of experience for completion. Their new "ultra revamped" quest system of getting a percentage of the quest completed for each mob killed is essentially just the same kill "X" mobs to complete, but now I have to do fucking math to figure out how many more mobs are needed. The pvp was fun, the first few times - but it's very repetitive. The dungeons were fun, but forget about doing PUGs unless you're a well geared, skilled tank. If you're not, you're going to spend about 15-30 minutes waiting to get into a dungeon and then you'll either join a shit group in progress or you'll get a horrible tank that leaves after he takes a double AoE and dies, after blaming it on the healer.

I guess I'm not experienced enough in the game to fully comment on it, I honestly haven't been able to get a character past 24. I just get bored too quickly. Maybe I'll suck it up and try to level further, but the population in the zones I've been in is dropping quickly and I'm thinking the groups are going to be fewer and further between.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It says something when most people on here don't have the time/energy/focus/etc. to devote serious time into a MMORPG anymore to the point where you can get past that first month. If that's happening with this crowd, which on average is supposed to represent a more dedicated player to this genre then what you do expect the casual player is going to do. Very few people play games, any game for that matter for long periods of time (read: months). Even single player RPG's that have a ton of content (think Skyrim), what's the average amount of time people devote to that, a month?

The days of old school MMORPG's where you were subbed for at least a year and probably more are long gone. There is too much other shit to do and play and really it's not like devs are designing the content so that it's a slow slog that takes months to get to max level. The average player just wants to consume the content, preferably at their own pacing (usually fast) and then they are gone. One of these days a dev will design a game where the carrot at the end is big enough to constantly entice the playerbase to keep playing their game. It used to be that you stayed with a game for awhile because most of the people you knew (guild) was still playing but when 75% of all players are dropping after the first month, everyone else just follows them out the door.

I think this game boils down to you either love it or hate it. No in between. I cant fucking stand it. I honestly do not know if I have played a game with a shittier leveling experience. I really do not believe the online fountain of youth stuff. I know TONS of people that have multiple kids, jobs, etc and they say they do not have time for games yet they are online every night playing several games a little at a time like diablo, hearthstone and a few other. A new game comes out and they all the sudden have time to play 6 hours a night for a month till they realize the game is boring and grindy and do not want to play anymore.

There is just no variety anymore. No real outdoor zones where you can just go out and kill random mobs and rare bosses for a chance at loot and a change of pace because its all so on rails and they want to funnel you exactly down 1 path. Endgame for most games now consists of speed runs through the same few places over and over and dailies over and over and Im sorry but that shits boring and lame. Wildstar essentially for my tastes took almost everything shitty from every MMO since WoW and put it in one game.

It just wasnt for me and thats ok if people dig the style I just really wish a MMO or two would come out and actually be different instead of having 10 MMO's that are basically all the same at the core.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
I think this game boils down to you either love it or hate it. No in between. I cant fucking stand it. I honestly do not know if I have played a game with a shittier leveling experience. I really do not believe the online fountain of youth stuff. I know TONS of people that have multiple kids, jobs, etc and they say they do not have time for games yet they are online every night playing several games a little at a time like diablo, hearthstone and a few other. A new game comes out and they all the sudden have time to play 6 hours a night for a month till they realize the game is boring and grindy and do not want to play anymore.

There is just no variety anymore. No real outdoor zones where you can just go out and kill random mobs and rare bosses for a chance at loot and a change of pace because its all so on rails and they want to funnel you exactly down 1 path. Endgame for most games now consists of speed runs through the same few places over and over and dailies over and over and Im sorry but that shits boring and lame. Wildstar essentially for my tastes took almost everything shitty from every MMO since WoW and put it in one game.

It just wasnt for me and thats ok if people dig the style I just really wish a MMO or two would come out and actually be different instead of having 10 MMO's that are basically all the same at the core.
that's pretty much what I say in response to every new MMO. Nothing will ever change as long as one way is better than another at making money. You don't actually think people make these games for you to enjoy / have fun and to create something new, inventive and inspiring. An MMO isn't a work of art for you to experience, it's all about getting you initial $60 box sale. That's why MMO hype machines seem to start 5-10 years before they're actually released lol.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
It says something when most people on here don't have the time/energy/focus/etc. to devote serious time into a MMORPG anymore to the point where you can get past that first month. If that's happening with this crowd, which on average is supposed to represent a more dedicated player to this genre then what you do expect the casual player is going to do. Very few people play games, any game for that matter for long periods of time (read: months). Even single player RPG's that have a ton of content (think Skyrim), what's the average amount of time people devote to that, a month?

The days of old school MMORPG's where you were subbed for at least a year and probably more are long gone. There is too much other shit to do and play and really it's not like devs are designing the content so that it's a slow slog that takes months to get to max level. The average player just wants to consume the content, preferably at their own pacing (usually fast) and then they are gone. One of these days a dev will design a game where the carrot at the end is big enough to constantly entice the playerbase to keep playing their game. It used to be that you stayed with a game for awhile because most of the people you knew (guild) was still playing but when 75% of all players are dropping after the first month, everyone else just follows them out the door.
Truth spoken there. This is why I wonder about WildStar's long term health and stability.

Most MMOs use that same, tired formula: Fast grind to 50 (even for most casuals), and then the treadmill of dungeon running and daily reputations start (I think TSW was the exception with puzzles). Most people who know MMOs even remotely understand that's going to be the vast majority of their daily process while playing and to some degree, accept it. They do this because they know the devs are still making new content (because they constantly remind you that they are) so you have to "stay tuned to that Bat channel" for two or three more months until they get there. Even most of the casuals can decently gear themselves out in a typical MMO to where they can complete a decent portion of the raid content with guide and Tuber help, and that's what they do in the meantime until it arrives. That's what keeps the dream alive.

The problem for WildStar is that at level 20, the BandAid of Illusion is ripped off none so gently, and early on the casuals realize with just 5 people that "Holy shit.. this game is brutal." Even experienced gamers see that. So that big dream of raiding is almost instantly dashed with reality... there really isn't any carrot of "One day you too can beat Stormtalon Gold!" for most and they know it but they continue on leveling because they have that month paid. Some drop off before that because hey, why wait for the inevitable?... and just get it over with not wanting to waste time.

For the small portion that make it to 50 (I'm not convinced a lot do) and they start that fourth level of Dante's Inferno, Attunements, shit just got real. Sure they try to muddle through it but the PUGs are even worse than 20-49 was... not better, and they know it. They slug through gearing problems, slug through waiting around for crafting mats, slug through people dropping out, etc. In other MMOs, once you hit 50 the PUGs are halfway competent because the content isn't as unforgiving as it is in WildStar so you can lose even two/three people in a dungeon because you can either rez them or kite through a victory TOR, Rift, or FFXIV, or even run back into the instance in some. Hell, even GW2 crappy dungeons let anyone rez people. Not here. So all that time you just spent inside of it is now wasted for many. Hours.

So now that they've tasted all the content in the game, it's either:

1. Run impossibly hard dungeons (for most) even at the basest level over/over with very little improvement or progressive hope
2. Run the same initially fun (but ultimately boring) PvP
3. Play dolly with your Rocket House.

That's it right now. There isn't any more to be done in this game to make someone want to log in. Who in their right mind rerolls through the yawning leveling content, even on the other faction there? Not many, at least for long.

In fairness to WStar, every game has this problem to some extent but with WStar there is that finality learned early (about raiding) that crushes a lot of souls. Even games like TOR and FFXIV had people leave until they made up more content but the difference is, the content those games added made it worth waiting around for the base (casuals) with extended crafting and job system (FFXIV), space missions (TOR), or other gimmicks (rifts in Rift, puzzles in TSW, RvRvR and exploration in GW2, etc) .

I really don't see anything Carbine is adding to make anyone who doesn't want to crazy raid or PvP worth logging in for in their plans. It really just screams one-trick Pony.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
...Sure they try to muddle through it but the PUGs are even worse than 20-49 was... not better, and they know it. They slug through gearing problems, slug through waiting around for crafting mats, slug through people dropping out, etc. In other MMOs, once you hit 50 the PUGs are halfway competent because the content isn't as unforgiving as it is in WildStar...
I blame the lack of competency with dungeon running on the lack of rewards for dungeon running while leveling. The reason so many people find them difficult is because the required tactics for completing dungeons aren't introduced tomostplayers until they reach 50 and start seriously doing the content.

If there were a reason/reward for running dungeons during the leveling process, I'd bet more people would be proficient at them. Unfortunately, the risk v. reward for completing dungeons/adventures is totally out of balance. I'm not sure why the developers decided to make them so unrewarding during the leveling process, as it seems to artificially limit the amount of content new/leveling players will experience by virtue of the rewards structure.